Mics I'm Totally Spoilt For Choice.

This thread is getting weird.

Just to add some counterweight, I wish there had been a microphone like the Studio Projects fifteen years ago.

I've been recording the last three days with a great rock band that will record the coming weeks.

We've tried a number of great classic dynamics on guitars and bass amp, like M88, MD421/441.

The guys prefered the B1 on the guitar and bass cab and you know what? It sounds simply great.

Keep going Alan!

MadAudio said:
sdelsolray - Nicely said. And even though I'm relatively new around here, I predict that DJL won't get it and will be back with more of his venom.
Any sensible mater-of-fact, to-the-point post made around here by sdelsolray, me, or whoever will just bounce off DJL like BBs off a tank.

Don’t be fooled by his smiley emoticons or his seemingly helpful attitude. He’s out to get Alan with a vengeance for some reason. Sometimes I believe his only motive for helping people is so he’ll have a little bit of backup when he slams Alan.

Also, don’t believe that whinny crap where he insinuates he’s protecting newbies from Alan's misleading info. There have been many threads like the one Crazy Doc just posted a link to, where he just attacks Studio Projects out of the blue. There, he takes an added feature like the “colored dot” sensitivity matching” system and tries to twist it into a case of poor QC just because he’s bored one Friday afternoon and has nothing better to do.

This guy has no credibility as far as we know –no one knows his name, where he lives, what he’s recorded, etc… As far as we know he could be some 14 year old kid who’s only recorded a dog farting with a 1969 Allied cassette recorder and one of those hand-held pencil mics with the ON/OFF switch.

No, nothing’s going to deter him from slamming Alan on every possible occasion. The only hopeful outlook is if we either get a moderator with the authority to fix this or enough people complain to Dragon that he does something about it. Until then he’s just going to keep whizzing on every thread with SP content.

Flatpicker said:
a 1969 Allied cassette recorder and one of those hand-held pencil mics with the ON/OFF switch..

Ooh... I think my older brother had one of those. Had that real warm analog sound. He set it on fire with half a gallon of kerosene.

Brent Casey said:
No kidding.
I am well aware of what my boss said. Apparently you are not.
In the first quote, he is speaking of frequency plots that were done on an early capsule design which was later modified slightly for production.
Regarding the updates: yes. I have done some updates along the way to the C4's. Perhaps you should consider that there are changes which may be done to a mic that do not alter the sound.
DJL, are you an un-busy man?

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335
So you did know what I was talking about then. In the thread where Alan Hyatt posted "Brent keeps updating the C4's along the way" we were talking about how much the Behringer B5 was similar to the Studio Projects C4 and that is when Alan said you were still updating the C4... which IMO, Alan was insinuating that even if at one time the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 were the same, they aren't now because you had updated the C4.

If your updating the C4 didn't change the sound... what did the upgrading do? And are you still upgrading the C4... or are all the mods finished now?

EDIT: Spelling correction.

Last edited:
QUOTE..............."......which IMO, Alan was incinerating ....."

OMFG.............Alan was incinerating!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry DJ, but you just keep on keeping on.

DJL said:
So you did know what I was talking about then. In the thread where Alan Hyatt posted "Brent keeps updating the C4's along the way" we were talking about how much the Behringer B5 was similar to the Studio Projects C4 and that is when Alan said you were still updating the C4... which IMO, Alan was insinuating that even if at one time the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 were the same, they aren't now because you had updated the C4.
Let's try to keep the facts straight: You were the one doing all the "talking about how much the Behringer B5 was similar to the Studio Projects C4". Alan never "insinuated that the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 were the same"; that was you, and you didn't "insinuate" it (or say it was your opinion) - you made the assertion that they were identical, without any proof. You're the only one making that claim; please either prove it with some real facts, or shut the fuck up about it, till you can prove it.

When you present opinions and suppositions as facts, you hurt everybody here. Present them as your opinions or conclusions, and I don't have any problem with that. You think Alan's posts are spam? Fine, I don't have any problem with that either, but it shouldn't be made into your personal crusade every time he posts here.

Is he biased? Yes, but he clearly identifies himself and his connection to the SP mics. If you're afraid people won't understand that connection, a simple post saying, "Alan Hyatt is the owner of Studio Project microphones" should be enough to alert any newbie about a possible conflict of interest, or a slanted post.

