If I defect from Mac to PC I'll need help.

With all due respect, Doc.....you should refrain from giving ANY computer suggestions from a point of "knowledge", since you've had nothing but bad experiences, that from the general consensus here, were primarily of your own doing.

You seem to like to get deep into computer system reconfigurations, logs and registry settings even with a computer out of the box....but you also seem to have NO clue about what you are doing...and I don't mean that as a personal dig, just a perceived fact based on your countless "Oops, what did I do now?" threads of the last few months.

Heck, I remember doing that same kind of stuff back in 1993-94, when DOS and Win 3.1 was still fresh, and back then there was still a lot of "unknown territory" when configuring a computer for audio....but these days, it's about 10 times less complicated than you've made it out to be....so I do think you're point of view is pretty screwed...I mean skewed. ;)

Yeah, fuck you as well.

Oh... no offence, like... honest! (Pull the other one).

but you also seem to have NO clue about what you are doing.

Yet... I have managed to get most of it working efficiently by my own efforts... and I have no clue about what I'm doing. Funny, that? :)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's getting good, isn't it. Really interesting. Did you come here to at least make an effort to help the OP or did you come here for some Roman-style spectator sport? Well, I'm sorry to disappoint. I have other things to do. Oh, no offence like... :D

I was going to provide input but now I'm here just to laugh at your comments and at the regular members here bashing them.

Ooh... look, there's another one! Isn't it lovely how they pop out the woodwork when you rattle the nuts. That's just what I love about these 'gear forums'. :D

I was going to provide input but now I'm here just to laugh at your comments and at the regular members here bashing them.

If my advice is bad, there's nothing stopping you from giving the OP the benefit of yours. It will probably be much better than mine, as I know next to nothing. I just thought I'd give it a shot. Honestly, I won't be offended.

Really, it's nuthin' serious. It's just how we bond in here. :D

Well, he could certainly get a more powerful PC than MAC with that kind of money. That power could last longer if he decides to continue upgrading in software. I just never really understand upgrades anymore. I'm satisfied with my not-so-powerful PPC MAC. It does everything I need.

Really, it's not hard to use Windows. It's less straight-forward than Mac but it's still pretty simple once OP figures it out. The learning curve is probably less than that of learning a new DAW, really. I think the only useful file that OP will have to learn is a .dll file. That shouldn't be too hard...

I don't get all this 'PCs off the shelf are bloated', etc talk. My latest computer, $389 off the shelf with 6G RAM, 500G harddrive. I disabled all the crap stuff (mostly shortcuts to buying full featured bloatware) - a few minutes work. It's my 'everything' computer, so I've got Firefox, Chrome as well as IE which I never used except to get the others. MS Office Home, a couple of photo and video software packages, and I run Reaper. All my plug-ins are free ones - the ones that come with Reaper, and others I have found online.
As long as I make sure I back up all my files (I did learn that last time!), it's cheaper for me to buy a new one of these every 5 years than a custom-built PC or MAC that lasts 10 years.
Could I get something faster, sure, but do I need it? WHen I render projects in Reaper, one with 20 or more tacks with a lot of plug ins might be a little slow (1.7X to 2X), but projects with few plugins zip through much faster. HD video processing is a little slow, but I'm not doing this for a living.

I disabled all the crap stuff (mostly shortcuts to buying full featured bloatware) - a few minutes work.

This is my main gripe with M$ platforms nowadays.
You're right - just a few minutes work, but so is changing a tyre. It's shocking how many people can't do that.

I keep an eye on my Mum's computer because, well, she's my Mum.
I tell her to go ahead if Adaware ever needs to update. It's 'safe'.

Next thing I get a call because her computer is acting strange. Wonder why?
Ad-aware has taken the liberty of installing every toolbar and search assistant under the sun.
Now, ok, they weren't backward about it. "Would you also like to install loads of unnecessary shit?",
but why should people need to be educated and on their guard?

The pure simplicity of Apple's platform and the fact that you can be a total novice and still get by really appeals to me.

