multi-track recording solution

viktor80

hi

I'm looking for a good multi-track recording solution for home studio to record several separate instruments simultaneously each track in separate channel for minimum 5 but better 8 channels

in the main I'm interested in Zoom R24 or Zoom R16 Multitrack SD Recorder, question is what is the main and important difference and the basic advantages between Zooms and TASCAM DP-24 and which one is better and better for me ?

please recommend a device that I need comparatively not very expensive

also I'm interested in opinions about :

Behringer FCA1616
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Presonus FireStudio
Mackie onyx mixer
Audiofire

thx

Lot of people like stand-alone recorders for their portability and ease of use, but having started my recording with one and moving on to computer, I wish I had never started that way - using a full-featured DAW (like Reaper) is so much more versatile. yes there is a learnign curve, but its worth it.
As to audio interfaces, do you have Firewire capability on your computer? It's not necessary these days in order to do 8+ tracks of simultaneous tracking.

Lot of people like stand-alone recorders for their portability and ease of use, but having started my recording with one and moving on to computer, I wish I had never started that way - using a full-featured DAW (like Reaper) is so much more versatile. yes there is a learnign curve, but its worth it.
As to audio interfaces, do you have Firewire capability on your computer? It's not necessary these days in order to do 8+ tracks of simultaneous tracking.

thx for quick answer

yes I have firewire of course I can record each instrument separately, but we have a band guitar, bass, synth, piano, drums, vocals and we want to make some records so that is why we need record simultaneously

I've had a Zoom R24 for a few years now and absolutely love it. The freedom to throw it in my backpack and do stand-alone recording with 8 inputs, then dump to the computer and continue with it as a USB interface has been very valuable to me.

If you do a lot of recording away from the computer (on location, etc.) then the R24 is a great tool. It's also a great interface, but I needed something with more outputs to run external effects/re-amp, etc. so I recently got a Roland Octa-Capture (8-in/8-out USB interface) and go straight to Reaper. Like mjbphotos mentioned above, it's a lot more powerful that way, so my R24 is on Craigslist right now (in Canada, so probably not worth it to you after shipping, etc.).

That said, If you don't need the extra outputs and like the idea of stand-alone recording then I highly recommend the R24.

I've had a Zoom R24 for a few years now and absolutely love it. The freedom to throw it in my backpack and do stand-alone recording with 8 inputs, then dump to the computer and continue with it as a USB interface has been very valuable to me.

If you do a lot of recording away from the computer (on location, etc.) then the R24 is a great tool. It's also a great interface, but I needed something with more outputs to run external effects/re-amp, etc. so I recently got a Roland Octa-Capture (8-in/8-out USB interface) and go straight to Reaper. Like mjbphotos mentioned above, it's a lot more powerful that way, so my R24 is on Craigslist right now (in Canada, so probably not worth it to you after shipping, etc.).

That said, If you don't need the extra outputs and like the idea of stand-alone recording then I highly recommend the R24.

thx for answer

some of the reviews from amazon :S there is also a lot of good reviews but... maybe it is a just skepticism... anyway what you think about this as owner?

"I thought this was going to be the cat's pajamas for recording with condenser mics, but not so. You have to fiddle with the gain to find the quietest position and keep the sliders very low to avoid noise, which is not ideal for recording because then you bring the entire noise floor up when you try to mix down with decent levels. Too bad really because every other function is pretty nice. I ended up having to do my voice over work with dynamic mics because of the noise problems using phantom power. The other huge drawback is the units inability to function as a control surface for the most popular DAW out there - ProTools. I had to abandon the included Cubase software due to its buggy operation. If you're running Win7 64 bit, I'd suggest you don't even bother with the included Cubase software. I got it to work one time and even then it was acting strange. I couldn't recommend this product if you want to produce a quality recording. The unit is lightweight and feels sort of cheap. Spend your $500 on something better. I'm sending it back. For $550 I was expecting a MUCH higher quality build. Seems easy enough to use. I couldn't preview
drum patterns while playing my guitar. The 1/4" inputs are VERY stiff. I thought I was going to break the unit just inserting and removing a guitar cable! That was enough to have me spend this much money elsewhere".

