Mixing my first album for another band.. feedback please

Well, well... some hackles raised I see....

I'm not taking sides - you 2 can duke it out - but couldn't resist a listen to a mix that caused so much commotion........

Mistral... I'll say this -- you get a guarded thumbs-up for an improvement between the "original" mix and your version.

The original one lacked punch and really sounded like a wet blanket had been thrown over the entire mix. You brought out some of the clarity and punch, but you also made it quite harsh-sounding and too edgy....

Your overall balances are more or less in the ballpark, but I find the snare sounds thin and flat. I would have liked to hear more definition on the toms. The vocals are also very edgy to the point of being garbled and unintelligble in certain places.

You mentioned that this was a rescue mix, and as such, your abilities were limited, but actually your job as a mixer is to get the sounds to sit right - even if you have to twist the knobs inside out!

Sometimes getting clarity means bandwidth limiting on certain tracks to let other tracks breathe....

Anyways, you're on the right track... punch and hi-energy is good - but not at the expense of clarity and track definition! (regardless of the musical style)

Keep at it...

Bruce

thanks bluebear.. I will take these things into consideration. that's what I needed, good solid explanations.

Back