Midi Synthesizer

chkdrummer2006

I have been using the sound blaster live midi synth to play all of my midi files in Sonar until i got a better sound card. I had to uninstall the sound blaster live drivers due to incompatability issues between the two cards, so now i dont have a midi synth to play my midi files. Are there any free midi synths that i could download?

I got few questions regarding your setup...

1. What version of your SONAR?
SONAR comes with various soft synth called DXi which can be loaded. They are soft synths, the contain might be various to your SONAR version. They're there in the installation CD. Make sure you install them along with the core program and plugins.

2. What's your new soundcard?
I had many setup ran well with SBLive! and other card. Once I had SBLive! with Delta 66, SBLive! with Delta 1010LT, and also SBLive! with Terratec EWX2496. No problem running them together. All you need to do is make sure they don't share resource of your PC/conflict configuration. The reason I still use the SBLive! is because it's MIDI capability and soundfonts.

;)
Jaymz

I am using sonar xl 2.2. The sound card i got is an Edirol DA-2496. Do you think that I could leave the drivers installed on the computer, then just disable them in sonar? The main conflict was with the bit depth, because i record and edit everything at 24 bit 96 khz. I have installed everything on the cd, but the only midi devices listed are the edirol midi input, which wont do any good, and the microsoft midi mapper, which ive already tried. Do i have to route the midi channel through the DXi Instrument? Sweet, i ran it through Dream Station Dxi 2 and it works! Thanks for all your advice.

Microsoft has a built in WaveTable synthesizer.

You could also download a GM soundfont and play through it with LiveSynth

Or, get some of the thousand of other free VSTis available, and use any combination

Back