MIDI Electronics books?

Tim Brown

Does anyone here know of any good MIDI Electronics books?

I don't mean "how MIDI works" in use. I mean, how MIDI works from an Electronic Tech's perspective.

I'm trying to design a new drum module. I've been tempted to leave MIDI out and hire an engineer to work it up using Firewire to connect it to a PC, and completely bypass the use of MIDI.

The unit I'm trying to design is essentially for live drummers to be able to trigger from an acoustic kit, yet be able to Download sounds from a PC via Firewire in 24-bit, 96 khz .WAV format.

I want to use a DVD burner on it, so that they can store the sounds on DVD+R, rather than a CD.

My goal is for the user to be able to sample and edit the sounds on a Computer, and then download them to the unit via Firewire, or burn them to disc, and then the drummer can put the disc in the module and play it back.

Why?

Well, I'm a drummer who has been interested in Electronic and Digital Drumming for 20+ years. The units out today aren't bad, but I have a different vision in mind. I hate playing on pads, and while the modern units can be triggered from drums - they aren't specifically designed for that purpose - that's sort of a "bonus".

So, I'm working on a set of parameters that I would like to see in the unit (such as using as much PC technology as possible, like using DDR Memory sticks, so the user can have up to 512K of memory per channel. (The initial module I'm working on would be a 12-channel 3 or 4 rack space module.)

Essentially, it's going to be a 12-channel Sample reader. I'd like each channel to be able to hold about a 30 to 60 second sample, and then there will be a Control Voltage input (i.e., where the "Trigger" plugs in) to fire the sample.

I have a few special things in mind regarding the triggers - I'm not giving away any secrets, but so far I've got a design that allows full dynamics in the trigger path, and any sound you can get out of an acoustic drum, you will be able to trigger excatly like you play it.

I've already developed a few things, I've searched the Patent office and there is nothing like 2 of the things I have already created - and both of these work. of course - I had to sacrifice a vintage ddrum unit to learn how some of this stuff works - but it's pre-MIDI, and they no longer make the chips used in it, but I'm working around that. LOL

So, now my next step, is to learn the actual electronics end of MIDI, because I would like to be able to include MIDI in it. (I also would like the unit to be able to use Plug-in effects, live, in real time.)

I have not been able to find "The Book" that I'm looking for. Does anyone really seriously know about MIDI from the engineering viewpoint?
Should I kick out the $50+ to purchase the MIDI manual from MIDI Manufacturers Organization?

I guess that may be my answer, but I'm hoping somebody knows of a more economical means to learning this aspect of MIDI, and since it effects Keyboard players the most - I felt my odds of finding somebody "in the know" would be here.

Thanks,
Tim

Back