MindPrint or JoeMeek?

lavoz

I'm considering adding a channel strip to my setup...the two I'm looking are MindPrint En Voice or the JoeMeek VC1Q. I'm also looking at the dbx 376...but I'm hesitant on seriously heading down that road. The only thing this unit will be used for is voice. Any feedback?

lavoz

they are both(mindprint and joe meek) GREAT and you wont go wrong with either...it will come down to which you prefer the sound of.....

Man, has this road been traveled before.

Gidge is right. If you can listen to each pick the one you like best. I have never heard the Mindprint Envoice but those who have it love it. The same goes for the Meek VC1Q.

I have the Meek and like the sound. But if I I had to use the Mindprint I'm sure it would put a smile on my face also.

Which color DO YOU like?
That's what matters.

yep, its like asking what flavor ice cream is better, PecanPralines&Cream or RockyRoad or ChocolateMarshmallow Crunch....they are all delicious, and definitely better than Vanilla.....

No wrong answers. I have a DBX 386 (which is just a stereo tube mic pre where the 376 is a channel strip with the same pre) and a MindPrint. The MindPrint kicks some serious ass that's for sure but the DBX ain't no slouch either. The Mind print has more charecter where the DBX is more transparent. I have the digital I/O option in the Envoice and this is where they differ. The DBX has external word clock input where the Envoice does not and I think the converters in the DBX are a little better. I'm taking things to a fine point here, the difference is very subtle. I love 'em both. different colors, and I can never have too many crayons.

uh, nobody said the dbx was bad...i didnt comment because im not too familiar with that unit....the few times i heard dbx units was in bad situations and while i didnt particularly care for them, it wasnt good enough to pass judgement....

ease up on the coffee big guy:D

Gidge Baby, I wasn't being hostile. I love you man (hell, I even voted for you).:D

About a month ago Guitar Center was almost giving away the En Voice...my problem, I didn't pull trigger! Again the only thing this strip will be used for is voice! I'm looking to move my board out of the chain and replace it with a solid mic pre and/or channel strip. Meek knida of grabs at me because of flavoring (so they say!) and En Voice specs out nicely...I'm thinking the dbx will give me digital outs...that could work too! But for just a few more $$ I go and get...

lavoz

If you are only using it for voice, I'd probably go with the Meek. It is highly regarded as a voice channel because of the preamp and optical compression. That's why I bought mine.

tdukex,

Thanks for the reply...I've been leaning towards the Meek. Its my uinderstanding that Meeks 6 is quite a bit different from the 1. Is this true?

lavoz

Different preamps in the VC1Q and the VC6Q. However, most of the controls are the same, except I believe the VC1 has an exciter and a de-esser. The VC1 preamp is a higher grade of preamp.

From the Joemeek website:

Q. "What is the difference between the VC6Q and VC1?"

A. "The main difference is the microphone pre-amplifier and the "eq" on the VC6Q. The VC1 uses a transformer front end rather than the "chip" set used in the VC6Q and VC3. The transformer circuit on the VC1 is very high quality and offers a high pass filter, along with mic line switching, phantom power, and phase reverse on the front panel. The other added features are a full size VU meter that is switchable between input gain and compressor gain reduction. An enhancer bypass switch is added to make it easier to compare wet VS. dry signal. On the rear there is both XLR and 1/4" balanced line outputs.

If you do a lot of vocals, the VC1 should be the unit to get. If you do line and instrument tracking, there really is no major difference other than the "eq" section. The primary cost difference is the mic pre-amp and the extra features. It is worth the additional $200.00 if you have good mics and do a lot of vocals."

I'm going to give the same advice I always give on this type of question..... TEST THEM BOTH OUT FOR YOURSELF!!!!!

The Meek isn't 'better' than the MindPrint, and vice vursa.
Both of the units are excellent in their own right, but have a few differences... that's all.

The Meek unit colors sound.
The MindPrint can go from transparent to colored.

Advantage: MindPrint (...more sound options)

The Meek has a de-esser.
The MindPrint doesn't.

Advantage: Meek

You can A-B these things all day, but you should go and listen and compare both units before you decide. This stuff is all subjective to the listener.

As I said, neither one is 'better', they're just different... that's all.

Buck

Excellent point Buck! The drawback of doing an A/B test is finding a dealer that not only sells both models, but has on the floor for testing! Research! Research! Research!

lavoz

The "Meek Color" is produced by the optical compressor, not the preamp. That is the "color" that people seem to either like or dislike. So by leaving the compressor out of the signal chain, the VC1Q produces a transparent, clean sound IMO.

On the other hand, the optical compressor is THE reason people purchase the Meek in the first place. So if you don't like Meek optical compression, you don't want this unit.

Back