MR-8 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Reznor

I just got an MR-8, and I've been trying to transfer a song from my PC to the MR-8. The song on the PC is a .wav file, stereo and 44.1 khz. So is there any reason why it's not uploading to my Fostex unit? Do I need to make it a mono file because the transfer can only be one track at a time or what? I need to read that long ass manual again, but I thought you guys might be able to help faster. Thanks :)

Trent Reznor said:
I just got an MR-8, and I've been trying to transfer a song from my PC to the MR-8. The song on the PC is a .wav file, stereo and 44.1 khz. So is there any reason why it's not uploading to my Fostex unit? Do I need to make it a mono file because the transfer can only be one track at a time or what? I need to read that long ass manual again, but I thought you guys might be able to help faster. Thanks :)
You guessed it. They have to be mono. :D

Rokket said:
You guessed it. They have to be mono. :D
I just saved it as a mono track and tried it again and it did the same thing. It says...........

PC to MR-8

C:\Documents and Settings\Trent\Desktop\tr(TrNo).wav I click OK

then it says............

Overwrite Halo_20a? (Can't cancel.) I click OK

then it says...............

Select a wave file (which I've already done) the only thing you can do here is just click OK, so I do and it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? :(

Trent Reznor said:
I just saved it as a mono track and tried it again and it did the same thing. It says...........

PC to MR-8

C:\Documents and Settings\Trent\Desktop\tr(TrNo).wav I click OK

then it says............

Overwrite Halo_20a? (Can't cancel.) I click OK

then it says...............

Select a wave file (which I've already done) the only thing you can do here is just click OK, so I do and it does absolutely nothing. What am I doing wrong? :(

Make sure the .wav files are named "Tr01" or "Tr02" without the quotes. It will give you that "select wave file" if you don't have them named correctly. If they are named as Tr (zero, not letter "O") and a corresponding track number, it will select them automatically.

Rokket said:
Make sure the .wav files are named "Tr01" or "Tr02" without the quotes. It will give you that "select wave file" if you don't have them named correctly. If they are named as Tr (zero, not letter "O") and a corresponding track number, it will select them automatically.

Thanks, that almost got me working, but not quite.

Here is what I'm trying to do...I'm trying to take a song that has a few tracks on it, and put it on the MR-8, and it looks like it has to be just on one track, which I guess is ok, but if you know of a way to take a multi-track song from the PC and separate the tracks I'd be your best friend.... So anyway I used Goldwave to bring up the song, and I saved it as a mono Wav file. So I tried what you said and it would have worked but it still acted like it was a stereo file and it said stereo files aren't acceptable. So if you're familiar with GoldWave, how can I save it as a mono to make it actually look like a mono to the MR-8?

EDIT: I just renamed it from Tr03 to Tr01, and it is transferring it now :)

But does anyone know a way to use Goldwave or a different music editor to take a multi-track song and somehow separate the tracks?

Trent Reznor said:
Thanks, that almost got me working, but not quite.

Here is what I'm trying to do...I'm trying to take a song that has a few tracks on it, and put it on the MR-8, and it looks like it has to be just on one track, which I guess is ok, but if you know of a way to take a multi-track song from the PC and separate the tracks I'd be your best friend.... So anyway I used Goldwave to bring up the song, and I saved it as a mono Wav file. So I tried what you said and it would have worked but it still acted like it was a stereo file and it said stereo files aren't acceptable. So if you're familiar with GoldWave, how can I save it as a mono to make it actually look like a mono to the MR-8?

EDIT: I just renamed it from Tr03 to Tr01, and it is transferring it now :)

But does anyone know a way to use Goldwave or a different music editor to take a multi-track song and somehow separate the tracks?
I don't use GoldWave, I have Vegas 5.0, which I can go into the settings and change it to save as a mono wave. You still have to original file, so if it doesn't work, you can always try again. I don't know of any program that can split a .wav, I've never had to do it. But if you go on hitsquad.com, I think I remember something there called a wave splitter, but I am not sure how it works. Good luck, I am glad that I could get you this far!

EDIT: Wave Spitter just breaks up the wave into several small waves. It doesn't separate the tracks. I don't know if anything out there does...sorry! :o

Rokket said:
I don't use GoldWave, I have Vegas 5.0, which I can go into the settings and change it to save as a mono wave. You still have to original file, so if it doesn't work, you can always try again. I don't know of any program that can split a .wav, I've never had to do it. But if you go on hitsquad.com, I think I remember something there called a wave splitter, but I am not sure how it works. Good luck, I am glad that I could get you this far!

