Midi Help (IMPORTANT)

NLAlston

Hello everyone.

I have a Midi situation that I need immediate help with.

My singing group has been requested to sing at a Christmas program, on the 11th of this month, and we have chosen 'Silent Night' (the Temptations version) as one of the songs. We are an accappela group, who will be singing the other songs without music. But we wanted to sing to the Midi track of Silent Night - which would be the last song.

Before purchasing that particular Midi file, I happened to find a free midi file of another song - on the internet - and downloaded it so as to try and get some understanding on how to work with it.

I have the Yamaha Motif-XS, and had thought it would be a relatively simple matter of working with a Midi file. I changed a few instruments, and totally did away with the melody track - only to find that each altered track reverted to what it originally was, when I attempted to set up for recording.

Can someone PLEASE share with me what has to be done, for the user's changes to remain permanent?

Hello everyone.

I have a Midi situation that I need immediate help with.

My singing group has been requested to sing at a Christmas program, on the 11th of this month, and we have chosen 'Silent Night' (the Temptations version) as one of the songs. We are an accappela group, who will be singing the other songs without music. But we wanted to sing to the Midi track of Silent Night - which would be the last song.

Before purchasing that particular Midi file, I happened to find a free midi file of another song - on the internet - and downloaded it so as to try and get some understanding on how to work with it.

I have the Yamaha Motif-XS, and had thought it would be a relatively simple matter of working with a Midi file. I changed a few instruments, and totally did away with the melody track - only to find that each altered track reverted to what it originally was, when I attempted to set up for recording.

Can someone PLEASE share with me what has to be done, for the user's changes to remain permanent?

It sounds like there are program control changes embedded in the tracks (or stored in a master track). With luck you can find an 'event list' that you can edit (i.e. change the channel sound patch to the one you want).

Alternatively, you can record the programm change: arm for recording the midi track you want to change, hit record, change the sound, then stop. This won't over-ride the embedded change, but with luck, the new change event will be recorded after the original, but before the music starts.

It sounds like there are program control changes embedded in the tracks (or stored in a master track). With luck you can find an 'event list' that you can edit (i.e. change the channel sound patch to the one you want).

Gecko,

Thanks a LOT, man. That did it for me, and I appreciate you MUCH.

Back