Moving -- Any suggestions?

Dracon

Hey Folks,

I'm on my way back to the U.S. after a two years in Iraq (Ok 23 consecutive months) and I've been out of the loop for a bit.

I still see that new threads about the MXL, Marshal and other condensors are pretty much un-changed. Anyway, I am also moving from Tacoma to Fayetteville, NC in about a month.

Any suggestions or nightmare stories anyone wants to share about shipping your equipment? Granted, I only have one Sennheiser, One MXL V67G, two mixers. I did buy a case for my mics (with foam) and I do have a case for my small yamaha mixer.

Anything I should know when moving?

Thanks! :cool:

Double box everything. Wrap each item in generous amounts of bubble wrap, pack tightly in the first box with packing peanuts, pack that box in a second larger box with packing peanuts. once you seal up the second box make sure that nothing is moving around inside.

Pack the small more fragile items seperately from the heavier item like the mixer.

Since you have a case for your mics you might be able to pack it in the same container with the mixers, assuming they are all tightly packed and don't move around. Unless those cases are designed for the road, I would still pack them in a box or wooden crate.

SonicAlbert said:
Double box everything. Wrap each item in generous amounts of bubble wrap, pack tightly in the first box with packing peanuts, pack that box in a second larger box with packing peanuts. once you seal up the second box make sure that nothing is moving around inside.

Pack the small more fragile items seperately from the heavier item like the mixer.

Since you have a case for your mics you might be able to pack it in the same container with the mixers, assuming they are all tightly packed and don't move around. Unless those cases are designed for the road, I would still pack them in a box or wooden crate.

Hey SonicAlbert,

Thanks for the tip (Better than the last tip I got).
I did buy a case with foam for my mics and then bought one similar for my yamaha mixer. However, I am sorry to say they are not road worthy. I do have two weather tight tough boxes (got them for free when an army unit was just going to throw them away) in which I plan to put my two mackie monitors, the PMI pre-amp I bought (and used once before I left), some cables and my used analog 16 channel Mackie mixer.

I will certainly buy peanuts and use them but I will perhaps buy another case for my Mackie Mixer and perhaps find the boxes the Monitors came in and pack them back in that.

I will make sure there is no shifting - thanks!

Dracon--

First things first, on behalf of everyone, many thanks for serving! And most importantly, welcome home! :D

As for the moving tips........I would carry anything like that myself. If that's not an option, SonicAlbert's given you solid advice.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
Dracon--

First things first, on behalf of everyone, many thanks for serving! And most importantly, welcome home! :D

As for the moving tips........I would carry anything like that myself. If that's not an option, SonicAlbert's given you solid advice.

cheers,
wade

Hey Wade,
I would love to carry it with me but unfortunately I won't be able. I'm moving from one coast to the other and I'm not driving. Lugging all the equipment with me would cost me a small fortune and it probably wouldn't be much safer than on a truck (perhaps worse).

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments. I did serve but not during this 'conflict' now I'm just a lowly contractor. Although, the insurgents don't really distinguish between the two. Anyway, I didn't have it as rough as the troops here on the ground had it and still have it.

Sure, it wasn't a picnic in the park (although depends where you are in Iraq it may be) and I've had my close calls (too close to really want to repeat any of them) but all in all I've been relatively safe. Stray bullets, firefights, mortars, rockets and IEDs aside I had a choice to go home if I wanted to and the troops here on the ground do not.

It is true we have a volunteer Armed Forces and therefore they volunteered by proxy but I had the choice to go home any time I wanted (granted I would have been out of a job) and they really don't.

So all that to say once again thank you for your comments but I really don't deserve the comments. I know I mentioned that I've been over here but it wasn't to get praise it was to try and figure out what actually is going on back home (recording wise) while at the same time letting people know I wasn't living in a hole but was actually in a totally different world (seriously).

If you guys really want to give your thanks to the troops there are several organizations out there that send care packages to the troops. Pick one and give stuff, money or time. I guarantee you the soldiers on the ground love getting those care packages back from the States. If there isn't an organization near you then get your school, church, band or local radio station to do something nice for the troops or let me know and I'll give you a list of organizations if you like.

i just moved from california to hawaii 2 weeks ago...

i tell you what.. moving gear was a big hassle, but more because i had never done it before.

i used a shipping company to ship a 2 cubic meter box bhy boat. it will arrive shortly, about 3 days or so. hopefully it will be in good shape.

i also shipped quite a bit of stuff parcel post. the items, 6 guitars and some other random gear in boxes, were all packed by the people at the shipping store. it cost about 10 dollars and was about 20 dollars per guitar for priority 3 day mail. i received the items exactly 3 days later in hawaii. the u.s. postal service was awesome and i recommend them 100 percent.

good luck with your move. if you ever have to do it again you will be a pro.

with moving as with many things "the first one is the worst one".

pelon916 said:
good luck with your move. if you ever have to do it again you will be a pro.

with moving as with many things "the first one is the worst one".

I've moved plenty of times throughout my life. In fact, in 2003 I moved from Florida to Washington State. Four years later I'm moving back to the East Coast so I know how to move (and pack) by experience.

However, I've never had sensitive equipment before and I would like to ensure it arrives operational.

Good luck with your shipment, I wish you the best.

yes good idea, have a shipping company pack it and ship it. if it is damaged in shipping and insurance won't cover it because of improper packing, they will be liable.

and of course, welcome home.

Follow Sonic Albert's advice and don't forget to INSURE IT! Take photos for proof, as you pack it if possible. Good luck. Not to discourage you, but both times I shipped gear the packages were all but destroyed, so INSURE IT!

TragikRemix said:
yes good idea, have a shipping company pack it and ship it. if it is damaged in shipping and insurance won't cover it because of improper packing, they will be liable.

and of course, welcome home.

Thanks for the welcome (just landed 2 hours ago in the U.S. from Kuwait).
I will certainly get insurance its what is therefore and I will get replacement cost insurance versus cost of the equipment insurance.

Although, I do not know about any packing companies. I've moved using moving companies and trying to get the stuff replaced (when they damage it but it is still operational) or fixed is rather painful. I may just put it in one my toughboxes (made by Haridg), making sure that it is secured properly, and mail it via FedEx or USPS (insured).

Thanks
D

Back