Monitors Shaking Floor!

Raydio

I have a pair of HR824s and a cheap long table from my local Target store (the picnic tables with a hard thick plastic top & foldable steel legs). The problem is that my floor shakes when even the smallest bass comes out of my monitors. I bought a pair of Auralex Maxxpad things and still... the vibration still goes through the table. I know getting another table or good stands would do justice but for now this table fills my needs. Any way I can use some existing Auralex foam or a cheap product to fix this problem? Thanks

A big part of the problem is your 824s weigh far more than the table does. As such, not only are they going to shake that table like a leaf, but that the table is going to resonate at much more bothersome frequencies because of it's lack of mass.

For less than what it would cost for brand-name isolation products, you can build some high-mass speaker stands that will not only eliminate the resonance problem, but will also make your positioning more stable (80lbs of weight on a 15lb table with 1" metal legs wuld frankly keep me up nights) and potentially help reduce bass response problems you may get from haiving the speakers sitting on the table surface.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but I am both dubious that you'll be able to effectively de-couple those 824s from that table without some kind of padding system designed by Rube Goldberg, and think that you'll still have potential monitoring and safety problems even if you did.

Just an opinion.

G.

Are there any other cheaper options? Maybe putting something under my table so it doesn't wake the guy downstairs? lol.

Raydio said:
Are there any other cheaper options? Maybe putting something under my table so it doesn't wake the guy downstairs? lol.
Define "cheaper". There have been a series of articles in the recent issues of Recording magazine that describe how to make some very effective monitor stands out of some plywood, some PVC pipe, a couple of flanges, and a bag of sand. A couple of other members of this forum were building these for themselves and I think, if I remember correctly, one said they did it for about thirty bucks US.

Search the forum for "monitor stand" or variations of those keywords to find the thread discussing this; I forget which forum I saw it in. Also check out Recording magazine and maybe it's website for the article(s) themself.

G.

i made my own monitor stands with some stuff from home depot... it was a little more expensive (probably around $50) but they work great. here is a thread i posted over at the studio tips forum: http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=1850&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

either way i really think you'll need something different than a lightweight table... i bet those things rattle like crazy. because theyre so light and have little mass, their resonant frequency is easily well in the range of those speakers...

Back