MOTU HD192 or PROTOOLS HD system

lenMCHC

I've spent some time recently with an accell system, and it really sounds nice and smooth.
I'd like to purchase/upgrade from my digi003 to a system w/ better converters...

I can't figure out if it's worth it to spend billions on the protools system
or make the switch to MOTU, and use some software that is compatible.

I'd like to get some killer sounds, at the least price point.. but obviously,
if i'm considering the full hd system, then price isn't that big of an issue.

thoughts?

low overhead, because it's in my backyard.. so electric/heating..
and new/replacement equipment...

I book between 2 and 4k per month.

sounds like a false dichotomy. Why just MOTU? Or is it a euphemism for DP?

Motu makes good stuff but is really dropping the ball on tech support lately.

either will do you okay. If you have the cash for Pro tools HD it wouldn't be too bad. You'll have Pro Tools which is nice for compatibility, and you can use it with other software like Logic... as far as converters though...PT HD systems don't use the same converters that they used to, and I don't personally like all that much the sound when compared even to my MOTU 896HD. With the MOTU 192 I'm sure it's even better than what I've got. If it were me, I'd probably spring for the MOTU just because being PT compatible isn't really important for my work, and when it needs to be, I can pop over real quick to a friend's studio and convert them all over to work on in Logic...

I'm definitely not discounting any of the other possible systems..
i was just putting it out there as a starting point..

i have definitely considered some of the RME stuff as well as appogee.

I just like the MOTU stuff, for the idea of having 2 192's and a 2408mk3 and
being able to keep my presonus 96 useful...

If you are looking for a large channel count, maybe you should have a look at the SSL Alpha series of converters. I am about to make the switch to them so in a week or two I will be able to give some feedback on them. With the SSL you can use their own Mixpander card as an interface, or go with an RME solution like the newer PCIe Madi interface, or the AES interface mentioned above, or even a standard 9652 interface. There are lots of options, and a large channel count with the SSL.

Back