Modeling Amps/Are Class A's really worth it?

To whoever the complete spineless pussy is who can't sign their neg rep. The point was I've been using my 002r for 4 years and if I hadn't figured it out by this point I probably shouldn't be recording but apparently that wasn't obvious to your dumbass. Fucking retard.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove but you're not doing a real good job of it.
As far as the specs on the 003 go, they are a bit confusing but if you just take a look at the machine you'll see there are no gain knobs for inputs 5-8. No way to adjust any levels. It almost looks like the just took the di specs and copied them to the line specs which doesn't make a ton of sense.

I'm not trying to prove anything. And there is lots of equipment out there that lets you adjust hardware gain via software. And seemingly yes, digi misprinted the specs on their website, sorry if I actually thought that was correct.:rolleyes:

As far as the rest, it's probably just the language you used. To say that "inputs 5-8 are not preamped" seems unclear to me, since they most likely have almost exactly the same input circuits. If it lets you get a better sound, or more headroom or something, great. If it doesn't, just doing it "because" doesn't make lots of sense.

Last edited:
It's all about experience. I use Neve and Api all day long, with a great room, great converters, great mics, great monitors... if you set me in front of a great chain blindfolded, I could tell you that something is crap. It's a matter of "training"

My comment was to make people try harder. If you sit an average "audio" person in front of a great mix with one 002 pre they would say it sounds great. Massenberg would pick out something as weird, then track it down and fix it. I do this all day, you eventually can tell if something is wrong.

It's okay that nobody could pick out the V72...what AD, mic, comp, eq, etc were you using? Your chain is only as good as the weakest link.

Good point about experince. If there was a night and day difference anyone could easily tell the difference. Someone with a great deal of experience would/should be able to hear subtle differences, not "night and day" differences.

I think many people will start with more than they need and i think it's awesome for them when they get to the point where they really can use their gear to it's full potential.
it's not like buying a $200k ssl board or something while you loggin on here and asking what phantom power is.

Great point,
I have posted this before, but a couple years ago I had down graded my system from and MCI 416 (w/a John Hardy mod on ch 23) to the Behri Digitals mixer mainly because of the maintenance required to keep that old board in tip-top shape. I could not justify the cost of the maintenance with the amount of work I was doing to keep it, so I made the switch. After getting the Behri, I noticed that my new material was harder to mix, but it really did not dawn on me until several months ago when I started working on a new project with an old client and they spoke up about how the vocal did not sound as good as they wanted it. So I went back to my old projects a started to compare the recordings; I was floored how much crisper the old mixes were. Listening back to the recordings I've done with the Behri, they all seem to have a "dull haze" about them, a lack of detail. I am now trying to invest back into better pre's. A handful of tracks it may not be that big of a difference, but trying to do a FULL band is "Day and Night".

well, now maybe you can get something like a summing mixer from roll music, speck, or dangerous music which might fit your needs better (and use a couple of matched pres for make-up gain), or if you have the $ a line mixer from manley or chandler.
edit: point being that those products weren't really available >5 years ago. there's a whole new market and array of products specifically for analog summing

well, now maybe you can get something like a summing mixer from roll music, speck, or dangerous music which might fit your needs better (and use a couple of matched pres for make-up gain), or if you have the $ a line mixer from manley or chandler.
edit: point being that those products weren't really available >5 years ago. there's a whole new market and array of products specifically for analog summing

The Behri is not bad for mixing down. It is actually user friendly for a digital mixer, but I plan on selling it. I was going to convert over to Tascam's new digital mixer, then I decided I want to go back to mixing from the PC and use a straight summing device. It kind of sucks to have invested money in the Behri (and to have taken a lost on the MCI), but had I not downgraded my system, I would have never really known how BIG of difference a good mic pre could have on my overall projects, and I think that experience/knowledge is priceless. I plan on getting a Speck X-Sum after I get my last pair of mic pres; meanwhile, I am using a Mackie LM3204 to do my summing and the Behri for track monitoring for now.

All I'm hearing from this is "POOP FART POOP FART BARF POOP".

You all smell terrible.

personally i would never say barf-- i prefer hurl or boot. poop and fart, yes, it is quite possible that i said those things.

i haven't showered in a few days...

personally i would never say barf-- i prefer hurl or boot. poop and fart, yes, it is quite possible that i said those things.

i haven't showered in a few days...

Who really has, ya know? This is a forum for gear snobs, not hygiene snobs.

Back