Most Hi-Fi dynamic vocal microphone?

Dantheman06

Hi,

I am looking to buy the most Hi-Fi dynamic vocal microphone available. It would be used 20%'' in live situation with low stage volume, 30% in ''home studio'' and 50% in studio. This would be for a variety of signers and style. I am looking for something with the best possible HI-FI-transparent tone for vocal application. If bleeding or feedback is an issue then I will rely on other dynamic microphones. This specific mic I am looking for will be my special Hi-Fi dynamic mic and I do not care too much about other things. And yes I want a dynamic one not a condenser.

If you could suggest both an absolute best and also the best bang for the buck that would be great.

What should I look for?

Thank you for your help,

Daniel

Realistically, assuming by "hifi" (that I must say is a term I have never heard applied to a mic) you mean most accurate and highest quality, then all the dynamics won't fit the bill. As passive devices they all exhibit differences between what hits them and what is converted into electrical energy. So none of them are hi-fi. Some condensers might be able to have the tag, if we can agree a specification for what is and what isn't.

I suppose if it must be a dynamic, and not poor quality, and be at home on stage or in the studio, then perhaps a beta 58, or one of the similar models from Sennheiser, audix or Beyer? I don't really think hi-fi works as a term. Transparent maybe, but these mics aren't transparent, they all have a distinct character.

The three listed are great mics. If you're equating Hi-Fi with a brighter sound, you migh want to add the Heil Pr-40 to mentioned mics. Preamp and level issues aside, I've always thought that the SM7b gave me the sound I really wanted out of a U87. Weird, huh?

Pah
8^)

The three listed are great mics. If you're equating Hi-Fi with a brighter sound, you migh want to add the Heil Pr-40 to mentioned mics. Preamp and level issues aside, I've always thought that the SM7b gave me the sound I really wanted out of a U87. Weird, huh?

Pah
8^)

For me hi-fi would be as flat as possible with low distorsion. The thing in life I hate the most is a overly bright microphone, when it is harsh and bright for me it is good for garbage. I agree that the SM7b is a a fine mic, but not the best as handheld...

Guys, What would you think of the beyerdynamic M88 TG, M69 TG and M201? The M201 is not designed as hanheld but if if you add a pop-Wind shield? it is very flat with extended frequency response
If I need more sparkle I could EQ some I guess.

Beyer TGV 90r reviewed in April 16 SoS . A dual ribbon and so going to be of much better basic quality than most "cone" dynamics.
Expensive, £333 here, $400+ in US? and has lower sensitivity than the 58 at 0.9mV/Pa though the reviewer said he never had a gain (or feedback) problem.

Back in the day, THE hi fi mic was the AKG D202 which was a 2 way (might have been 3!) X over design and thus had a wider, flatter frequency response than any single D dynamic could muster.

You say it HAS to be a dymo' but there are now some very good capacitors designed for stage vocal use. Bottom line: If you want anywhere near a 20Hz to 20kHz response, "hi fi" if you will, a capacitor really is the only game in town.

Dave.

Last edited:
Well I have an M201, and it's a very useful mic - it's excellent on voice - hence why the BBC still use them on their radio OB's - if there is a panel game or something with interviews, you'll find them with coloured windshield on the desks. I even use mine as a drum overheads because the sound is pretty neutral. I happily swap between a typical condenser as an overhead and the 201. If somebody misunderstood me and put out a 201 instead of perhaps a 451 for an acoustic guitar, I suspect I'd not swap it unless I needed to after listening.

The 202 is very different. There is one in my mic box, and unless I really needed something with no proximity effect, it stays there. A very bland mic - I'd certainly not tag it with a hi-fi label (whatever that really is). It's just not flattering. Most dynamic have a strong "suitable for ......" tag. This doesn't men to me quality, or really performance - just suitablility.

I assume you've dismissed Beta58s and 57s? A few of my friends love Audix, but I've never spent money on them, so can't really comment.

The killer for me would be that what you need on stage, is preventing you from getting the best in the studio. We have here in the studio an EV320. I quite like it, but the other guys are not convinced.

One thing you do need to think about is handling noise. The M201, for instance is less happy hand held because it does suffer more from mechanical noise than a beta58. My comments on drum overheads should be balanced against what the drums are on. If the floor, or riser moves, the 201 hears it.

what is it about the 58 sound you don't like? I'm assuming you don't class it as hi-fi? I wonder why?

Hi Rob."Bland and uninteresting"? Just the comment you get about REALLY neutral (aka "hi fi) speakers and monitors!

There are of course two camps in the recording game. Those that want a "good sound" which is largely subjective and those (dying out now it seems!) that strive to capture exactly what they hear in the room/hall/jazz club.

"Hi fidelity" to me means just that, a faithful reproduction of the sound (P Walker's "Closest approach to the original sound") Hovis! "Nowt taken out, nowt added"!

I was not aware that anyone still HAD a D202! The most hi fi mic back in tape days was probably the (now) Coles 4038 ribbon? Not a mic for all seasons of course. The D202 was I thought an attempt to get something of the upper end of a ribbon but in the more rugged format of a dynamic?
Sur le continent of course capacitor mics were the rule for top fidelity but then they did not like rain either!

Maybe the OP does not agree with my definition of hi fi? I so he better shout and give us a clue as to WTF he means.

Dave.

I am looking for the most high-fi dynamic mic and I am aware that there are good condenser that would do the job. Dynamics are usually cheaper, rugged, could be used for many things etc. The reason I am asking is because I know I know the sm-58 and 57 welll and think that something more transparent with flatter and extended frequency response could be useful. I would like to record what I hear, with a flat (boring?) mic, with minimal coloration (I know there will be some coloration...) that I could EQ easily. I also expect that such a mic would sound good on most signers after easy EQ and could be used for other things as well.

I am looking for the most high-fi dynamic mic and I am aware that there are good condenser that would do the job. Dynamics are usually cheaper, rugged, could be used for many things etc. The reason I am asking is because I know I know the sm-58 and 57 welll and think that something more transparent with flatter and extended frequency response could be useful. I would like to record what I hear, with a flat (boring?) mic, with minimal coloration (I know there will be some coloration...) that I could EQ easily. I also expect that such a mic would sound good on most signers after easy EQ and could be used for other things as well.

Aha! maybe Rob will loan/sell you his 202?

Dave.

I just noticed that handheld is an issue, so scratch my previous references to the SM7b and PR-40. Have you tried some EV mics? Handheld RE and ND series? Handheld RE mics were ubiquitous in broadcasting for seemingly the same things you're interested in.

Paj
8^)

Back