Monterey Jack -Final Mix-

Recording/mixing: You're on the right track.

Arrangement: Arpeggiators can be distracting when over used ... because they play a lot of busy notes which detracts from the groove. As you get into the latter part of the arrangement when they go away, the groove is 1000x more in the pocket. I'd suggest merely a greater judicious approach early in.

Nice work. I enjoyed it.

Sounds like the guitar was DI'd? It's just got that sharp gritty DI type sound, you could smooth off with EQ. Otherwise mix is very well behaved, nice job

@K-dub Thank You for the response and about Arpeggiators. This was the first time I've used one with a controller and it's like getting a new toy. Especially since I'm not much of a keys player. I've settled it down a little bit but kept the fast flurries I liked. I Really appreciate your input. @Bulls Hit , Yes the guitar was DI. It's not really Steller sounding with a mic but has a little electric sound with the pizeo and built in magnetic pickup in the neck . You should have heard it before extensive EQ work. Do think it's too bright ? Thank You for you response and suggestion. Here's a remix with some piano stuff adjusted and work on the kick/bass. Thanks .. mark

Hello , here's a fairly short acoustic Funk instrumental I'm finishing up. Washburn Monterey Studio guitar , vst drums , bass guitar and midi piano thru an arpeggiator were used. Any suggestions for improvement would be Great. Thank You .. mark

It's a good track - but Funk? Sounds to me like Yellowjackets lite Jazz.

@PorterhouseMusic , Thanks for the listen and the "like" appreciate it. @Papanate Thanks for listening and commenting. Yes I had acoustic jazz/funk listed as genre but failed to do it at Soundcloud. The top mix reflects my final mix. I'm going to get away from it for awhile before making any other changes. Thanks to everybody for your time and comments .. mark

some nice playing there!
yea, i get the issue with piezo sounds, i don't like using them,
but in this case, the sounds kind of makes sense,
the guitars float on top of the bubbling bass lines, if not a little bit too crystalline sounding, but clear as a bell.

my guess is, if it was miced, it wouldn't work as well,
it'd be 'too full' for the busy arrangement to work.

you'd never know, i guess, without micing the guitar, re mixing it, and see what happens.

i hear the funky syncopation in the arrangement,
it aint funk, but it gets funky. LOL

funk is a hard core pidgeonhole, i've been called out for using 'funk' as a descriptor before,
and actually, i think it's quite accurrate.
if it's funky at all, it should be natural to say 'funk'. but if it don't sound like "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine",
then it aint funk.
heheh

I like the separation of instruments. The remix seems better balanced overall. I listened to a lot of this type material in the 70's. Very professional sound.

Sounds good to me. A bit busy sometimes (arpeggiator?) but it’s good.
100% in agreement with the piezo comments, but despite that it sounds solid.

Sorry, but I kept waiting for vocals. Got a little monotonous to me otherwise. Well recorded and mixed though. I hear what everyone is talking about with the DI guitar. It's not at all bad, it's just to sparkly or something. Nice work.

Hello , here's a fairly short acoustic Funk instrumental I'm finishing up. Washburn Monterey Studio guitar , vst drums , bass guitar and midi piano thru an arpeggiator were used. Any suggestions for improvement would be Great. Here's my last mix after suggestions. Thank You .. mark

Nicely done. Clean, the guitar sound is fine. A LOT of music like this is done on guitars this way, very successful pieces. The balance is nice. I wouldn't have minded hearing some change ups in the guitar cord rhythm sound. Its a lot of the same thing.

Hey Mark,

Another awesome job man! Keep 'em coming! As some of the above comments say, it isn't exactly Funk... they did list some other genres, and when you mix them all together you could add a little Outlaw Country and that would describe it very well :) If I had more time, I'd be really interested in collab'ing -- you mentioned you don't do much keys, maybe someday I could help out with that :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

SR

As others have mentioned, great playing throughout, and the recording is very nice as well. It was an enjoyable listen.

My only nit is that it kind of got a little monotonous after a bit. I would have enjoyed a hummable melody or a more noticeable identifiable hook somewhere.

But overall, great job! Thanks for sharing.

Back