Is Fostex MR 8 compatible with MR8 mk II?

Rangerman

I have a MR8 my friend has a MR8 mkII.
Are they basically the same machine?
We want to exchange tracks that we have recorded on our CompactFlash cards, so that we can lay down tracks together.
We live 100 miles apart from one another.
And are writing/recording songs together.
If I record 4 tracks on my MR8, then send the card to him, will he be able to use that card in his MR8 mkII to add to the tracks that I've already recorded, then send back to me? (via mail)
Do both machines record and store the same way?
Compatibility, between the two?
Thanks for any advice and help with this.
Sincerely,
Rangerman

Why not transfer the files to computer over USB and then send them over the Internet? The MR8 produces standard mono 16 bit 44.1kHz .wav files.

Essentially they are the same machine. The compatibility of the cards, I'm not so sure about. But I agree with jamesperrett. Move them to a folder in your pc with wavmanager and email to your friend. And he can move them to his machine for reference and overdubbing. Since they are wav files they may be a tad large for sending all at once. My email can only send up to 25MB. You can send as many wav file tracks your email allows or convert to mp3 and your buddy can convert back to wav when he receives them. Use that that folder to house the tracks you send back and forth. I believe you can still download wavmanager for the older MR8 machines. It's a little bit of a process but not hateful. You can do a straight import without wavmanager but it will give you every thing you recorded, old takes, punch ins, etc...and not separated track by track. Keeping your tracks in folders will allow you to free up space on your card for more recording and if something goes wrong with a track you will have the original to pull back up as opposed to having to record it again.

Last edited:
This is where services like Google Drive and Dropbox are perfect.

Pull the files down to your computer, zip them into one package, and put it on a Google Drive, giving your friend share rights. He downloads it, unzips and puts it on his drive. He now has your entire session.

Google gives you 15 Gigabytes of storage so you could probably put a hundred copies of your CF drive on there.

Back