I remember my Da assuming that he could copy or back up a program by dragging the icon somewhere.(early windows)
I had to explain to him that it was just a shortcut to the real workings of the program and backing up an installed program isn't really a user-friendly operation on windows. He'd be better backing up the installer.

Guess how you do it on mac? Click and drag the app. Done.

That's my gripe. /rant.

Thank you Dr.V for your extensive reply #18.

I used to run Cubase 4 and 5 on a G3 and it wasn't too bad but I think if I stayed with Mac I'd either stick to Logic or maybe DP. If I went to PC then probably Cubase but I may try the demo anyway.

I'm afraid £1200 would not get me enough clout for my Mac needs although it would go quite some way towards a hefty enough PC.

(Pull the other one)

... I have managed to get most of it working efficiently by my own efforts...

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

I think you've been pulling your own for quite some time now....."efficiently"....!!! :p

Why not go back and look at the number of "Oh shit, what have I done now?!" threads you've posted, and no matter how many times knowledgeable people here have tried to give you legit computer advice, you ended up ignoring most of it, going back and mucking things up even more with your computers, only to come back and post yet another "Oh shit, what have I done now?!" thread.

You seem to be one of those types who will screw with something you have NO clue about trying to "improve it"....until you break it....then you'll blame the thing you broke!!! :D

Consider a name change from "Dr. Varney" to "Dr. Destructo".
God help the Mac users here on the forums if you switch over to a Mac. :laughings:

I just never really understand upgrades anymore. I'm satisfied with my not-so-powerful PPC MAC. It does everything I need.

It all depends on what demands your software makes. I was fine for a long time with my 2.0GHz Quad core Xeon (6 years plus) But now it just doesn't cope with what I need it to do. Namely run lots of processor and Ram hungry instruments.
I have been seriously considering getting a decent PC just to host some programs but controlled via ethernet cable from my Mac using Vienna Ensemble Pro which I have. I did this using my laptop Macbookpro but apparently Vienna is happier with PC slaves and anyway I would need the slave to have 32G ram and a large and fast HD. The laptop slave thing wasn't stable enough for me. Ideally I'd like one huge computer so I don't need slaves and that's why I'm waiting for a new MacPro but am considering a monster PC too.

Fair enough, Bip Bop. Thanks... and sorry that it all went a 'bit funny' back there.

You're right, of course. I think you will get more computer for your money if you go with the PC. I'm not completely biased. Well - more grunt, more of everything, really... Also, I happen to notice that Macs tend to keep their value up to a point, if they are still in working order - and that seems to be quite often the case, even with older Macs. I'll stop here but I think that shows us something about their build quality and attention to detail. That's all I'll say on that matter (especially since the weather's getting warmer...) ;)

Yes, £1200 I suppose would get you a hefty PC and if it's built carefully by someone whom you can trust - and you're willing to do a little house keeping and keep it off the 'net, it may be just the job - for maybe the next five years, with a bit of luck. Just don't expect quite the same level of aftercare as you may have had with the Mac (if you needed it at all).

Well, whatever you decide, I hope you get something that delights you and keeps you in the creative mood!

All the best

Dr. Destructo

The artist formerly known as Miroslav said:
Why not go back and look at the number of "Oh shit, what have I done now?!" threads you've posted, and no matter how many times knowledgeable people here have tried to give you legit computer advice, you ended up ignoring most of it, going back and mucking things up even more with your computers, only to come back and post yet another "Oh shit, what have I done now?!" thread.

I can take your flaming insults - but this ^... Some accuracy wouldn't go amiss. I would not count anything I have done as ignoring anyone's advice and mucking things up even more. Especially not the efforts I've made to correct the problems. For, if that were the case, how is it that I managed to get this computer working for me? It wasn't with your help, so may I respectfully ask that you put a sock in it? If anyone is mucking up anything, it's you, on an innocent poster's thread.

Thank you.

Dr. Destructo

Back