Look at the Puluso mic thread. I quoted some statements about those mics but made sure that everybody saw these were Mark's opinions and I was just passing them along. I don't know everything there is to know about mics. If I don't know something for certain, I ask the people that do know. If I don't get answers, I don't make up claims and try to present them as facts. Alan and Brent don't owe anybody here specific answers about their manufacturing methods.

If I have an opinion, I present it as my opinion, and make sure it's clearly labeled as "my opinion" (as I did in the original ECM8000 "best bang for the buck" thread). I told people what the advantages of a small omni mic were, and pointed out the potential noise problem when recording quiet sources.

Everybody here has asked you to cool it, as far as your personal war with Alan goes. I've said it before; I'll say it again; I hate this kinda shit. Please stop. It does nobody any good and serves no useful purpose.

Incinerating?
Jesus Mary and God on a trampoline with Joseph nearby on the lawn looking dejected,
DJL is George W. Bush!!!
This explains a lot, actually.

Harvey Gerst said:
Let's try to keep the facts straight: You were the one doing all the "talking about how much the Behringer B5 was similar to the Studio Projects C4". Alan never "insinuated that the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 were the same"; that was you, and you didn't "insinuate" it (or say it was your opinion) - you made the assertion that they were identical, without any proof. You're the only one making that claim; please either prove it with some real facts, or shut the fuck up about it, till you can prove it.

Harvey, why DJL is always picking on Alan is something I simply don't get and I do respect Alan very much, the guy makes great mics and offers a great deal of help.

But (and we've been here before) there was a post of Alan on Studioforums a while ago in which he said something like: everybody knows the B5 is a C4 clone.

If there's something I really can't stand it must be unjustice and dishonesty.

I don't want to stirr things up, but that post is/was a fact, it got deleted a day later after I'd made some remarks there.

I regret I didn't save it in my PC, this will happen no second time.

Let's try to keep the facts straight: You were the one doing all the "talking about how much the Behringer B5 was similar to the Studio Projects C4".

Correct, and others commented in the thread too.

Alan never "insinuated that the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 were the same"; that was you, and you didn't "insinuate" it (or say it was your opinion) - you made the assertion that they were identical, without any proof. You're the only one making that claim; please either prove it with some real facts, or shut the fuck up about it, till you can prove it.

Incorrect... but, close.

When you present opinions and suppositions as facts, you hurt everybody here. Present them as your opinions or conclusions, and I don't have any problem with that.

Here are some FACTS... both the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 come with interchangeable capsules, and both mics have a roll-off/pad switch... and both the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects C4 are made by 797 Audio in China... and to top it off, I think Behringer is known for copying.

You think Alan's posts are spam? Fine, I don't have any problem with that either, but it shouldn't be made into your personal crusade every time he posts here.

It's not, most of the time I jump on Alan for his crap... however, there are a few times it was because I was pissed at all the dirtbag comments from the SP supporters and etc.

Is he biased? Yes, but he clearly identifies himself and his connection to the SP mics. If you're afraid people won't understand that connection, a simple post saying, "Alan Hyatt is the owner of Studio Project microphones" should be enough to alert any newbie about a possible conflict of interest, or a slanted post.

Ok, I'll do that... plus, point out the crap

Look at the Puluso mic thread. I quoted some statements about those mics but made sure that everybody saw these were Mark's opinions and I was just passing them along. I don't know everything there is to know about mics. If I don't know something for certain, I ask the people that do know. If I don't get answers, I don't make up claims and try to present them as facts. Alan and Brent don't owe anybody here specific answers about their manufacturing methods.

And I'm still waiting for Brent's answer in this thread

If I have an opinion, I present it as my opinion, and make sure it's clearly labeled as "my opinion" (as I did in the original ECM8000 "best bang for the buck" thread). I told people what the advantages of a small omni mic were, and pointed out the potential noise problem when recording quiet sources.

I agree, and I've made it clear that it is my opinion that the Studio Projects B1 suck eggs as vocal mic.

Everybody here has asked you to cool it, as far as your personal war with Alan goes. I've said it before; I'll say it again; I hate this kinda shit. Please stop. It does nobody any good and serves no useful purpose.[/QUOTE]

If the SP supporters stopped their dirtbag comments and just let Alan and Brent answer my questions there would not so much crap... everyone would learn more, even you..

Harvey... Why is it that only I'm not intitled to asking questions or voice my opinions... and you (and others) only jump on my case and don't jump on Alan's case for posting misleading info, spam, name calling, and etc, etc?

