MR-8 mkII issue with CF card

Whoahval

I've been using a Fostex Mr-8 mkII 8-track recorder as my primary means of recording music for almost 6 years now. I've always used SanDisk 8GB cards, each that say "30MB/s" on them and I've never had a problem. I recently decided to upgrade to a bigger card and bought a 16GB Kingston brand CompactFlash that says "ultimate 266X" on it. Ever since I've had this card, whenever I hit record on the machine, I get a constant pulsing buzzing sound that interferes with what I'm recording. When I try using one of my older cards, the buzzing isn't there, so I presume the issue is with this Kingston card. Might anybody know what about the card might be causing this interference and what I can do to get rid of it? It renders the card somewhat useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The MR8 MK II list of recommended media only shows cards up to 2Gb and only the Kingston ELITE PRO is confirmed at 2Gb. This may be the cause of your problem.

It is worth bearing in mind that the MR-8 was designed as a recording device to supply a PC with sound files. The idea being that after a recording gig you would dump the files for editing and reuse the card. So large file capacity was not seen to be needed. Later on they realised that users wanted a stand alone machine so Fostex eventually added a HDD and a CD burner.

Back