MIXERS for starting out

SEREOUS

I have been looking at getting a mixer such as the
yamah MG8/ or something from the Behringer Eurorack series under 200 dollars. Now the sales people are telling me they are all good product, but thats why i come here. I wanna hear your experiences or input on these mixers.

Thanks

My experience with a berhinger mixer (MX802A) is not so great. I mean, it works, but the preamps are noisy and sound completely lifeless. Behringer claims the new Xenyx mixers have better pres, but I'm suspicious. You're not going to get boutique quality at that price. The Yamahas have a slightly better reputation and I'd be more inclined to buy one of those if I needed a cheap little mixer. Better yet, might be one of the Soundcraft mixers.

i must ask about peoples experiences with the usb mixers. HAs anyone
owned the ALesis Multi MIx 8 usb mixer?? Just curious how you liked it.
Thanks for all the advice, ya i figured the yamaha would be best to go with. I really think i need to buy a new soundcard, so i can just get good mixer- and not worry about this usb / firewire stuff.

I won't go near anything USB for audio. IF you're looking to go digital to the pc, look at the firewire options. That's my opinion.

There's another thread going out there along the same lines as this. How many tracks do you need to do and what recording software are you planning to use? Where I'm going with this is, depending upon how many inputs you need at any given time, descrete mic pres into a decent audio card might be the way to go.

I would definetly go with Yamaha over Behringer. Take a look at Mackie too.

I do have some Behringer gear, including the 1002 10 channel battery powered mixer. I mean a little portable guy like that with 5 mic pres for less that $100 why not?

But in my opinion, you'd be happier with the Yamaha.

I have a Peavey mixer for sale (very good condition ).
PM / email me if you are interested.

dr_s_richardson (at) yahoo.com

A bit more spendy, but if you can find it used, soundcraft makes some pretty good project mixers. I recently picked up an M4 and it blows the berringer stuff out of the water. Has decent pres and 4 aux channels, sweepable mid eq, etc. Stuff tha tin the beginning you might not even touch, but as you look for options can be really nice.

Daav

The Alesis MultiMix 12R is a good mixer for beginers to start off with. It has 8 mic inputs with phantom power and two stereo line inputs, and when you out grow this mixer for your main board, it makes a great side mixer.

In that price range you really can't beat the Yamaha MG stuff. I went through this with a friend and they are truly excellent for the money. It smokes my mackie 1202 that I bought years ago used for 2 bills. Very quiet, good gain stage, the eq is usable which is rare for that price range.

sound wise, i don't prefer the yamaha mg over a behringer eurorack, although the behringer is a little noiser . the build quality of a yamaha mg is much better though. the yamaha mg 12/4 i owned was built like a tank compared to the behringer eurorack 2642a i owned. yours mics and instruments are going to have a much bigger impact on your sound than your mixer so i'd go with the yamaha for the ruggedness and reliability. i never had any issues with the behringer mixer but i certainly would'nt feel comfortable taking it out on gigs.

Back