Brent Casey said:
Incinerating?
Jesus Mary and God on a trampoline with Joseph nearby on the lawn looking dejected,
DJL is George W. Bush!!!
This explains a lot, actually.
If your updating the C4 didn't change the sound... what did the upgrading do? And are you still upgrading the C4... or are all the mods finished now?

Han said:
But (and we've been here before) there was a post of Alan on Studioforums a while ago in which he said something like: everybody knows the B5 is a C4 clone.
That's a minor distinction, I think. Saying the B5 is a clone of the C4 doesn't automatically imply that it's the same mic. And doesn't "everyone know" that Behringer often rips off other companies' designs? Seems to me Behringer should be taken to task, not SP.

DJL - Now you've pissed off Harvey. Not a good idea, IMO.

Last edited:
DJL said:
Harvey... Why is it that only I'm not intitled to asking questions or voice my opinions... and you (and others) only jump on my case and don't jump on Alan's case for posting misleading info, spam, name calling, and etc, etc?

It's all in the presentation....

DJL said:
If you can find the "Under the hood" thread, you'll see where I jumped all over Alan's ass about some incorrect info, and even threatened to stop testing his mics. I also got into a big fight with Alan here about an assertion he made regarding diaphragm thickness versus maximum SPL. I respect Alan a lot for what he's accomplished in this industry and his abilities as an engineer, but if somebody makes an unwarranted assumption, I will butt heads with them, regardless of who they are, as I did with Ted Perlman's posts about the C1.

Frankly, you're the biggest impediment I've run into here, as far as making unfounded claims and assumptions about products, mainly the SP stuff. It's really geting old and tiresome. Is every SDC that has interchangable capsules, a roll-off switch, and a pad, a clone of the SP C4? These kinds of mics have been around for decades. SP made an affordable pair and Behringer followed suit. Big fuckin' deal.

Is it the same mic? Personally I doubt it, but the feature set isn't exactly rocket science. The fact that they are both made by 797 means they probably share some technology, but just the fact that they share some similarities doesn't mean they're identical, or even close in sound.

You refuse to believe that and want proof they're not identical. Alan and Brent owe you nothing in the way of proof. Insisting that they are identical without proof puts the burden of responsibility on you, not them. Badgering them will not get you anywhere. If I were Alan or Brent, I wouldn't give you the time of day, knowing how you will twist anything they say to further your unfounded assumptions.

I'm friends with Larry Villar at ADK, Wayne Freeman and Len Marshall at MXL, Brent and Alan at SP, Karl Winkler at Neumann, Dirk Brauner at Brauner, Wes Dooley at AEA, Stephen Sank, Tony Merrill, David Satz at Schoeps, and I have a forum right next to Klause Heyne (on another board). All these people have earned my respect over the years for their contributions to the advancement of microphone technology. I believe I've also earned ther respect for being as honest as possible when discussing their products publicly.

When you make statements or offer opinions and then try to present them as facts, without proof, you do all of those people a disservice, and it hurts everybody here as well. If you present an opinion and challenge people to prove you wrong, and your challenge goes unheeded, it's still just your opinion. Your unheeded challenge doesn't automatically make your opinion a fact.

And no, you won't see me butting heads with Alan here everytime he posts, because, for the most part, Alan is usually right about the stuff he says. When I think he's wrong, I'll point out where I think he's wrong and why, but I'll show him the respect he's earned and worked hard to keep. You, on the other hand, have done very little to earn anybody's respect on this forum.

And that's the sad part for me personally, because I really believe you could easily become one of the most valued members of this forum, if you could just lose your personal biases and stick to contributing, which you've done very well in the past.

Harvey, I don't know if the Behringer B5 and Studio Projects B5 are the same or not... but I doubt that they sound exactly the same for the simple reason that the housing is different.... but, I think they may be more alike than PMI would like to admit... but Alan did say the B5 was a C4 clone so I guess in a way PMI did admit it. And I do remember you butting heads with Alan in the past... I also remember Larry (ADK) and Tom (DBX?) and etc, etc butting heads with Alan also. It looks like Brent is not going to answer my question... too bad, because I bet there are a lot of people who would like to know besides myself.

If you ever get a chance to play with the Behringer B5 I'd like to know your opinion.

With that said, I'll drop it... as you requested.

Back