monitors/headphones/usb

brandon.w

I've been thinking about buying the tascam US-122...it's cheap and it's got two mic preamps, midi, line input and a headphone jack and jacks for monitors (I think)...my question is...when I"m NOT recording...will my normal computer audio play through this device? do I keep it on all the time?

basically I'm looking for a setup or device where all my audio can run through my monitors, I can plug headphones in and not have any sound come out the monitors, and have two preamps and midi and line level inputs available for when I feel like recording something...how's this all work?

thank you!

Sounds like a good budget solution. Make sure it actually has preamps, if that's what you're looking for. I don't think that thing has them. I think it's just XLR inputs, not an actual preamp. I could just be speaking out of my arse, though. Also, your "jacks for monitors" are probably not amplified, so keep that in mind. If you have active nearfield monitors, you're OK though.

Also, the beauty of it's being USB is you can disconnect it when you aren't using it. You could watch your movies or play your games with the computer's OEM soundcard. I don't think you'd want to add wear to your monitors playing games and watching DVDs.

I'm sure it does have preamps, and I know to get powered monitors...but still...my question is will this work like...an external soundcard? when not recording or in a recording program will it function as my soundcard and play all my normal computer sound through it? is it something I would leave on and plugged in all the time when using the computer?

Back