MR8 questions

aceteleman

I recently bought a Fostex MR8 to record my original material. So far the only problems I've had with it are the size of the CompactFlash card that came with it (too small 129mb) and can only record about 2 tracks before it runs out of room. I'm gonna fix that by getting a bigger one.

My other problem is getting it to interface with my recording program on my computer. On the recommendation of the guy at the music store I bought a UNo midi interface but I couldn't get it to work. Thought I'd try to save my tracks to my Cakewalk program but I couldn't get the tracks to sync up. Any ideas about that???[/FONT][/B]

My recommendation is, if it's still within the period you can return it, send it back and get the version with the hard drive in it, it's much more useful. Extra inputs, much bigger storage. As to interfacing with your recording program, can't help you there, sorry.

Go to the Fostex website and download a program for the MR-8 called Wave Manager. Then connect the MR-8 to your pc with a usb cable and use the wave manager to send the tracks to the pc. Then import them into your recording software.

or if your pc has a card reader just stick your fostex card in their and copy the individual wav files to your pc. Thats what i was doing, before i got into the all out pc firewire interface recording mode

Wave Manager

Thanks for that info I'll give that a try. As far as CompactFlash cards, I was just looking at the info about the problems of using various CF's that either do or don't work here on the BBS. I was concidering getting a 1gig but now I'm not so sure I want to spend the money not knowing if it will work or not in the MR8.

Unfortunatly, it's too late to take it back. I just saw the one with the 40gig hd built in, in the Musician's Friend catalog and it's only about $100 more than I paid for my MR8, wish I had the $$ cuz I'd nab one in heartbeat if I did. Maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery. lol

aceteleman said:
Thanks for that info I'll give that a try. As far as CompactFlash cards, I was just looking at the info about the problems of using various CF's that either do or don't work here on the BBS. I was concidering getting a 1gig but now I'm not so sure I want to spend the money not knowing if it will work or not in the MR8.

Unfortunatly, it's too late to take it back. I just saw the one with the 40gig hd built in, in the Musician's Friend catalog and it's only about $100 more than I paid for my MR8, wish I had the $$ cuz I'd nab one in heartbeat if I did. Maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery. lol
There are a couple updates for the MR-8 on the Fostex site too. Download them and it won't matter which CF card you have, they will all work.

MR8 downloads

Thanks again.... I'll look into the MR8 downloads for sure because I've been doing some research on the cf cards and I've seen some bad things from people who have used different cards than the recommended ones. So I've been a little afraid to indulge... But, as if you say, I can get the downloads from Fostex I'll do that asap, right after I get my new computer, which should be in the next day or so... Until tehn I'm not screwing with anymore downloads for a bit.... Ain't got a cd burner in this old puter (my old one crapped out finally!) and most of those kinda files are too big for a floppy.

FYI: I just signed up at a new musician referal site and have posted some music there, a couple of originals by an old band of mine and a couple of cover by my current band.... www.bandmix.com when ya get there go to Search, pcik ALL MUSICIANS at ZIP CODE 97401, That'll take you to my ugly picture, click VIEW PROFILE and you'll find an mp3 player there with 5 songs.
If Ya like it let me know, if ya don't, don't bother me... lol Gotta warn ya, it's country...

aceteleman said:
Thanks again.... I'll look into the MR8 downloads for sure because I've been doing some research on the cf cards and I've seen some bad things from people who have used different cards than the recommended ones. So I've been a little afraid to indulge... But, as if you say, I can get the downloads from Fostex I'll do that asap, right after I get my new computer, which should be in the next day or so... Until tehn I'm not screwing with anymore downloads for a bit.... Ain't got a cd burner in this old puter (my old one crapped out finally!) and most of those kinda files are too big for a floppy.
You don't need to save the files for the upgrades to a disk. Just save it to your desktop, connect the MR-8 via USB and drag the files into the drive it creates. The machine will do the rest when you reboot it according to the instructions in the read-me file.

Last edited:
Back