MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

Well, I doubt that the new one w/ the HDD can run on batteries, hdd's can take a lot of juice, so ol' Red may not be dead yet.

junplugged said:
Well, I doubt that the new one w/ the HDD can run on batteries, hdd's can take a lot of juice, so ol' Red may not be dead yet.
That's a good point. The MR-8 can burn the batteries pretty quick anyway. I was averaging about 4 hours of recording on a set. When I got it, the guy who bought the MR-8 for me got it in Singapore. He wasn't specific enough about the power adaptor and got a 50hz, 220v adaptor. It took some time for me to get a US adaptor for it, and I was running on batteries for weeks.
Damn that brings back some bad memories. And talk about spending money for nothing... :mad:

drstawl said:
I tried a San Disk 512 card from my camera and it worked fine.
That's what I've been using from the start. It was the only one I could find. As long as you get the 1.20 upgrade, there shouldn't be any problems with most CF cards out now...

I haven't used a CF yet that hasn't given me a data error, either in the MR8 or in my digital camera. If I fill it up, I'll loose a piture, a video, or an audio segment. I've used maybe 4 CF's so far. I thought they were very stable, I guess not.

Wow, I've never had that problem. I filled up three cards last week (128/256/512)transferring files/photos/mp3/etc. from one computer to another for backup and did not loose a single file/photo/MP3.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

well, I was intending to not fill the card up again, but I forgot, was out and filled it up with digital pics and realized it was full. So I expected to have losses again, but I was lucky this time and didn't have a problem.

I don't know, maybe the hardware can mess up writing to the card? I guess a data error can come from anywhere.

I did have a digital glitch on a HDD recently and an MD in the past.

junplugged said:
I haven't used a CF yet that hasn't given me a data error, either in the MR8 or in my digital camera. If I fill it up, I'll loose a piture, a video, or an audio segment. I've used maybe 4 CF's so far. I thought they were very stable, I guess not.

Well, you know what they say; Garbage in, data error out! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist, Steve

hey, now that I have more gear that uses cf's I'm looking again!!! Never thought I'd be....

so now I see 2gigs for about $100, and 1gig for around $60 or $70.

Not finding specs on a lot of them stating if they are type I, don't know what's up w/ dat.

junplugged said:
hey, now that I have more gear that uses cf's I'm looking again!!! Never thought I'd be....

so now I see 2gigs for about $100, and 1gig for around $60 or $70.

Not finding specs on a lot of them stating if they are type I, don't know what's up w/ dat.
Hmmm. I know that with the upgrade it doesn't matter which CF card you use with the MR-8 any longer. I may have to get a new 2GB for my MR-8 before I go home and start messing with it again....

2GB Flash Card

Got me a 2GB CF for 90 +tax After Rebate (AR) at office Depot on Black Friday and it work fine with my Fostex MR-8. :D

b :cool:

holy cow, i'm thinking of upgrading again, because of the portablility, the batteries, makes it great for field use, etc. just wish it had even plug-in power....

I just bought the Transcend 1GB 80X card and everyone I've talked to says it's supported. It's still in the mail but I will post the results. You all should go to www.newegg.com. GREAT deals on their CF cards right now. I only paid $50 for 1 Gig of memory .... hope it works out.

I have a Kingston Elite Pro 512MB 50X, about $50 after rebate from Buy.com. Someone on the Fostex site said the Lexar Pro 1GB 80X works fine.

nice, i'll be looking again soon for more cf, i just got sd for my mp3 256mb for $17

too many damn formats...

Transcend 1GB 45X CF card (I know I posted 80X before) works like a dream ... $40 on newegg.com :p

I agree, WAY too many damn formats!

Back