mix feedback for new song "overflow"

Hi,
I really like this. Everything is performed well and I especially like the vocals.
There's a nice relaxed unplugged grunge feel about it. The lead guitar lick at 2:31 reminds me of STP...Something like pretty penny, maybe?

The kit is addictive drums right?
I wonder could you get a bit more body out of the snare?

I'm on headphones so I can't really comment about the kick and low end, but I hear the bass guitar coming through nicely.

Really enjoyable stuff overall. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I agree man. Great stuff there!

A snare sample with some more body would be much better in my opinion also.

Diggin' it. A lot. very cool feel to this.

On a more so-called "technical" level, I would globally cut a little bit of low-mids. It just has a slight box-y build-up to it. Maybe try a global cut at around 350 to 500 and see if it gets it out of that box. It's not a major issue by any means, but I think it would really help the tune sparkle a little more.

great tune.

Hi,
I really like this. Everything is performed well and I especially like the vocals.
There's a nice relaxed unplugged grunge feel about it. The lead guitar lick at 2:31 reminds me of STP...Something like pretty penny, maybe?

The kit is addictive drums right?
I wonder could you get a bit more body out of the snare?

I'm on headphones so I can't really comment about the kick and low end, but I hear the bass guitar coming through nicely.

Really enjoyable stuff overall. :)
Thanks for sharing.

thank you for the feedback- Yes, drums are addictive drums, its funny the snare sample I chose sounded way more beefy in my DAW, but lost its character when I rendered the track...strange. I'll go back and find a better one for sure.

I appreciate your comments!

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree man. Great stuff there!

A snare sample with some more body would be much better in my opinion also.

thank you! just to be sure, we're talking about a different, thicker snare sample? (not just eq'ing or turning up existing one) correct?

Diggin' it. A lot. very cool feel to this.

On a more so-called "technical" level, I would globally cut a little bit of low-mids. It just has a slight box-y build-up to it. Maybe try a global cut at around 350 to 500 and see if it gets it out of that box. It's not a major issue by any means, but I think it would really help the tune sparkle a little more.

great tune.

Rami: thanks for your comments. Do you advise going in to the existing mix and sweeping around with a narrow notch type eq, around those freq.s you mentioned? or should I do a broader Q? Mids and low mids are a huge challenge for me to get right. Too few and I hear a lack of warmth, too many and things get boxy and kind of muddy.

Thanks again for your help!

thank you! just to be sure, we're talking about a different, thicker snare sample? (not just eq'ing or turning up existing one) correct?

Yeah man. I use Addictive and many others for writing. Never actually found a solid snare sample with Addictive myself that was worthy of a rock record. Just my opinion tho.

You have some really good stuff here though man. I would like to help.

If interested, send me the snare (as full length audio track) and I will send you a bunch of different snare samples to play with. :)

Just PM me for email and shizz..

Rami: thanks for your comments. Do you advise going in to the existing mix and sweeping around with a narrow notch type eq, around those freq.s you mentioned?
That's what I would do to find the frequency(s). Crank up the the gain, narrow the Q, and sweep. The annoying frequency should stand right out and "sing" at you. But, to be honest, I would then go into the actual mix and try to find which instrument(s) is guilty of that/those frequency(s). By doing it to the overall mix, getting rid of the boxiness on one instrument might come at the cost of thinning out another instrument.

I'm not one for EQ'ing an overall mix myself, but I'm also by no means a mastering engineer. My idea of "smashtering" is slapping a limiter on my final mix after I've done all I think I can do to the actual mix.

It's a very, very nice sounding production, but for one thing - to my ears at least. The string squeak when changing chords around 0:57 onwards is very middly and prominent. Really distracting and loud. Good job, otherwise.

I listening on Audiophile speakers (Not monitors) and it sound fantastic !
the bass and kick sounds grate, and the sneer is quite Ok to.
I listening on Tons of music on this setup, so I think I know how it should sound :-)
And this is Pro sounding!

Tom
TSTstudio

Great effort. Very Smooth and well mixed. But I mostly like the vibe of the first minute, once the piano kicks in and later synth strings and later again various other sounds I feel it looses focus and becomes busy. The whole time I'm waiting for a more direct section.

Back