Mid to High end Preamp Recommendations

Thanks again for all the great advice. Dot, thanks for that chart, that will be a very helpful reference for me in the future.

For the time being I decided to pick up a GA pre73 mkII since it was so cheap, and sounds like I can't really go wrong with it. By no means do I intend to stop there ..I intend to get another mid-range micpre for versatility in my studio, just figured at that price I may as well pull the trigger for a good bang for my buck. After speaking to a friend of a friend about the GA I just picked up, he mentioned that the only problem is GA went cheap on the transformer, and I should consider switching that out for a St. Ives or Marinair from an original Neve unit. Doing so would basically give me the original Neve unit for a fraction of the price. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that can help me do this.....anybody have any comments/feedback on this idea?

...the only problem is GA went cheap on the transformer, and I should consider switching that out for a St. Ives or Marinair from an original Neve unit. Doing so would basically give me the original Neve unit for a fraction of the price. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that can help me do this.....anybody have any comments/feedback on this idea?

A lot of the modders use a Carnhill VTB 1148.

I have two avedis ma5 pre-amps, and never cease to be amazed how good they sound on everything. Acoustic guitars are crisp and clear. Electric guitars sound rich and gooey. Vocals have a nice full warm tone. If I had to pick only one pre-amp to record everything, the ma5 would be it.

Back