"- Effects: Every type of overdrive and distortion sounds like the same digital garbage. Not even passable.
- Dynamics: The recorder is very sensitive and unfortunately the noise reduction feature is useless. You will not be able to record single-coil guitars without a dedication NR (noise reduction) pedal. EQ and pan are tedious to use without a single dedicated knob.
- Small display: Given the number of menus you have to go through, the tiny screen is torture. My 10-year-old iPod has a larger screen with more intuitive menu (and it's in color).
- Built-in drums: The R24 (as opposed to the R16) is advertised as having a built-in drum machine. It does not have a built-in drum machine. What it has is a built-in set of electronic rhythm patterns and a USB stick with a bunch of samples. In order to use any of these to create actual drum tracks for actual songs, you must record one pattern at a time to independent tracks and then sequence them. One track per pattern. I cannot even imagine how much time, how many sleepless nights, how many pots of coffee, and how many tracks it would take to piece together an actual song with a realistic variety of drum patterns. The patterns also cannot have insert effects, dynamics, or EQ applied to them so-- while they sound marginal-- you cannot do anything to make them sound better."

interesting to listen to recordings made ​​with this R24

Those reviews are overly harsh, if you ask me. I've been using an R24 for a few years with no quality/build issues and never had a problem with condenser mics at all.

These 2 cover songs were recorded using mostly the R24, then dumping into Reaper for final mix, etc.:

This one uses mainly just the onboard condenser mics for the male vocals and acoustic guitar:

That said, I have moved on to the Roland Octa-Capture as my main interface (needed 8-in/8-out via USB, as Firewire is getting scarce) and it's amazing. Can't do stand-alone recording though...

Oh, and I should say that I don't think those 2 recordings are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but their shortcomings are my fault as an amateur player/engineer and not the R24 I was using. ;)

Oh, and I should say that I don't think those 2 recordings are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but their shortcomings are my fault as an amateur player/engineer and not the R24 I was using. ;)

I think you made the point that the source is good quality. By the way, I kind of liked how the female singer was not total spot on. The second time around was a bit much, but the first one had a certain "charm/innocence" to it. You might think on working that out a little more.

I think you made the point that the source is good quality. By the way, I kind of liked how the female singer was not total spot on. The second time around was a bit much, but the first one had a certain "charm/innocence" to it. You might think on working that out a little more.

Thanks for listening! Those are a year or two old now and we've tried to refine the dual vocal idea a little since (I definitely agree that being off slightly can add charm sometimes, but doesn't always work).

Hopefully some of this is useful to the OP in his gear search, as I've gone through a bunch of things trying to find the 'right' interface.

Those reviews are overly harsh, if you ask me. I've been using an R24 for a few years with no quality/build issues and never had a problem with condenser mics at all.

These 2 cover songs were recorded using mostly the R24, then dumping into Reaper for final mix, etc.:

This one uses mainly just the onboard condenser mics for the male vocals and acoustic guitar:

That said, I have moved on to the Roland Octa-Capture as my main interface (needed 8-in/8-out via USB, as Firewire is getting scarce) and it's amazing. Can't do stand-alone recording though...

nice tracks. thank you for this example! now I have to decide... I'm a bit worried about plastic casing... of course I'm not going to hammer nails but anyway it looks very fragile or not?

I'm a bit worried about plastic casing... of course I'm not going to hammer nails but anyway it looks very fragile or not?

The plastic put me off a bit at first, but I've since carried it with me all over and never had a single issue---the bonus is that it is really light in a backpack! My Octa-Capture definitely feels more sturdy though.

The two Dog Is Blue tracks are fine. Thanks for posting them, and for showing that the Zoom machines are just fine. The "shortcomings" of the two recordings aren't significant, and to my ears are the result of less attention to eq'ing than was needed. They're just a little muddy and not so well defined in the high bass and very low midrange. I am planning to go with a Zoom R16 and mix to Tascam DR-40 through a parametric e.q. The outputs of the DR-40 would then go to a HHb BurnIT CD recorder. I'm looking at three e.q. units right now: Kush Electra, Tonelux Equalux, and JDK R24, but can't decide which. My situation is unique, but I would MUCH rather spend time making music and getting the most out of stand-alone equipment than to go through the arduous learning curve of DAW, until I can do all of this full time and no longer have the noose of the 40-hour college teaching job around my neck.

My situation is unique, but I would MUCH rather spend time making music and getting the most out of stand-alone equipment than to go through the arduous learning curve of DAW, until I can do all of this full time and no longer have the noose of the 40-hour college teaching job around my neck.

I can think of worse types of a noose. :eek:

Back