Minimal Drum Micing

prestomation

Hey everybody,

I remember reading that old, great thread on drum micing, but cannot find it agian. It was two OH's, one over the snare, one over drummer shoulder, with the two sticks length from teh snare for both. I'm recording some drums tomorrow, and would love to try this. Any one have the link handy? :p

Thanks!

I don't have the link, but when I've done 2 or 3 mic drums, I usually end up moving the mics around so that they pick up where the drummer is playing - i.e., if there's no low tom in the song, I might use one of the overheads near other drums (rack toms, for instance). As long as the drummer can play balanced and you keep those mics in phase, you're in great shape.
Good luck on the session tomorrow!

i did this recording with 2 mics...a 57 on the kick and a global audio gxl 2200 for an overhead. the 57 was about an inch from the resonant head on the kick and the gxl 2200 was placed about 3 feet above the kick to capture the rest of the set. it doesn't sound amazing but it certainly doesn't sound like ass either...

i recorded the drums in my bedroom which is 10x18 and there is currently no treatment. the kick was eq'd, gated, and compressed while the overhead was high-passed and sent through a reverb plug-in.

Sounds good to me. The only thing i can say about it is the snare seems as if it has too much mid and possibly not enough treble. Maybe its just an opinion based on the style of snare im used to hearing, but id like to hear what anybody else has to say about it???

i think it's just how the mic picked it up. i tried to eq the overhead to bring more of the snare out but that proved to be challenging. it probably would have sounded better if i placed the mic above the drummer's head instead of above the kick.

this was more of an experiment as opposed to how i actually record drums.

use one condenser overhead and a kd mic and buss it thrue a single channel in a compressor and record to one channel.
It's a nice old way to record

Back