mixing down

cabbage

hey,

so i have all my tracks the way that i want them with all the envelopes and volumes done....so now what, how do i get all these tracks with all the envelope changes onto a cd?? and how do the files get smaller, cause at the momment they are huge and you wouldnt be able to fit many on disk
thanks,
C

i am not familiar with sonar, but once you get a wav file, you will need to encode that to an mp3 file. There are a lot of free programs out there, just search google.

notbradsohner said:
i am not familiar with sonar, but once you get a wav file, you will need to encode that to an mp3 file. There are a lot of free programs out there, just search google.

NO!! if you are wanting it to be CD format you need to bounce it down as a .WAV 16bit, 44.Khz format. MP3 is NOT a CD format that you want to use. It will ruin the sound of your song. I'm not familiar with Sonar, but all software programs are the same pretty much. Look under the file menu somewhere and you should see something called Bounce or Export as Audio or something. Each program calls it different. Then just check the settings I listed above. This will give you the best quality you can have on a Red Book CD. You will probably only be able to fit 700MB or there-abouts on a disc. Each minute of stereo audio equals about 10MB. So therefore you'll get only roughly 70 minutes of stereo on a CD. Good luck.

thanks a bunch for your help,
if anyone else has something to so it would also be appreciated.
cheers again
C

Once I have mixed all the levels, stereo positioning, EQ adjustments, and effects, I SAVE it, then bounce it all to one track, delete the original tracks, save it under a DIFFERENT name indicating that it's a mixed down version, normalize, compress (if needed) and finally, EXPORT AUDIO (under the FILE dropdown menu) to a wav file. You then can burn it to disc and take it around and monitor it on different players to determine what changes may need to be made. I hope my process helps you find a process that works good for you.

Why would you delete the original tracks??????????
:confused:

tappmusic said:
Once I have mixed all the levels, stereo positioning, EQ adjustments, and effects, I SAVE it, then bounce it all to one track, delete the original tracks, save it under a DIFFERENT name indicating that it's a mixed down version, normalize, compress (if needed) and finally, EXPORT AUDIO (under the FILE dropdown menu) to a wav file. You then can burn it to disc and take it around and monitor it on different players to determine what changes may need to be made. I hope my process helps you find a process that works good for you.

Because if that mix-down is a keeper, I prefer to lessen the burden it has on my processor by removing the rest. I've got a fast computer, but I like to have a file devoted exclusively to my mixed down version. It's just my preference. The song pops right up when it's not trying to load 16 to 20 other tracks. Like I said, it's just the way I prefer to do it. Please let me know if there's a better way. I soak up everything I can from these forums.

Maybe I misunderstood you, you mean you remove the original tracks from the song file (or whatever it's called in your program), but keep the original tracks on your hard drive somewhere. This is fine, and is recommended for the very reason of easing the load on your processor. Sometimes folks will even "print" tracks with effects (such as compression) onto a new track/wav file, so when they continue to mixdown, they don't have to instantiate that plug-in. But I would NEVER remove original/raw wav files from my PC (unless the take/performance itself sucked!)
Good luck!

tappmusic said:
Because if that mix-down is a keeper, I prefer to lessen the burden it has on my processor by removing the rest. I've got a fast computer, but I like to have a file devoted exclusively to my mixed down version. It's just my preference. The song pops right up when it's not trying to load 16 to 20 other tracks. Like I said, it's just the way I prefer to do it. Please let me know if there's a better way. I soak up everything I can from these forums.

Back