• Somewhere inbetween those two.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • Don't have any.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I have really nice headphones.

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

guitarded2

OK I'll admit considering how long I have been fooling around with recording and stuff I should be ashamed of myself for this but I have don't have monitors I have some stereo speakers and its FAR past time I upgraded to something that can get frequencies below 200hz.:p

I want to know how long was it before you guys bought monitors? Hopefully I'm not the only fool here.

OK I'll admit considering how long I have been fooling around with recording and stuff I should be ashamed of myself for this but I have don't have monitors I have some stereo speakers and its FAR past time I upgraded to something that can get frequencies below 200hz.:p

I want to know how long was it before you guys bought monitors? Hopefully I'm not the only fool here.

Heh...I recorded for a couple of years using some old Sony bookshelf 6" 2-way speakers. But, I knew those speakers very, very well and knew how they translated and got some decent mixes off of them. However, when I did upgrade to monitors (Tannoy PBM 6.5), the mixes were night and day and mixdowns became much easier.:cool:

I went for about 3 years with a home stereo setup of a Pioneer amp and some Yamaha speakers. I got to know them and they worked ok but there's something to it when they say you can't mix what you can't hear.

On this go-round, I owned the monitors for a year before I bought a recording system. But that is only because I came across a couple of pairs of used large-format monitors at fire-sale prices and happened to have the pesos to spring for 'em.

Bob

Yeah, I went years with Klipsh 3-ways. Did ok with them but they were fairly decent on at least few levels to begin with, but there is a world of difference..

No more..:D

Wayne Smith

Yeah, I went years with Klipsh 3-ways. Did ok with them but they were fairly decent on at least few levels to begin with, but there is a world of difference..

No more..:D

Wayne Smith

world of difference? I'm just tired of mixing it and it sounds right only to put it in my car stereo and notice the lack of bass. I think I'm ready for monitors.

I bought monitors first and used them as Hi Fi speakers in every room of the house to get used to them way before I started buying studio gear.

the very first things i bought for my studio were a studio projects VTB1 mic preamp and a pair of m-audio SP5B's (at the same time). i already had a studio projects B1 mic.

So yes, they were the "first thing i bought". i got decent results from the monitors--certainly better than i had been getting out of my sennheiser hd580's. but in many cases they were perfectly indicative of cheap, small cone monitors.

since then i've upgraded to a pair of Event ASP8's. they're spectacular. night and day over the m-audios.

i would consider good monitoring (along with good acoustic treatment) as one of the very first things you save up and spend GOOD money on.

cheers,
wade

the very first things i bought for my studio were a studio projects VTB1 mic preamp and a pair of m-audio SP5B's (at the same time). i already had a studio projects B1 mic.

So yes, they were the "first thing i bought". i got decent results from the monitors--certainly better than i had been getting out of my sennheiser hd580's. but in many cases they were perfectly indicative of cheap, small cone monitors.

since then i've upgraded to a pair of Event ASP8's. they're spectacular. night and day over the m-audios.

i would consider good monitoring (along with good acoustic treatment) as one of the very first things you save up and spend GOOD money on.

cheers,
wade

thanks I think I'll take your advice. I always tried to spend money on the parts that actually do the recording rather than these things. I guess I'm just being cheap but thats pretty dumb considering the small fortune I've probably wasted on CD-Rs :D

any personal suggestions on some entry priced active monitors until I can save up some money?

I have to agree to the night and day comments about the difference between monitors and regular speakers. I had been using my home receiver and speakers to mix and when I bought my monitors it was amazing how much more you can hear. Another huge difference I noticed was that you can literally hear the exact placement of each instrument way better through monitors. Took me a long time to purchase a set of monitors but I can't imagine trying to mix without them now. As far as your request of some decent monitors entry level monitors I bought my KRK RP-5's for $200 for the pair. Keep in mind I'm not a professional so there might be a better brand but I bought these based an a ton of good reviews from many magazines and web sites. Good luck in your purchase of your first monitors. You'll fall in love with mixing all over again. :D

The same people who waited too long would've given almost anything to go back and do it the other way around.

IMO, you should take everything you want to spend on your entire rig and blow in on monitoring and room treatment. Sit in that room and listen as much as you can for months on end while saving up for everything else again. You'd be *SO* far ahead of the game...

There is nothing as important as your monitoring and the room they're in, period. Every single sonic decision you make from the first to the last is based on how well your monitors translate to the space and how well you listen to what they're telling you. Learning to listen is by far, your biggest asset. And it's really not possible to do with an inaccurate system and/or an inaccurate space. You will only ever hear as good as your monitors allow you to.

Just bought Adam A7

Ok, I have just bought into all the stuff on the adam a7 power monitors which if you you want to find bad reviews these days its easy for these they were almost impossible to find even then, minor quibbles. Ok, whats my quibble?
Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different. My system is very good quality and uses b&w 604s speakers (which are a bit bass heavy i find). However match my recordings done with the adam's up to any industry standard, you will find mine are silly, bass mud fever!!!
Now before anyone crits the recordings, yeah ok I am no mutt lang, however I do know simple balance( i am a semi pro conductor/musical director). And dont try to tell me about bass woofers, i have spent enough already for a home studio. Just wish i had bought something which were more realistic. Isnt there another way to help with what i've got though, so that the recordings i mix can be more realistic as i mix?

..Every time i mix on these and it sounds fairly balanced not bass heavy(with computer), quite light actually, I then try the recording out on my hi fi system and what I get is quite different. My system is very good quality and uses b&w 604s speakers (which are a bit bass heavy i find)..?
A very basic thing is missing in this. What happens when you take the commercial refs to your monitor/mix room?
Work it reversed. That should tell a lot about which is doing which. It's also a fairly common means of not only learning our systems and how it relates, but as the occasional refrence break to retune the ears after looking 'too closely at the trees' as happens to us all. :)

The same people who waited too long would've given almost anything to go back and do it the other way around.
Sooo true. I waited a long time before buying monitors. The thing is, if I'd bought them sooner than a few years ago I wouldn't have known what to listen for and I'd probably have made the wrong choice. So, at the end of the day I'm glad I didn't buy too soon but maybe I should have gone shopping a couple of years ago.

I bought monitors (NHTPro A10s) about the same time I bought my first interface. Added a matching sub later (NHTPro S-00). Added some trash monitors about 2 years later (Avantone passives with an Ashly SRA-120). I have lots of pretty good cans as well, but you really need the monitors. Now if I could only improve my room sufficiently.

First

I bought my moniters (Tascam VL-X5 Pair) first off because a local audio store had them B-stock and said they were regularly $500 so I wanted to get on that deal! Ive been having computer problems so I havent gotten a chance to use them =[ I have played a CD through them though, and the quality was...well....different from the Logic speakers that were there. I dont know if thats good or bad!

thats me... not only blurry mush mixes, but the ringing in the ears from long headphone sessions was really stupid...I got out lucky though!

I even try tracking thru the monitors every chance I get too.

someone mentioned Adam's,
I got a listen in just tonight at GC, empty sound room, and they were matched up against the new M-Audio 5's.. interesting. never mixed on them, but they had a lot more ride cymbals and more bass...and more sticker$$ :p

I'm looking at buying some KRK RP6's as my first set of monitors for a bedroom studio set up, would they be suitable for that?

Back