More From the Wayback Machine

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
This one from 1966. Back in the days of early Beatles, Beach Boys, Four Seasons. Vocal forward groups. This is a cover of a song from a semi-obscure Jersey based group called The Critters. Song is called Mr Dyingly Sad.

Attachments

• Mr Dyingly Sad 2.15.22.mp3
    5.4 MB
Nicely mixed - enjoyed the song. But I'm missing some reverb? Could just be a symptom of listening to too much shoegaze stuff recently :D I imagine some spring reverb emulation would work well considering the era.

Nicely mixed - enjoyed the song. But I'm missing some reverb? Could just be a symptom of listening to too much shoegaze stuff recently :D I imagine some spring reverb emulation would work well considering the era.
Fair. I’ve never really found a software reverb I liked (and I’ve tried tons), They all sound like an oil drum to me. So although I do use reverb, I also tend to dial it back a bit, lol. Thanks for the insight though. You could be right about it fitting the era better.

Fair. I’ve never really found a software reverb I liked (and I’ve tried tons), They all sound like an oil drum to me. So although I do use reverb, I also tend to dial it back a bit, lol. Thanks for the insight though. You could be right about it fitting the era better.
It's really fine as is, I'm just projecting my own prefs. :) yeah most software verbs are bad... The best spring verb emulation I've found is the one by black rooster audio (quite taxing on CPU however). Best general purpose is Valhalla vintage verb which is amazing value for money but doesn't do spring.

Last edited:
That's a nice song. I can imagine ending the last set for the night with this. Slowwwww dancin' ;)

That's a nice song. I can imagine ending the last set for the night with this. Slowwwww dancin' ;)
Hey ladies and gents, we're gonna slow it down a bit.... so grab yourself a partner :D

Btw, this song was literally a masterclass in major and minor 7ths for then 15 year old Dachay2tnr.

Very cool smooth vibe, fantastic vocals, tight harmonies, had to check out original song on youtube, The Critters eh? You definity do the song justice!!!

Cool song and a Great job on All the vocals. I liked the 2nd mix a little better than the first one. I thought he added reverb did push the main vocals back in the mix a little. I thought this was needed but maybe Slightly less. I think the Oooh Aaah tracks need lowering and pushed back further. If they have their own reverb , I'd try 0 pre delay to tame the attack a little. I enjoyed the song , performance and chord structure .. mark

Cool song and a Great job on All the vocals. I liked the 2nd mix a little better than the first one. I thought he added reverb did push the main vocals back in the mix a little. I thought this was needed but maybe Slightly less. I think the Oooh Aaah tracks need lowering and pushed back further. If they have their own reverb , I'd try 0 pre delay to tame the attack a little. I enjoyed the song , performance and chord structure .. mark
Thx for the feedback. I thought the bg vocals might be a little buried. Interesting that you thought otherwise.

Very nicely done.
I love this song, and you definitely made this your own.
The harmonies are great. Your vocals are fantastic.
I love this recording.
Rene
Thanks Rene. For clarification, I don't sing the lead vocal. I played the guitar parts and did some of the bg vocals.

Back