MOTU vs. Digi 001 (Mac vs. PC) and advice on other home equipment

And while I was ranting...

sjoko2's example illustrates my points.

That entry-level recording system sjoko2 described has exactly one component that is PC-specific:

The PC itself.

Now granted, a friend of mine who also has a US-428 (and both Macs and PCs) tells me that Cubasis VST for the Mac is still vaporware, but TASCAM will ship him a copy as soon as it's done.

You could substitute an iMac for the Dell and have roughly the same capabilities at almost the same price. Yes, you'd have to add RAM, and yes, you'd have a smaller display, and yes, it would be a slower processor (even allowing the G3 a magical "Pentium equivalence factor"), and yes, it would lack expandability, and yes, you'd have to pay a little more.

So in this system, the PC wins on price, right? No question.

But it's only the computer itself that differs. Everything else is the same. As you spend more on the studio, the cost of the computer becomes a smaller and smaller part of the total price.

If I had to start from scratch Id take a dual processor pc running windowz 2000 and run an rme soundcard with nuendo. The digi 001 as I laid out (with help from digidesigns marketing) is a HOME system. nuendo is a PRO system.Rme soundcards use dsp processing to eliminate latency, and they sound good to boot. The steinberg nuendo card is by rme.

Also, there are lots of reasonably priced samplers floating around. I just got an emu esi 2000, and Its pretty rockin'. Id like to pick up a used yamaha anx1 keyboard, its an anolog emulation deal, but theyre not that expensive and sound good. The xp 30 sure is nice, and you'll like it, but sometimes you might want more analog type sounds or to use certain samples that roland doesnt provide.

Back