Most basic live gear

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Gents,

I've not been recording much lately and there's a reason for that. I've started playing lead for a folk solo artist - its not my normal sort of music but its very good and she's a very good singer. I've been spending most of my free time learning her album - I'd forgotten how tricky it is learning lead riffs, licks and solos that were written by someone else!

I've not played live for years so we'll be doing plenty of small warm ups as both a duet and with the full band.

Been thinking about the gear for the small shows. I've just got my guitars, pedal board, amp and mic (for amp micing - not singing!!!). Anything else necessary for pubs, small clubs or small festival tents?

She'll be plugged into her accoustic amp and whatever she mics her vocals through.

Spandex and leather. The look is what's most important.

Real talk - bring backups of everything. Cables, second guitar, tubes (if you use a tube amp), maybe even a second amp, picks, etc. Bring a flashlight and some basic tools for basic quick repairs. Get a backpack and fill it with stuff. It might seem like overkill but you don't want to blow a gig because of something minor. Things do break.

Spandex and leather. The look is what's most important.

Real talk - bring backups of everything. Cables, second guitar, tubes (if you use a tube amp), maybe even a second amp, picks, etc. Bring a flashlight and some basic tools for basic quick repairs. Get a backpack and fill it with stuff. It might seem like overkill but you don't want to blow a gig because of something minor. Things do break.

Cheers, Greg. Handy advise. I was going to sack off my Peavey Bandit, but I'll keep it in reserve cos' a) its got a nice bright clean channel, b) its fucking loud, c) its indestructable. I've heard a few things about Blackstar gear being fine for home studios but not up to being chucked into the back of vans and driven to gigs.

By the time we get up and running I'll have my new guitar too, so I won't have to use my Ibanez or Washburn and I'd always have spare cables, pics, 9V batteries etc.

So, you think my basic rig is up to small shows then?

I was actually thinking of getting a body stocking printed up just like your avatar!

Cheers, Greg. Handy advise. I was going to sack off my Peavey Bandit, but I'll keep it in reserve cos' a) its got a nice bright clean channel, b) its fucking loud, c) its indestructable. I've heard a few things about Blackstar gear being fine for home studios but not up to being chucked into the back of vans and driven to gigs.
You know, that might be true. I've never really thought of Blackstar as not roadworthy, but now that I think about it, I never see them out at gigs even though they are affordable tube amps. Someone must be buying them, but not many people, around here anyway, are gigging with them. I don't see them out. Maybe they indeed aren't road-tough. I really don't know.

By the time we get up and running I'll have my new guitar too, so I won't have to use my Ibanez or Washburn and I'd always have spare cables, pics, 9V batteries etc.

So, you think my basic rig is up to small shows then?

Yeah, I think so. Just use common sense and good judgement. Like I said, bring a backup of everything you just gotta have. At the very least, cables, second guitar, and second amp. It's better to have too much stuff and not need it than need something you don't have. Don't rely on borrowing anything from another guitarist. Don't assume anything. If you're gonna be miking your own amp, bring a stand and cables too. One of those Audix Cab Grabbers is handy for live use and they don't gobble up space.

I've been fortunate to not have any blown amps for a long time....but I bring an extra head anyway. Besides just looking cool having all those amps backlined behind me, it's a backup. Tube amps crash sometimes. I keep the second amp on standby so I can switch from one to the other real quick. I bring a second guitar, ready to go on a stand behind me. It looks professional but it's there for an actual reason. You don't wanna restring a guitar during a gig. Just grab that second guitar.

When drumming, it's more of the same for me. I don't bring an entire extra kit, that would be insanity, but I bring an extra snare. I bring a single backup kick pedal. I keep a few old, but still usable heads laying around. Ironically, things don't break often with drums even though you're beating the shit out of them with sticks..

Yeah, I got a Blackstar 'cos it sounded good and was good value for money - I wasn't thinking about live use when I bought it as it was supposed to be purely a home recording amp.

I will keep the Bandit handy; it will form a handy cool looking amp stand for the blackstar if nothing else! I have a cab grabber and a mic stand - I'll just have to do some checks with my cab grabber to make sure that I can get my mic to the right place - its a pretty dark speaker in the blackstar so you need to get the mic pretty close to the centre.

Suppose drums are designed to have the shit beaten out of them! So are Peavey Bandits it would seem.

Yeah, backup for everything. Extra guitar, cables, mic, amp, etc. It sucks having to schlep extra - until you need it!

Back