Most Difficult Thing In The Mixing Clinic

jaynm26

...is giving feedback on some of these mixes certain sounds or effects may not sound good or be conventional to us pro's but what if that un conventional "off" sound is what the artist was going for and we go and correct it cause of our professional knowledge and know how. Heck! What if the guy is a really good engineer himself, you know has a little experience hisself on mixing. Who's to say the sound he created is "wrong" in a sense. Always find that the hardest thing to deal with when critiquing others mixes. Whats considered "wrong" and whats allowed as creativity. I see young engineers as artist in a lot of cases. I mean but where's the fine line? and who draws it? The Pro or the engineer with the mix? :confused:

I think you either like something or you don't (or it can grow on you, I guess!) - I just tell people what I do and don't like about their song and mix. Often, this is because of technical reasons that can be overcome to get to a sound that's more usually liked by people.

You're not fixing anyone's mix. It's all about opinion, and whether or not that opinion is considered and/or implemented. I give opinions, and it's up to the other guy to decide what to do with it. He can use it, or ignore it. Makes no difference to me. I get opinions on my own stuff, and if it's something I can agree with and think it will help, I'll do it. If I don't agree with it, I don't use it. You give opinions based on what you think you want to hear or what you think the mix needs. There are common tendencies, but no one-size-fits-all. It's up to the ones seeking opinions to decide whether or not to heed the opinions received. No more, no less.

The right people don't post unless they are after some feedback.
I read all feedback &. if I trust the person making them, I try many suggestions offered.
There are trends in music & within the clinic that may be contrary to the directions/genre/intentions of the poster but one has to suss out & at least consider what's said.
Death metal is one I cannot offer any assistance with because I dislike so many of the defining components of the genre. Similarly with rap/hip hop.
At the moment the point is almost moot as there are currently a lot of people who drop tracks in the count clicks and rarely return let alone respond.
As a fully fledged stumbling amateur I offer my groping hand to help lead others towards the white stick.

You're not fixing anyone's mix. It's all about opinion, and whether or not that opinion is considered and/or implemented. I give opinions, and it's up to the other guy to decide what to do with it. He can use it, or ignore it. Makes no difference to me. I get opinions on my own stuff, and if it's something I can agree with and think it will help, I'll do it. If I don't agree with it, I don't use it. You give opinions based on what you think you want to hear or what you think the mix needs. There are common tendencies, but no one-size-fits-all. It's up to the ones seeking opinions to decide whether or not to heed the opinions received. No more, no less.
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^

You give your opinion and they can do what they want.
I'm like Greg in that I'm kinda indifferent to outside opinions.
I know what i want and usually have it mixed the way I want in the first place.

I haven't put a tune up in the clinic for quite a while but when i did it was pretty rare that I'd change a mix because of someone's comments.
For example .... I like odd pannings ..... mostly no one here does so I'd get all sorts of comments wanting things panned to the center or if a git is on one side they want it on the other side.

I don't care and if I have it like that there's usually a reason.
When I did post tunes it was really to share them mostly ... not to get help mixing them.

So it's interesting to hear others' takes on the tune but it doesn't really impact my mixing choices.

Maybe there should be another MP3 Showcase sub-forum for showing off your work rather than that of the Mixing Clinic which is more of a help forum. A lot of people seem to post here with finished or very nearly finished products and don't need help or advice from others, just a bit of a back pat, congratulations or ego boost on a recording they're proud of. Another forum for this would be better suited to the more confident/experienced/professional artists among us.

Maybe there should be another MP3 Showcase sub-forum for showing off your work rather than that of the Mixing Clinic which is more of a help forum. A lot of people seem to post here with finished or very nearly finished products and don't need help or advice from others, just a bit of a back pat, congratulations or ego boost on a recording they're proud of. Another forum for this would be better suited to the more confident/experienced/professional artists among us.
maybe but it's also useful for the newbies to hear stuff that's pretty much right and well mixed.

Also it's useful for those learning to listen and make critiques to be able to comment.
If I post something it's not to get a pat on the back ...... I couldn't care less.
I just occassionally like to share what I'm doing.

And I wouldn't be rude to anyone making suggestions just like greg never is.
Just say thank you to all mixing comments ...... possibly talk about the mixing suggestions too ..... but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go actually change my mix.

Well for something like that I think the "marketing publicity " section would be the place.

Well for something like that I think the "marketing publicity " section would be the place.

Yeah I suppose, It just doesn't sound right. I guess a lot of people will see that as just Marketing advice, where to sell your stuff, etc. I have to admit, I've never read the last line of that forum until just now.

Marketing Your Music / Publicity
What's the best way to market your music? Talk about what you're doing, what works, and what doesn't! This is the place to Show Off!!

I'll get me coat :D

yeah, there's zero reason to have a different forum.
If you decide you don't think someone needs your help and/or don't want to comment ......... don't.
There ..... problem solved!

Yeah, I'd hate to post in the finished forum. I've never finished. It'd also just be show 'n' shine.
I like listening to works in progress even if it's almost perfect as some are. The perspective that comes from the discussion is often as illuminating as the work.

Apart from anything else, I like hearing really polished stuff in the clinic. It's often depressing that I'm not getting the same quality, but it serves as a good reminder of what is possible in the home recording environment. Plus, as I often comment in there, it's much better than listening to the same old crap on the radio.

It was only a suggestion folks, keep your knickers on :laughings: I agree. I'd never post in a finished forum, except to comment on something. I do think it would be interesting to see how many people would post in a 'finished' forum.

I'm way too amateur to ever be finished. I've barely started! I like going back and adding, removing, remixing.

Apart from anything else, I like hearing really polished stuff in the clinic. It's often depressing that I'm not getting the same quality, but it serves as a good reminder of what is possible in the home recording environment. Plus, as I often comment in there, it's much better than listening to the same old crap on the radio.

I couldn't agree more. There are some gems hidden away in this forum :D

I for one have learned a whole lot from listening to mixes on this forum and different opinions on it. I listen all the time but don't always have something to say about the mix. It is also very inspiring to listen to people who know so well what they're doing, like you guys. I guess what I'm trying to say is I fucking love this forum :D

Yeah listening and reading other people's comments is a great way to learn something or train yourself to hear what others hear. Of course, if someone is listening on laptop speakers it's almost a moot point, but still, it's good to take all opinions into account and compare them to your own findings.

I for one have learned a whole lot from listening to mixes on this forum and different opinions on it. I listen all the time but don't always have something to say about the mix. It is also very inspiring to listen to people who know so well what they're doing, like you guys. I guess what I'm trying to say is I fucking love this forum :D

Snap! There's some talented folk around these parts to learn an awful lot from. I've learned tons on here and continue to learn every day.

It's an awesome place of knowledge.

Back