midi controller and onedirectional mic

mikerenwick

I have couple of questions. And since I really don't have much of experience with keyboards, please spare me my ignorance. and story goes like this.
Recently I wanted to detour from my all acoustic type of recording to try to get into synthesizers in general. And I was looking at roland A-33 and really liked the way it felt.
However, sales clerk told me that midi controller/module combination is less stable than synthesizer that already have sounds in it. Is this true?
Also, he mentioned that if I am not planning to use it with computer extensively, there is no need for me to get a midi controllers. Is this true as well?
I am not really sure about these things because clerk seemed really persistant for me to purchasing something that day!!

and also, my onedirectional mic that my father gave me long time ago is pretty much dead so I need a new one. I just want to hear random things about random onedirectional mic from random people so it'll expand my knowledge. :)

so sorry for this completely two different topic squeezed into one...

>And I was looking at roland A-33 and really >liked the way it felt. However, sales clerk >told me that midi controller/module >combination is less stable than synthesizer >that already have sounds in it. Is this true?

Clerk?
You do mean sales maggot, don't you? :)
There is no difference in stability between these two systems, only differences in functionality.

>Also, he mentioned that if I am not planning >to use it with computer extensively, there >is no need for me to get a midi controllers. >Is this true as well?

Partially. Keyboard/Synthesizers without MIDI ports won't allow you to trigger the cool sounds you've paid for from an external control source and also won't let you export your performance data to another synth to get additional sounds that your synth doesn't have. Computers just make this interface
easier to deal with, as well as providing, via the Internet, another source of MIDI data.

I don't trust your sales jerk/clerk..

You will be better off with anything Midi, because it will link up to any other midi device.

A best bet for a single Uni-directional mike
is the"tried and true" SHURE SM58.
you wont ever regret the investment
for about $100.00 (Musicians Friend)

If you have more money to spend, look into a condenser mike, but you will need a Phantom Power supply (+48v) to power this type of microphone. Condenser mic's can be Uni- or Omni- directional. If you are recording Omni's are great! But for live performance with a PA system, you are much better of with a Uni-directional mic.
(They pick up sound mostly from one direction and tend to reduce or eliminate feedback from the monitors).

Sincerely;
Dom Franco

thanks for the advice dstrawl and DOM FRANCO!! That sales maggot is scum and apparently is pretty famous for it. Since there are no other music store in vicinity of where I live, apparently he can make living! I live in middle of nowhere! :(
but that's really beside the point.
So now I guess I will shop on internet.
but for added question, can you barter from the internet shops? I mean using e-mail?

[This message has been edited by mikerenwick (edited 08-12-1999).]

Back