Mix a rock song with blues theme...?

here's my go, I did this mix in about 20 minutes, it was a fast one. There was a problem with cubase though, it didn't print a long delay effect I had in the choruses for some reason, even though everything was set correctly... therefore this is the 'rough' or should I say dryer version!

here's my go, I did this mix in about 20 minutes, it was a fast one. There was a problem with cubase though, it didn't print a long delay effect I had in the choruses for some reason, even though everything was set correctly... therefore this is the 'rough' or should I say dryer version!

Actually, your vocals have more effects on them than I used. Well, effects used as an effect anyway. I used 3 instances of compressions on the vocals in my mix.

Well done by the way.

I just went balls out on adding drum triggers and Melodyne harmony to make the song as commercially acceptable as possible. It seemed appropriate to me to make the tune as polished as I could at the time with the tools I had.

I tried to find the file and cannot remember what I called it back then. I was hoping to give it another level of polish, as I really think this song could be some kind of 'hit'.

Actually the simplicity of the story, combined with the quality of the melody line seems like an obvious hit if marketed on the net with a video that follows the silly basic story.

I should shut up now...

Anyone want to make a video of this tune?

Einar, you should make sure to copyrite your material real quick. Just sayin! :)

Ok, Found the file. Let's make this all it can be Einar. I have some free time. :)

Friends of mine that do great video are not as cheap (free) as I am.

Your thoughts...?

new mix (final version)

I managed to fix the problem with cubase not bouncing the delay sound, so this version is how I intended it to sound, I'm very happy with this mix, it sounded great on the neumann kh120a monitors.There are some nice mixes on this one too, I had a listen to all of them. This was a massive pleasure to mix for me because it is so well recorded and it makes it so much easier! well done and I hope you like my new version.

Ben.

Ok, Found the file. Let's make this all it can be Einar. I have some free time. :)

Friends of mine that do great video are not as cheap (free) as I am.

Your thoughts...?

Hi.
Cant belive you want to polish any more on my song. Much appreciated :-). I really love you version.

Regarding that video you friend could make.....what are we talking about....thousand...?

ps: I read some where if you could prove that you made the music before "the other" your pretty much safe in court with that.......or....?

best regards
-einar-

I managed to fix the problem with cubase not bouncing the delay sound, so this version is how I intended it to sound, I'm very happy with this mix, it sounded great on the neumann kh120a monitors.There are some nice mixes on this one too, I had a listen to all of them. This was a massive pleasure to mix for me because it is so well recorded and it makes it so much easier! well done and I hope you like my new version.

Ben.

Hi. It sounded almost well balanced on my office 2.1 system. The kick and base are close to "to hard" on the sub. I see this is a pre-master, so thats mabye something you normally fix in the mastering....
The delays was a bit all over, and i couldend quite get what you was going for.

Anyway. Thanks for the effort :-)

best regards
-einar-

Hi. It sounded almost well balanced on my office 2.1 system. The kick and base are close to "to hard" on the sub. I see this is a pre-master, so thats mabye something you normally fix in the mastering....
The delays was a bit all over, and i couldend quite get what you was going for.

Anyway. Thanks for the effort :-)

best regards
-einar-

it's a shame you don't like it, but it was good practice for me to mix anyway. The more practice I get the better I will be

Hi.
Cant belive you want to polish any more on my song. Much appreciated :-). I really love you version.

Regarding that video you friend could make.....what are we talking about....thousand...?

ps: I read some where if you could prove that you made the music before "the other" your pretty much safe in court with that.......or....?

best regards
-einar-

Anything that stands out to you that makes you say 'almost perfect mix'?

I have messaged my video friend to get some idea of what options and cost of putting together a video might be.

I was more joking about the copyrite thing. :)

Anything that stands out to you that makes you say 'almost perfect mix'?

I have messaged my video friend to get some idea of what options and cost of putting together a video might be.

I was more joking about the copyrite thing. :)

Hi.

I want to correct my earlyer statment "almost perfect mix" to "perfect mix". Im not shure where you got the "almost" from........guess i was reffering to the song and not the mixing....

And I also wouldent even try to suggest anything, as your clearly much more pro in this. I was so impressed by the sound quality. I shure will use you again...also as an advicer...?(producer-like that is)

-einar-

Nice man!

I must say it is easy to work with tracks that are played well and sound good to begin with.

We all have a different aspect as to what sounds good and do things differently in regards to that. Your mix sounds great to me, though I like mine better. lol. I am not even quite happy with mine.

Thanks man, sometimes it's all a matter of personal taste. I know when we're never happy with our own mix and still looking for that sound in our head :)

I haven't listened to anyone else's mix of this tune (yet), but I listened to the original track and for some reason it reminded me of 'Turbo Lover' by Judas Priest. I went for more of a 'Soundgarden-ish' direction with it though and this is just a rough to show the direction I would go with it. There is no automation and I've only roughly massaged the key tracks - the Organ, the Vocal, hacked up the bass guitar and kick drum. All the guitars are just panned in the direction the names implied and pushed up to general levels - the solo tracks I left out because I would want to replace them with something like a drill motor driven guitar solo....

