More tracks for everyone to practice mixing and have fun with!

Wow so many mixes to listen to. I've been listening the them through headphones cause everyone is asleep at my house, but I like alot of them.

Eck - I like you second mix more, very wide stereo image. And you have put up my favorite bass sound so far, thanks for all the tips.

NL5 - Same thing i like your second mix even more, the toms came out great and added alot. Automate the guitar, not a bad idea. I'd take the time to do it if we were gonna use this on the album, but it was just an improv jam.

OH yeah, its not my band technically. But i am pretty much considered the 5th member, they write and produce and record and mix and all this shit over here with me.

mark - I think this mix could use some work but shows alot of potential, the guitar could use some work (bring it out of the center for starters). the drums sound thin and im sure you could make those bigger. but i like where its headed.

Jed - very intresting, i dont think i could duplicate this sound if i tried. Those cymbals ring forever. HA i like the delay on "lets see what happens here".

Overall all great stuff, alot of different angles to come at this song with. I can't believe how much I am learning from this process ( wish I woulda done it alot sooner). I think in the future I'll have to upload a full song and see how you guys come out with it.

So id just like to say thanks to everyone for trying it out, VERY COOL! :cool:

Here is my try

Did it in 2h so lot to improve but it would be nice to have some comments.
I have basicly just mixed metal so this was really fun to do!
Btw interesting band :)

Nick, I'll post a mix later today. The only tracks I thought were problematic were the the kick which was pretty anemic and the bass that has the "tizz" that you already pointed out. The rest of the drum tracks were pretty good.

It's one guitar track. Doing what you propose would cause phasing issues. I'm not sure what you mean by "get the stereo field". I used several different reverbs on all the tracks - different amounts of each one depending on the track. (edit - five reverbs total)

By stereo field I mean the guitar is in stereo and its pretty wide.
I'm not sure how you could manage that from stereo reverb, I'm very impressed if you did manage it from reverb alone.
Please can you tell me what reverb you used and what settings you used please?

I'm eager to find out.

Cheers,
Eck

You have a weird thing going on with the bass - I don't know how to describe it, but it "flares" big time on certain notes. Maybe it's on purpose, I don't know.

On a side note - I kept the bass kind of "round" a la Santana, since one of the bass riffs in this song is "borrowed" from a Santana song. ;)

Way badass song - is this your band Nick?

I had a sh*t load of low end on the bass before and some of the higher notes did stick out if I remember correctly.
For my 2nd and last attempt,
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10831
i used a lot less low end on the bass guitar and I think it sounds more commercial now rather than that big beefy low end heavy sound.

Thanks for listening,
Eck

Now, if I get some time I will automate the guitar, it gets a little to overdone - it's supposed to be over-the-top, but maybe not that over the top.....

I totally agree on the guitar. All I did (to save time) was compress with a high ratio and low threshold to tame the peaks and also I used a multi-band comp on the high mids with similar settings to the compressor.

Eck

I did this in about an hour, its kind of an experimental mix. I, too, was referencing RHCP . . . really just the drums, though.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10839

A few thoughts:
- This is a headphone mix. Sorry, the 1yr old is sleeeeeeping.
- Love the snare! The bottom mic captured some crispness that I dig.
- Bass and kick were tough, but I like how the bass sits really LOW . . . ha ha! The kick is buried, though.
- I ran the drums (always wanted to do this) as an fx send to Guitar Rig 2. Theres a drum preset I've wanted to try, and you can really feel it around 4:00. There's a weird tapping throughout the song (delays) that add a certain something that I couldn't let go of. It kind of adds a bit of the ambiance that the guitar brings later, that digital reverberation. Because of this, I didn't do any effects to the guitar except EQ and compression. But I do wish I got to doubling it . .. darn!
- With the drum effect, I got the cymbals to ring f-o-r-e-v-e-r. They have a great swell just after the attack.

The snare sounds harsh (maybe even some phasing going on with the snare, I'd try inverting the phase of certain tracks) and so do the cymbals although yeah the decay on the cymbals is crazy! Well done on that part!

I re-sampled the kick track because the snare in the kick track was phasing with the snare tracks.

Eck

Eck

Nick, I'll post a mix later today. The only tracks I thought were problematic were the the kick which was pretty anemic and the bass that has the "tizz" that you already pointed out. The rest of the drum tracks were pretty good.

Yeah there is a lot of distortion on the bass recording, and I exaggerated it by boosting certain frequencies although I feel the exaggeration of distortion was justified.

