Mid to High end Preamp Recommendations

TheNightman77

Hi All,

I've been researching this topic for a long time now, and I'd really like to pull the trigger soon on a mid-range preamp (or possibly even 2 channel stereo preamp) in the range of about $600-$1000, with some small wiggle room on the high end if the recommendation is that the small increase in price really is worth the extra dough. Although this topic has been beaten to death, and reality is there is no right answer due to the subjective nature of the topic, perhaps someone can make some recommendations that will work for my purposes, based on my specific setup and style of music that I record.

My current recording chain includes a Presonus Digimax FS Octpre into a MOTU 828mkii interface. The 10 pres between these two units are the only ones I have at the present, and it seems apparent to me that having at least 1 mid range preamp would do my recordings a considerable service. I bought the OctPre because I wanted to record drums, and though they are serviceable enough, I'd really like to get a better sound overall out of vocals and guitars. I use Yamaha hs80m monitors.

I tend to play music with heavier guitars......not drop C breakdown type metal, but rather hard rock, alice in chains/iron maiden/metallica type riffs. I use an sm57 for guitar mic, but also have an audix i5 at my disposal that I use on occasion. The vocals I track are entirely clean and I do not utilize screams/growls. I've actually been quite happy with the bass tone I am able to get when I direct in to the Presonus, so bass is not a major area where I need improvement.

So given that I am intending to use this preamp for mostly heavier electric guitars and clean vocals, are there any recommendations for preamp units that may be right for me? Some pre's that I'm currently looking at are:

- Grace Studios M101
- Api512
- Avedis ma5
- Chandler "little devil" 500 series
- Neve preamps (I've heard these are terrific for metal, but not sure if any are within my price range? Maybe the 517?)
- JDK Audio r20
- Peavey vmp2

Of course any other unit suggestions are encouraged, as well as feedback on the above units. As you can see from the above, some of these units are standalone, some are 500 series that require a power supply, some are 2 channel mic pre's. I haven't fully decided on which way to go, and I don't do much stereo recording, but of course it would be nice to have that option as long as the preamp quality isn't sacrificed. I have listed a few 500 series pres as there are a ton of choices, but at the same time, I see the cost savings vs standalone units only kick in after 3 or 4 units are purchased, which I don't currently have the budget for, and I don't really think I'll be purchasing that many in the future. I've also heard that the lunchbox sometimes doesn't supply enough power to some 500 series pre's. So at this point I'm mostly leaning towards a standalone unit.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions that you can provide me with! I can post additional information on what I'm looking for and my current equipment if necessary.

Can you solder? or do you know someone who can teach you (it's super easy)?

Seventh Circle Audio has an API and a Neve clone that are AMAZING. For around less than $1700 I built 2xAPI, 2xNEVE, and 2xSome other simple transformerless system, and 1xchasis (with slots left for 2 more preamps). It's amazing. You could also do 2xAPI or 2xNeve for under $1000 and have a set up that destroys almost anything else you're looking for.

If you don't want to make your own (which is pretty easy), 2xGAP are great.

My only complaint with focusrite is their stuff is so ugly and/or boring. I use a saffire 40 as my interface and it's just boring.

My only complaint with focusrite is their stuff is so ugly and/or boring. I use a saffire 40 as my interface and it's just boring.

If my car gets me to the Press Conference to pick-up my after-taxes $10 Million Dollar Lottery Prize, it doesnt really matter if the car is ugly or boring.

I just bought GAP73 recently and its a great preamp, especially for guitars and adding colour. Its meant to sound like a Neve but i have no experience of something that high end...all i know is two of these together would be a good investment for around $700, theres a DLX version with more bells and whistles for around $1k for the pair...i have heard the focusrites, if its clean you want these are great, but for some grit/colour id go with a pair of GAP73's...

If my car gets me to the Press Conference to pick-up my after-taxes $10 Million Dollar Lottery Prize, it doesnt really matter if the car is ugly or boring.

haha, i knew an answer like that was coming.

I'll use ugly stuff, but it would be cool if they put a little more thought into the way it looks, that's all. If it were a question between function and looks, I'll take function every day.

Lots of great responses here, thanks so much for the info guys.

I looked into the 7th Circle Audio and am definitely very intrigued by the idea of having similar quality preamps to the Neve and API for less cost. Looks like they all get great reviews too. While I don't do much soldering I have a buddy who is ipc certified so he can help me out. I reached out to another friend of mine regarding 7th Circle to get his opinion, and he said that they have good products, but he would suggest going for one of the kits from Audio Maintenance in the UK which are similarly priced. Does anyone have experience with this company that they can share? I know that they are one of my friend's clients, so not sure if he was just talking them up or if they are indeed a better way to go than 7th Circle.

I do tend to use more gritty tone than clean, so it sounds like golden age may be a better match for me than the focusrite.

Thanks a million for the suggestions guys, and keep em comin!

I can't speak for the other company, but I've been using the 7th Circle stuff for a few years and loving it. I have 2xNeve, 2xAPI, and 2xT15 and they are pretty much all I use. I also have a GAP that I use regularly too. The 7th circle stuff is stellar and very easy to build. In fact, that was the first thing I ever soldered...had a friend teach me and then I took off. Since then I've built dozens of guitar pedals, other pres, compressors, and a couple 1176 compressors. So, don't be scared by the soldering...it's a breeze.

I can't speak for the other company, but I've been using the 7th Circle stuff for a few years and loving it. I have 2xNeve, 2xAPI, and 2xT15 and they are pretty much all I use. I also have a GAP that I use regularly too. The 7th circle stuff is stellar and very easy to build. In fact, that was the first thing I ever soldered...had a friend teach me and then I took off. Since then I've built dozens of guitar pedals, other pres, compressors, and a couple 1176 compressors. So, don't be scared by the soldering...it's a breeze.

I have a soldering iron but no soldering friend...do you have any tips? ;)

Nightman, if you're doing heavy music, you want to get into more colored pres. Anything above 8 on this chart.
Pro Studio Reviews - Mic Preamp Graph

In the area of around $1000 for two channels of pres that would work great for you, I'd recommend you check out the Sebatron vmp-2000e.

explaining soldering in words is so hard...i tried and what i had written was junk. youtube should have some good stuff.

This one is ok...start paying attention around 2:20...and ignore when he says "clip leads prior to soldering" I never do and I've never had a problem.
How and WHY to Solder Correctly - YouTube

I never clip leads before soldering either. I solder a bunch of components, double check that they are in the right place and correctly oriented, and make sure that the solder join is good. Then I clip.

One thing I find really handy is an inexpensive plastic lead bending tools like these:

bend.jpg

These allow you to get neat and correctly spaced bends on resistors, diodes and other axial components.

For someone who has never soldered, you can get "beginner" kits from electronic stores which provide a circuit board and a few components. This provides opportunities to practice soldering, and perhaps de-soldering, on something which isn't going to cause angst if there's a stuff-up.

Paul

Back