Miss Audio Path

A1A2

Missing Audio Path

ok, this is pretty urgent, so, anyone who happens to be here at 5:30am, please help out. I got a project due in 4 hours and I've just lost all of my tracks....

I think I messed around with the audio folder, where all my tracks were, and deleated some unused tracks. And when I reopened Sonar, all my tracks have become silence (but there was no warrning about missing files or anything). So, I went back to the audio folder and all the tracks are still there. Restored everything that's in the trashcan, and still no tracks.

I've right-clicked on each track>clip properties, and the folder path is correct, but there is just no audio file in that window...weird

Anyone??

Al

Last edited:
When Sonar doesen't find the wave-files, it asks for them, so it should turn out fine.

I'm sorry but this is the only thing I can think of:
Have you rebooted your computer?

And are you using Folder Per Project?

moskus, just the man I least expected an answer from at this time of the day:D j/k thanks for stopping by.

Yeah, i've rebooted. I believe I choose folder per project, but for this project, I moved the cwk file to another location, and have been working from there ever since without a problem.

Something really strange happened tho before everything went odd. I was in SoundForge trying to open some tracks in the folder where the cwk file was, and by holding on to the mouse and dragging mistakingly, I lost 2 Flash files right there. I thought they got put into dif folders there, but appearantly they are gone for good. This is the only cause I can think of, but the path between the cwk and audio files is unchanged tho....

Is there anyway to force Sonar to scan for audio files?

Al

ok, nevermind about those missing Flash files, I found them in a neighboring folder, being cut and posted there, the cwk file was never moved.

Al

You can use the Cakewalk AudioFinder (it's on your Sonar CD) to scan for WAV-files. See if the wav-files of your program is refered to by your cwk file.

And you're forgetting that I'm in Norway... a slightly different timezone than you. ;)

moskus,
ah, that's right, I remember using that thing once when someone (i think it was you, too) helped me fixing some other prblem. Thanks alot, man.

Ped,
yeah, a picture would be a good lesson for my typo:D

Al

Is there any chance the audio tracks are actually still there, only obscured by accidental slip edits?

When SONAR first came out with that feature, I had similar things happen to me a bunch, and it turned out to be a combination of two factors: I didn't understand slip edits very well, and there was some sort of bug going on that miscalculated where the endpoints of an edit were actually supposed to be.

One way to check is to save your file as a bundle and see if its size indicates no audio (small, on the order of a MIDI file, a few hundred KB) or audio (large, many MB). If the former, the audio's probably lost. If the latter, it's probably in there but obscured.

AlChuck said:
Is there any chance the audio tracks are actually still there, only obscured by accidental slip edits?

When SONAR first came out with that feature, I had similar things happen to me a bunch, and it turned out to be a combination of two factors: I didn't understand slip edits very well, and there was some sort of bug going on that miscalculated where the endpoints of an edit were actually supposed to be.

One way to check is to save your file as a bundle and see if its size indicates no audio (small, on the order of a MIDI file, a few hundred KB) or audio (large, many MB). If the former, the audio's probably lost. If the latter, it's probably in there but obscured.

Alchuck,
I tried and couldn't save the file as a bundle because of "missing audio path" according to Sonar, funny how it lets me open the file without realizing the audios are missing.
About slip editing, I looked it up in the help file, and I don;'t think that's where my problem is..I will try the audio serach thing that moskus mentioned earlier.

ps. I've been meaning to PM you about this book my professor recommended. It's called "Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice, and Sound Efficts in Cinema" I thought you might be interested in reading something like that. Just a thought.

Al

moskus said:
You can use the Cakewalk AudioFinder (it's on your Sonar CD) to scan for WAV-files. See if the wav-files of your program is refered to by your cwk file.

Moskus,
I just tried the audio finder, and the interesting thing is it didn't even find the cwk file that I'm having problem with. Weird...oh, you know how there is a folder containing all the audios that Sonar uses,right? I've put the tracks that are missing in a folder within that folder, do you think that might have been a problem?

Al

here is the screenshot if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• screen.gif
    screen.gif
    59.1 KB · Views: 104
A1A2, sorry my notion turns out to be wrong.

And thanks for the tip on that book, I'll look into it...

Ooopps, missed this at first:

oh, you know how there is a folder containing all the audios that Sonar uses,right? I've put the tracks that are missing in a folder within that folder, do you think that might have been a problem?

Ding! I think we have a winner.

I believe if you do something like that outside of SONAR, it will of course not be able to find them. Typically apps like this which assemble pieces that are in files on disk have something that pops up on opening if a piece or pieces can't be located... it says something like, "the file blahblahblah.ext cannot be found. Do you want to: (a) skip this file and continue; (b) show me where the file is; (c) commit suicide, etc. etc." But you say SONAR just opens it up anyway with no warnings or messages? Odd.

Anyway, if you put them back where they originally were, your problems might go away.

I agree with AlChuck, but also find it odd that you get no error messages.

Dumb quesiton - can we assume that you get no sound when you try and play the file? Just want to be sure it's not simply a graphics issue.

Re: Missing Audio Path

A1A2 said:
...So, I went back to the audio folder and all the tracks are still there. Restored everything that's in the trashcan, and still no tracks.

So you still do have the audio, right?
Wasn't there some method where you could get audio tracks into a new or different cake project? Like if you had the audio but lost the project file. What if it's the cwp that's gone bad? Could you start a new one, bring the tracks in?

"I've right-clicked on each track>clip properties, and the folder path is correct, but there is just no audio file in that window...weird"

This would be from inside the project track view? What about from explorer in the audio folder? (Not really sure where this leads though...)

Sorry to bring this up now but... where the hell is your back-up?!
:(
I do hope you get it resolved. I've gone through some rather wild path-folder-template-project bs (haven't we all) and posts around here make for good lessons all around.
Wayne

Have you tried select all tracks (Ctrl + A), Edit --> Copy, open new project, Edit --> paste. Sometime it works for me.

;)
Jaymz

first of all, thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Alchuck,
Sonar was running fine with my folder setup from the day I started the project. I think I used folder per project, and just set it so the audios were stored on my second HD inside the normal cakewalk audio folder.

dachay2tnr,
yes, no sound....

mixsit,
the audio trakcs are still inside the folder, but Sonar simply doesn't "see" them...and, I know, why didn't I back up! :(

James,
I tried cut and paste onto a new project, no luck so far.

I've noticed some unstability (?) lately when open this cwk file, Sonar crashes now and then...a corrupted file maybe? Oh boy, it's gonna be a long trip to start a new file and import everything and remix everything....at least I still have the tracks....

Al

So (anybody) isn't there a way to get orphaned track data into a new project? And, what about doing a 'save-as' Template? I know you can erase the audio, leaving the automation, all the track settings and plugs in place. See where I'm going with this?
If you can bring these two ideas together, it might get you back pretty close.

Back