Mixing Mesa & Krank heads & cabs

enuenu

I have a 100W Mesa 3ch DR and Recto 4x12 cab. My friend has a Krankenstein+ 120W head and 4x12 Krankenstein cab (150W Eminence Texas heat speakers). Below are photos of the back panels of the heads and cabs.

We want to experiment with swapping cabs. Then further to this, maybe even playing through both heads and/or both cabs at once with one guitar if this is possible and usual. We have very little tech knowledge and don't want to damage anything.

* I am guessing to play the DR through the Krankenstein cab I simply put a cable from the 16 Ohm outlet on the DR to the Krankenstein cab.

* To play the Krankenstein+ head through the Recto cab, I guess we have to flick the switch on the back of the K+ head to 8 Ohms then plug into the 8 Ohm socket on the Recto cab.

So far so good? Maybe obvious but the consequences of a mistake don't bear thinking about. We waited a loooong time to obtain these rigs.

Could the K+ head be switched to 4 Ohms and this then plugged into one of the 4 Ohm inputs on the Recto cab while I simultaneously take a lead from a 4 Ohm socket on the DR to the other 4 Ohm socket on the Recto cab? Thus 2 heads going into the Recto cab? Could we plug the 2 heads into the Krankenstein cab?

How do I use the "Out" socket in the Recto cab? Can I plug the DR head from an 8 Ohm outlet into the Recto cab then daisy chain to the Krankenstein cab via the "Out" socket in the Recto cab? Maybe this can't be done as the Krankenstein cab is "16 Ohms parallel" whatever that means in practical terms.

Are there any other configurations we could try?
Could I plug the DR into the Recto cab via 8 Ohm and at the same time into the Krankenstein cab via 16 Ohm, thus having 2 x leads coming from the DR, one to each cab?

Does the "Slave Out" socket on the DR or "Line Out" socket on the K+ come into play at all?

Here are the images;
DR head
p5233175.jpg

Recto cab
p5233167.jpg

Krankenstein+ head
wp000125f.jpg

Krankenstein cab
wp000129j.jpg

Last edited:
Back