Eck

One from me

takes about 10min till its on

Dirk

The snare is clipping in this mix. It also sounds like you've boosted the snare around 1-3K and it just sounds too mid rangey, either that or you've added distortion to the snare.
The kick could do with being more present.

Eck

The delay on the guitar makes it sound very distant.
The snare seems to be the most prominent thing in this mix although I would say the focus should mainly be on the guitar as that is what is changing the most although the other instruments should definitely have their part in this mix.

I'd compress the snare and use less of the close mics and more of the OHs for the snare. Watch the phase relationship between the OHs and the snare tracks though.

Eck

By stereo field I mean the guitar is in stereo and its pretty wide.
I'm not sure how you could manage that from stereo reverb, I'm very impressed if you did manage it from reverb alone.
Please can you tell me what reverb you used and what settings you used please?

I'm eager to find out.

Cheers,
Eck

Just reverb. I'm curious as to what you think I did. It's pretty easy to hear the verbs, as the guitar track is soaked in all 5. It's the only track with all 5 on it. It's a very unnatural room that I created with the layered verbs - I was going for a pulsating "liquid" kind of room - kind of like an acid trip, where the room pulses and breathes and every sense is amplified.

The verbs I used are a plate, a med hall, a large hall, a tight slapback, and a loose ping ponging slapback.

I'll share a little verb trick I like to use, that I didn't use here. I like to take "backing" tracks - they can be back vox, whispers, insruments, or whatever. I'll send them to a plate on an aux but pre fader, then turn the fader all the way down. Makes a huge stereo ghosting effect without any presence to it at all. Real cool trick.

Reverb is the toughest thing to get a handle on IMHO. I am just starting to understand how to get it to do what I want........

edit - Oh, and listen to Eulogy by Tool - I got new monitors this week, and was listening to the beginning of that before mixing this track.

Just reverb. I'm curious as to what you think I did. It's pretty easy to hear the verbs, as the guitar track is soaked in all 5. It's the only track with all 5 on it. It's a very unnatural room that I created with the layered verbs - I was going for a pulsating "liquid" kind of room - kind of like an acid trip, where the room pulses and breathes and every sense is amplified.

The verbs I used are a plate, a med hall, a large hall, a tight slapback, and a loose ping ponging slapback.

I'll share a little verb trick I like to use, that I didn't use here. I like to take "backing" tracks - they can be back vox, whispers, insruments, or whatever. I'll send them to a plate on an aux but pre fader, then turn the fader all the way down. Makes a huge stereo ghosting effect without any presence to it at all. Real cool trick.

Reverb is the toughest thing to get a handle on IMHO. I am just starting to understand how to get it to do what I want........

edit - Oh, and listen to Eulogy by Tool - I got new monitors this week, and was listening to the beginning of that before mixing this track.

Ill need to try out that reverb trick.

Youve done really well to get the stereo spread on the guitars using only stereo reverbs. Well done!
What I did was duplicate the track and nudge 1 of them slightly and hard pan them, thats what I thought you had done at first.
Yeah it can cause phase cancellation when in mono, but it seems fine in stereo.

Eck

What I did was duplicate the track and nudge 1 of them slightly and hard pan them, thats what I thought you had done at first.
Yeah it can cause phase cancellation when in mono, but it seems fine in stereo.

Listen to the guitar in your V2 vs. my V2. It sounds like the guitar is coming from the sides, not the middle. Mine sounds like it's coming from the middle because it is coming from the middle. Also, there is phasing even in stereo in your guitar track. It has that kinda "hollow" sound that happens when you do what you did. That's basically how phasers work, they just slide the track forward and back so the woosh isn't constant.

The real trick is getting reverb to not sound like reverb............. :D

Listen to the guitar in your V2 vs. my V2. It sounds like the guitar is coming from the sides, not the middle. Mine sounds like it's coming from the middle because it is coming from the middle. Also, there is phasing even in stereo in your guitar track. It has that kinda "hollow" sound that happens when you do what you did. That's basically how phasers work, they just slide the track forward and back so the woosh isn't constant.

The real trick is getting reverb to not sound like reverb............. :D

Yeah I totally hear yours coming from the center and mine coming from the sides. I'm not bothered about any phaseing in this. I'm happy. :)

Yeah reverb tails and EQ have a lot to do with getting reverb to not sound so obvious from my experience anyway.

Eck

Eck, I just checked your second mix on my studio monitors. The kick in my opinion was too loud and the bass was woofy. Guitars are a matter of taste I suppose. I still prefere the delay I used to your verb. I'll stand by my mix.:D

Back