Mixing With Headphones

if you are going to try to mix on headphones, at least do this:
How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial

So, I read that posting, but I'm not sure how to apply it to my mixing process when mixing with headphones.

I'm work all ITB. I think this is what I should do, but please provide suggestions on how to apply the headphone EQ:

1. I figure out what the EQ adjustment curve should be for my headphones. I do this ahead of time, and it's the same whenever I use that set of headphones.

2. When I mix a song, I add a parametric EQ on my Main channel out. I set that curve to what I found in #1.

3. I mix the song like normal.

The thing that confuses me is that if I (like the author of that post) have to notch out high frequencies, any of my prior mixes might sound muddy. If I go back and re-mix, its likely I'll have to push up the highs on some/all of the instruments.

I'm confused...help me understand, please?

you'll get there quicker,
mixing on proper monitors.

leave the headphones for detail mix items, phase issue detection, micro editing, enjoying the final mix.

Hi all, is mixing in headphones a no no. I find that i can get a nice mix in the headphones but when i switch to speakers there are parts that nearly disappear. Likewise when i mix through speakers there are parts that then sound too loud in the headphones. Due to restrictions with sound levels it is easier for me to use headphones. Which is the best way to mix, obviously there is a balance that needs to be reached.

To me headphones are the least important reference when mixing, however I do use them and occasionally make a slight adjustment based on something I hear. Then I'll check my various monitors to make sure that adjustment stands true.

Back