Moving up from a DMP3

taylorguitarman

I'm looking at moving up from my DMP3 and I'm looking for some suggestions. I'm thinking a lateral move would be to a MAudio Octane but I think I'd rather buy something significantly better. So I'm pondering on a Sytek MPX-4Aii (with 2 burr brown channels) or recently an Amex 9098 DMA. I hear a lot of good reviews of the Sytek and it's 4 channels for under a grand. However, I've been listening to a few sound samples with the Amex and they sound really nice. I do mostly solo acoustic stuff so I don't need a lot of channels. For around $1500 or less and at least 2 channels, what else should I look at?

Grace, Davisound, Earthworks.

If you're doing mainly acoustic stuff I'd look into pres designed as "straight wire with gain."

You should perhaps consider a Phoenix DRS-1 (~$1100) and an RNP ($475ish)... or a John Hardy M1 and an RNP .... or a Great River 1NV and an RNP ... or a Sebatron VMP 2000 and an RNP (4 channels) or an A Designs MP2 and an RNP for a bit more than your budget

Although I have no experience with this setup An Old School Audio Lunchbox and two OSA (think API) pres would be right around $1500. Atlas Pro Audio has special reduced pricing on them lately.

I would consider the Sebatron VMP 4000 (for about another $100, you could get the 4-channel version).

Again, no experience, but Chandler TG2 is what I have my eye on lately. I think its about $100-200 above your limit.

The new Joe Meek and Toft line share the same Burr Brown pre.

These will be the new "bang for the buck" pre's, up there with the Sytek,
Grace, and Rane MS1B IMHO. The addition of the opto-compressor and EQ sections should give them the edge in value overall, along with a starting street price of around $200.

Chris

P.S. Planning to get the Joe Meek 3Q shortly BTW.

chessparov said:
The new Joe Meek and Toft line share the same Burr Brown pre.

. . . which is the INA217. Not the INA-163, which is the better chip employed by the Grace Design, MS1B, DMP3, etc.

Make sure to get your chips straight. :D

What about DBX? I don't see them mentioned too often around here. Don't they get no respect?

I ask this cuz I'm looking around for a used good dual channel mic pre with compression and the DBX 576 is giving me a stiffy.

Goodbye Mr. Chips (me) then.

Wait a minute!...

Just remembered that the P1 also has the INA217 chip in it.

If I was recording others for serious projects, would VERY seriously consider the Safe Sound also BTW. Certainly should be on anyone's shortlist to try IMHO.

Chris

P.S. If you take a DBX 760X and have it modded by Jim Williams at
www.audioupgrades.com it's reputed to be a fine dual mic pre then.

Last edited:
I like that P1. Not necessarily for the mic pre, which happens to be quite good, but the compression and limiting ar just plain outstanding.

EddieRay said:
What about DBX? I don't see them mentioned too often around here. Don't they get no respect?

I ask this cuz I'm looking around for a used good dual channel mic pre with compression and the DBX 576 is giving me a stiffy.
Most people I've heard of don't like the DBX silver stuff. I've never used it myself, but, again, I haven't heard anything positive about it.

Anyone have any links to Sytek sound samples? Or willing to make a couple? I'm leaning towards that option but I'll have to look into the John Hardy pres. It seems there are quite a few good choices and I'm guessing I'd be happy with any of them.
Would the sytek be a significant step up from the DMP3?

chessrock said:
I like that P1. Not necessarily for the mic pre, which happens to be quite good, but the compression and limiting ar just plain outstanding.

Yup. It's the easiest box to use ever, even a newbie can dial in sweet compression with little effort...and once the limiter's setup right no more digital clipping.

My main 2 channels are the P1's with dbx 242 eq's inserted. Yummy and easy. :D

War

I couldn't agree more with your assesment.

It takes most of the brain work out of tracking. Don't have to worry about slamming it too much or not enough. Don't have to worry about digital clipping. When I had one on loan, I tried to make it clip, but it wouldn't. The limiter's "ceiling" coincided perfectly with Digital 0 on both of my sound cards (Delta 1010 and Lynx I), and I didn't even have to set it up that way.

Don't have to worry too much about the settings, because there's really none that sound bad. Tracking for dummies. :D

Back