MIDI to audio: sound quality issues

achasse

I'm using HS 2002, and I'm converting MIDI to audio via my keyboard (i.e., MIDI data out from soundcard into keyboard, audio out from keyboard back into soundcard via line-in). The sound quality is just not as dynamic as what I'm hearing through my headphones (which are also plugged into the soundcard and pretty much produce the same sound I hear through the keyboard's speakers when just playing normally) - especially with percussion sounds, which I'm very picky about.

I've tried every imaginable combination of volume and recording level, but I just can't seem to get a good recording that has volume, clarity, and depth the same as the signal coming into the soundcard.

My gut tells me this is a function of having a simply average soundcard (Soundblaster Live).

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
ARC

Midi is NOT audio... it is a series of commands that dictate to a midi-enabled sound device HOW to playback a given piece...

The audio sound quality is completely dependent on the the sound module being used (ie, the calibre of sound samples IN the sound module.)

If I send you a midi file, and you don't have a high-end sound module containing the sound patches I have in my studio, then you won't hear that midi file the I hear it.

It is very possible that your soundcard is the culprit, but then again, if you say you were able to play it back properly while recording the midi, simply use that same devices (or devices!) to play it back.

Bruce

definitly ur soundcard....u need a card that has 24bit capability.
that help with the issue of ur recording not sounding as dynamic and as much depth. for better clarity u need a card capable of higher sampling rates then 44.1 cards usually come 24/96 now aday.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Not necessarily... cheap 24-bit converters will sound a lot worse than good 16-bit converters.

Bruce

Thats only half of the story. Sound Blasters are extremely noisy cards. For the most part, ANY pro level recording card is quieter than the Sound Blaster and not necessarily more expensive. The SB Audigy can go for over $200 with the Live Drive add on. The M-Audio Audiophile is currently around $150.

I bought an Audiophile 2496 last week and it kicks my SB Live's ass in terms of sound quality.

brzilian said:
Thats only half of the story. Sound Blasters are extremely noisy cards.
How is what I said only half the story????
My comment is absolutely true, 100% of the time!

But anyways - SB quality aside (which, I agree, is limiting...) I think the issue has more to do with the quality of the sound patches he's actually triggering... or maybe a combination of both.

Bruce

Soundblaster is to soundcards what casio is to keyboards,very usable on one level but not the next.

hooray I'm now a junior member!

Blue Bear Sound said:
How is what I said only half the story????
My comment is absolutely true, 100% of the time!

But anyways - SB quality aside (which, I agree, is limiting...) I think the issue has more to do with the quality of the sound patches he's actually triggering... or maybe a combination of both.

Bruce

The quality of the converter has nothing to do with the fact that SB's use cheaper connectors and often pick up interference from other components inside the computer.

That may very well be, but the converter quality will have a far greater impact on sound quality than the connectors will.....

Bruce

Blue Bear Sound said:
That may very well be, but the converter quality will have a far greater impact on sound quality than the connectors will.....

Bruce

:confused: How can hearing interference from my HD being accessed while recording be a better thing?

HUH??? Are you arguing just for the sake of typing???? :eek:

Your posts inferred that connectors will have more impact on sound quality than the converters will.... I disagree with that premise is what I'm saying....

Further, any distortion of the signal added on top of that simply causes MORE degradation............. which isn't good regardless of the connectors OR the converters........

This isn't a difficult concept............ :rolleyes:

Thanks, all. From the looks of it, sounds like I need to invest in a better soundcard. I have found the SB Live to render great recordings of digital audio via a mic thru the line-in jack... I guess I figured I could expect the same from a line-in from my keyboard. Strange. It's mostly the bass drum and snare sounds that are giving me fits... back to the drawing board I guess!

bluebear's answers here are right on the money....

I also support the change to audiophile2496, I have mine last week as well, the the difference to my old SBlive value is very noticible, I can hear things I'd never heard before.... :) great stuff!

Teacher said:
definitly ur soundcard....u need a card that has 24bit capability.
that help with the issue of ur recording not sounding as dynamic and as much depth. for better clarity u need a card capable of higher sampling rates then 44.1 cards usually come 24/96 now aday.

how would u know the difference between a good and bad(besides by listening spec wise)?...i didn't think there were soundcards that had better 16 bit converters then there 24 bit counter parts...i thought that was only for serpare HD recorders that were on ly 16...

Back