Monitoring with behringer 1222fx

Rich b

Hi there,

This is a very simple question but I just need some clarification.
I have a Behringer 1222fx mixing desk and I'd like to know the best way to set up two active monitors.

I'm recording into my soundcard via the main outputs but also want to hear the session through my active monitors.
There is only one HEadphone/ CTRL room output, one MON and one FX send.

What is the best way to set up the active monitors?

Should I just use the outputs on the soundcard?
or should I split the headphone output into two?

ANy help would be great!
Thanks

Since you'll have to turn off the monitor speakers (to avoid howl round) every time you have an open mic, my first choice would be to use the Mon Send facility which gives you a Mon Mute button. The headphones should still work because they're fed off the main outs.

FYI, I've used Aux sends to feed my monitors in the past to give me a similar facility.

When I read your question, I thought you'd just plug into the back of the mixer. When I looked at the diagram, I realized it's different than the old 1202 I had where you plugged the monitors in the rear of the mixer into clearly labelled jacks. On the 1222, it looks like you have to plug into the MON SEND ...

RYFM and tell us how it goes.

Tim

Having eventually found a signal diagram (WTF can't they put it all in the manual?!!) I see that you don't have many options.
The monitors must be fed from the XLR MONs and since you don't want the feed to the soundcard (which is?) to Jodrell up and down with the monitors the only option is the CD/TAPE out RCAs. These are unbalanced but shown directly from the opamp output and should therefore be at a sensibly low impedance and even quite a long cable should not hurt. (just checked the specc' 1k Ohm op Z and +22dBu drive available, should be fine.)

Dave.

Pretty sure the Behringer 1222fx mixing desk is not a 'desk', it's a plain-and-simple mixer. If you want to monitor your inputs on it AND tracks you have already recorded, you will need to send the output signal from your soundcard (you didn't tell us what it is) back to the mixer - be careful of feedback loops, not sure the Behr has the right circuitry for this.

Pretty sure the Behringer 1222fx mixing desk is not a 'desk', it's a plain-and-simple mixer. If you want to monitor your inputs on it AND tracks you have already recorded, you will need to send the output signal from your soundcard (you didn't tell us what it is) back to the mixer - be careful of feedback loops, not sure the Behr has the right circuitry for this.

+1. Another study of the signal paths tells me at least that there is no way to send a return back to the mixer for monitoring AND record a fresh track, you will also record the played back track, i.e. double it.

The simplest solution is the one I adopted several years ago. Buy another, small cheap arse mixer! I found a Wharfedale EZ-m. This has 2 mic/line ins and no less than 5 stereo line ins, all for 30quid! It lacks phantom power but I did not need the mic inputs. This takes the output of 2 M-A 2496 cards from 2 desktop PCs and 4 tracks back from my Teac A3440 OR tape recorder. It ultimately feeds my Tannoy 5a monitors. Inputs to the 2496's are taken care of by an A&H ZED10 (but I used a Behringer Xenyx 802 for quite some time, really quite good, still works fine doing other duties).

Dave.

Real solution would be to get an audio interface (guessing you are using an OEM soundcard in yoru computer right now) with multiple monitor outputs, or if only one monitor output get a speaker selector switchbox.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I've been using the MON and SEND outputs which seem to work. Just wanted to clarify.
The soundcard is a creative E-Mu tracker pro by the way.

Thanks again.

Back