One of the main reasons I went in the direction I did was because the main vocal track was badly clipped and distorting it was much easier than trying to fix it and make it sound natural.

ooops, I guess I can't play, not enough posts to add the link.

Ha! I squeezed out a few posts....

Everyday Rough

Last edited:
I haven't listened to anyone else's mix of this tune (yet), but I listened to the original track and for some reason it reminded me of 'Turbo Lover' by Judas Priest. I went for more of a 'Soundgarden-ish' direction with it though and this is just a rough to show the direction I would go with it. There is no automation and I've only roughly massaged the key tracks - the Organ, the Vocal, hacked up the bass guitar and kick drum. All the guitars are just panned in the direction the names implied and pushed up to general levels - the solo tracks I left out because I would want to replace them with something like a drill motor driven guitar solo....

One of the main reasons I went in the direction I did was because the main vocal track was badly clipped and distorting it was much easier than trying to fix it and make it sound natural.

ooops, I guess I can't play, not enough posts to add the link.

Ha! I squeezed out a few posts....

Everyday Rough

Interesting with the 'Turbo Lover' approach. :)

See, we all have a different approach as to what sounds good to ourselves. Yours is just a different way of hearing things. That is one part of recording/mixing that I find quite interesting. The way you hear and mix a tune, is just different from mine. And that is cool man.

Not sure why you found the vocal track 'badly clipped'. Hell, I made a harmony track in Melodyne with it and found it to work quite well. And further, after my first mix by adding drum tracks via MIDI, I decided to play drums live for the song. Maybe listen to the other mixes and see how different we all are in how we hear things. It is quite intriguing...None are bad-just different.

My vision of another persons tune may not be the same as theirs. That is what makes us all unique. Sometimes, it just works. Sometimes it does not. That is why some artists choose particular people or producers/engineers to work with. :)

Hey Jimmy,

After I posted that I did listen to a few of the other mixes, and I actually followed the thread back to find yours - which is great btw, very polished and what I would say is close to a finished production.

One of the first things I do when I work on a studio mix (I'm generally a live mixer) is just to throw everything together in a mix sort of place things in general proportions and listen to see what the song 'says to me' - in this particular case, I heard the distorted vocal track and just decided rather than try to clean it up I'd go the other way with it, so that's where my decision to go in that direction came from. I also listened to the lyrics, and thought they were kind of cheeky, and they carried more weight in the melodic sense than they did in any sort of deep meaning where intelligibility would have been more important.

Once I started distorting the vocal track, I was tempted to put some time in to polish it up a bit, get the delay times spot on (as they are definitely wrong in most spots) and bring out that effect out so that it enhances the song more than it clutters it up - which it is doing allot of the time in the rough mix. There would be a few hours worth of mixing to get this to a first draft, which would make it more like work :eek:

I listened to the original track and I just got the bug in my ear as to what I envisioned it sounding like, my rough mixes are just the way I use to communicate those sorts of ideas because it's usually quicker to throw it together than it is to try to explain it with words.

As for the main vocal track, open up the original track in an audio editor - It looks like it was clipped and then brought down 3dB after the fact. Could be that someone used a hard limiter while tracking as well but when I audition the vocal track on it's own I was hearing it so I just started adding more dirt to it.

Interesting with the 'Turbo Lover' approach. :)

See, we all have a different approach as to what sounds good to ourselves. Yours is just a different way of hearing things. That is one part of recording/mixing that I find quite interesting. The way you hear and mix a tune, is just different from mine. And that is cool man.

Not sure why you found the vocal track 'badly clipped'. Hell, I made a harmony track in Melodyne with it and found it to work quite well. And further, after my first mix by adding drum tracks via MIDI, I decided to play drums live for the song. Maybe listen to the other mixes and see how different we all are in how we hear things. It is quite intriguing...None are bad-just different.

My vision of another persons tune may not be the same as theirs. That is what makes us all unique. Sometimes, it just works. Sometimes it does not. That is why some artists choose particular people or producers/engineers to work with. :)

Hey guys I realise this thread and this track have had a good run, and Jimmy's mix is pretty darn immaculate, but as a first time poster on these boards I did want to contribute something.

I had a go at my own mix (and sneaky master).

I did it fast and slammed it hard,so if you wanna rip apart my techniques go ahead haha, i need good feedback. (BTW great track Einar)

Attachments

• EVERYDAY PRACTICE MIX-zeed.mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
What a cool thread, though aged. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time mixing this for myself and listening to others. Thank you all!

Back