EDIT: Wave Spitter just breaks up the wave into several small waves. It doesn't separate the tracks. I don't know if anything out there does...sorry! :o

Thanks again for the help, I got it working good, and accomplished what I realistically expected. I got to thinking about splitting the songs up, and I realized to do that, you'd have to have a master copy of some sort and then have the appropriate audio tools. I've just been looking for a way to make good karaoke CD's, and the software I have does a decent job of removing the vocal tracks, but it would be so nice to be able to break down a song and remove the vocal tracks, rather than using complicated bandpass filters which remove a little too much of the music, and still leave a little too much vocals in.

Anyway, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated :)

transfering files

that it, the tr01, the number corrisponds to the track it will impor to, files must be momo 16 bit 144 sampling rate, named tr01.wav

some peole are saying other sampling rates work but the manual said otherwise, waitng to see if its true or not

split stereo file to two mono files for import

Not specifically a MR-8 question, but that's what I'm using. Is there a way to take a stereo file (say something created with Acid, Fruity Loops, or Csound) and break it into two mono files so I can import into my MR-8?

spariam said:
Not specifically a MR-8 question, but that's what I'm using. Is there a way to take a stereo file (say something created with Acid, Fruity Loops, or Csound) and break it into two mono files so I can import into my MR-8?

I *THINK* Audacity will allow you to export a stereo wave as either two separate mono tracks, or combine them into one mono track... I'm at work right now so I can't verify...
You can download Audacity for free at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

:)

BentRabbit said:
I *THINK* Audacity will allow you to export a stereo wave as either two separate mono tracks, or combine them into one mono track... I'm at work right now so I can't verify...
You can download Audacity for free at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

:)

Thanks - I already use Audacity, but I didn't think to check there...I'll take a look.

Trent Reznor said:

Back to the original question.

What you need is:

• a priest
  • a very large dildo
  • a midget prostitute
  • a circus freak
  • 3 ounces of crack cocaine
  • 5 ounces of crystal meth
  • 2 grams of hawaiian skunk
  • 1 fifth of everclear
  • one very drunk "friend" or "associate"

Once you have all of the necessary ingredients, mix them all in a dark room, lit only with strobe and black lights.
Grab 1 jar of pickles
Grab 1 cannister of peanuts.
Grab 2 containers of amyl nitrate.

Last edited:
I have no idea what would happen, were these strange elements to mix in a confined area, but it sure as phuck would be interesting.

cellardweller said:
I have no idea what would happen, were these strange elements to mix in a confined area, but it sure as phuck would be interesting.
You forgot the lube......................... ;)

I use.............

(in acoordance with CellarDwellars conveinent lettering system);)

B, G & I

and it seems to work fine for my needs. ( i tend to try & find a female counterpart to use for item # B )

but hey.... if not then give the drummer something to do with item #B ;))

"Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV)

as them new netspeakin' kids say with the latter part

But that adds some fun to the whole process, tell him/her its a metronome and bang away ;)

... one difference though, I usually use some nice Barley & Hop style refreshments to substitue for H as I am not a big "corn liquor" drinker.

but follow all the advice above and you should get the results you intended.

again..... YMMVIMHOSOJUSTGOAHEADANDROFLLIKEIAM

:eek:

Last edited:
treble hook said:
I use.............

(in acoordance with CellarDwellars conveinent lettering system);)

B, G & I

and it seems to work fine for my needs. ( i tend to try & find a female counterpart to use for item # B )

but hey.... if not then give the drummer something to do with item #B ;))

"Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV)

as them new netspeakin' kids say with the latter part

But that adds some fun to the whole process, tell him/her its a metronome and bang away ;)

... one difference though, I usually use some nice Barley & Hop style refreshments to substitue for H as I am not a big "corn liquor" drinker.

but follow all the advice above and you should get the results you intended.

again..... YMMVIMHOSOJUSTGOAHEADANDROFLLIKEIAM

:eek:

Me, I'm still waiting for the Cellardwellar FAQ....

Ahh crap... they remembered...
Unfortunately, I'm in too much pain, and too sober to begin at this time.
It's 4 am, and I just woke up, as opposed to just passed out :D

I'll have to take notes during my next (less than successful, I'm sure) recording session...

Docs got me on Cipro, some kind of eardrops, and I'm eyeballing the vicodin he gave me (I hate taking pills, but it's coming down to it...)

BTW- H was only added for it's high flashpoint and sterilizing qualities. We're dealing with midgets, dildos, circus freaks, and catholic priests here, for krise sakes!!!

"BTW- H was only added for it's high flashpoint and sterilizing qualities. We're dealing with midgets, dildos, circus freaks, and catholic priests here, for krise sakes!!!"

:eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back