More Basic Questions

BlueFlame

Can you plug a MPC16 beat pad into a mixer on a computer based set-up. How exactly does this machine work do you use sounds on your sequencer or upload sounds......?

More Questions from the Newb....

A preamp isn't needed once you have a mixer right.

How do the headphones work/ what is the major funtion of them. Cant you run them into the recording booth so the singer can hear the music and sing along?

What is the difference in a PCI, USB, and Firewire interface...... what is the supposed best or what would be the best for a rap set-up.

BlueFlame said:
More Questions from the Newb....

How do the headphones work/ what is the major funtion of them. Cant you run them into the recording booth so the singer can hear the music and sing along?

Your mixer probably has pres that will work. Check it to see if it has em. Where the external preamps come into play would be for a different flavor or better quality. (clean/tube, whatever)
Like, you could have 16 tracks all run thru the mixer pre's...sounds decent...but they're probably noisier than a good quality pre. You add the noise from each track of pre, times it by 16 tracks, and you end up with a bigger noise floor. Takes up headroom.

I use my headphones for tracking mainly. I don't do any critical mixing on em. I'll run a mix to headphones for my vocalist to sing to and usually end up putting reverb on their vocal track cuz it seems like people sing better with some reverb. I don't record the reverb to it...just set it so they can hear it while they sing. Mix in the real reverb/delay whatever after.

my 2c ...............hope it helps

Asking what "the best <insert product here>" is a matter of preference and typically people will suggest the high priced items, regardless whether they use it or not themselves.

Depends on the mixer, some mixers have built in preamps, some don't. If your board doesn't have a preamp, then you need to get one/a few. If it does have built in preamps, then you can either, A) Be happy with them, or B) try others and not use the ones on the board.

Headphones are headphones are headphones, same concept as anything else that has a headphone jack. You plug headphones in and listen. You can be anywhere you want, as long as you've got the cable length (or wireless headphones /puke) You can also utilize a headphone amp that you send a signal to, that will increase the volume and split the signal so you can have multiple people with headphones listening to the same feed at the same time.

What is the difference in a PCI, USB, and Firewire interface.

PCI slots are accesible on desktop computers, PCI cards are mounted within the PC case and the ins and outs on a PCI soundcard are on the back of the card, or a breakout cable that is attached to the back of the card.

Firewire and USB are other types of connection interfaces, these are compatable with any PC/laptop with a firewire and/or USB connections. These units are basically a "stand alone" box with a firewire or USB cable running to the PC or laptop. As to which is the best, I would suggest reading up on all of them and figuring out what is going to suit your needs the best.

Can you plug a MPC16 beat pad into a mixer on a computer based set-up. How exactly does this machine work do you use sounds on your sequencer or upload sounds......?

Can you provide more info on this?

Ok the pad is a Akai MPC16 which has 16 pads and I was wondering how sounds are used through this. I was wondering if you use the sounds from the sequencers sound bank and hit the pads for creating a sample or do you have a special program for this. Sorry if this still isnt to clear.

Back