Monitors

jackjameson_

Hey..

i bought 2 adam a3x speakers but.. they cant deliver it.. 15 weeks delivery time.. so maybe im going to cancel it. Ive heard the focal alpha 50 and 65.. krk 5,6,8. Imo the focal alphas Top end are a bit hyped.. the vocal isnt rly free if u know what i mean. I can squeeze a 300 euro per speaker and i want to know whats best for that price.. too much gear out there x))

Ive heard the jbl lsr 308, yamaha hs7/8, genelec 8020 and the M030.

Im making ballads(piano vocal).. acoustic music (only guitar and vocal) and sometimes some reggae.

Im hoping someone can advice me please.

Go audition some speakers for yourself. The ones you list are all good - different people like the sound of different speakers.
Is your room acoustically treated? What size is it?

Whatever monitors you get used to and know intimately are the good ones ;)
If thousands of engineers around the world rely on those horrible little NS-10's, I'd say anything is fair game. Ha!

try out different ones, to find the one that suits you and your ears, it's very important. I would get equator E5 speakers, they are very neutral and accurate which is exactly what you need.

Ideally what you're looking for is something that doesn't hype up the lows or the highs. Many low end monitors compensate for being cheaply made by hyping the lows, highs, or both. It makes the music sound really cool and powerful, like cranking the bass in your car. But this is bad for mixing.

What you want in studio monitors is a flat EQ response and as close to exact replication of the music as possible. That way when you mix, you know that what you're mixing is how it actually sounds. If you mix on monitors with hyped up bass, you will be inclined to dial down the bass, and you'll end up with bass-light mixes.

So go to Guitar Center and test out monitors, but make sure that you understand you're not looking for speakers that give a pleasurable listening experience. You're looking for monitors which give you an accurate representation of the music, as an engineer.

My personal choice right now: Presonus Eris E8. 8" monitors give a full bass response which is lacking in 5" or smaller speakers (causing the opposite problem I stated above. If you mix on monitors which don't produce bass frequencies below 80hz or so, you'll tend to dial UP the bass, causing your mixes to be bass heavy). I love that the Eris monitors are active (self powered) and have three band EQ control. An EQ control on your monitors can be very helpful in a home studio which isn't properly acoustically treated, to make up for the lack of acoustic treatment. If you have a particularly dark sounding room, you can take some of the bass out of the monitors so that your monitors, again, provide an *accurate* representation of the music. If it's a very bright room, you can take some out of the highs.

I hope this helps.

My personal choice right now: Presonus Eris E8. 8" monitors give a full bass response which is lacking in 5" or smaller speakers (causing the opposite problem I stated above. If you mix on monitors which don't produce bass frequencies below 80hz or so, you'll tend to dial UP the bass, causing your mixes to be bass heavy).

Note that the JBL LSR305 5" speakers are rated down to 43Hz, but with rear bass ports, you need traps on the front wall (the wall behind them).

Back