Microaggression (A real swinger, kids!)

propman

OK... This is one of those few-and-far-between rockers. Please, comments, criticism, mix advice, etc.!

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65316259/Microaggression.mp3[/MP3]

Lyrics:

(Uh-oh, look!)
Hey - help me with my homework
Hey - pound it out
Hey - help me find my way in the dark
Hey - make me a pizza

Hey

Hey - help me save my money
Hey - sew my shirt
Hey - what's wrong with my computer
Hey - don't blow up my email

Hey, Asian, help me with my homework
Hey, black guy, pound it out
Hey, blind guy, help me find my way in the dark
Hey, Italian, make me a pizza

Hey, Jew, help me save my money
Hey, Chinaman, sew my shirt
Hey, Indian, what's wrong with my computer
Hey, Arab, don't blow up my email

(I wonder what's the matter with him, anyway)
(I don't know ... He's sure got me buffaloed)

I bet you people cut a rug real' nice
Uh-huh

-----------------------------------------------------------

I await your thoughts! (Greg, you there?)

Sounds like mid development DEVO.
Funny and fun.
The bassy synth seems to distort at the beginning - don't know if that's actually distortion but is sounds close to it - it doesn't sound bad either.
Good song, good performance may need to move some things around in the mix to achieve some clarity.

Thanks, buddy! (I knew the the whole time that I was basically ripping off Devo, by the way... I'm glad that came through!)
Are there any particular things I should move around in the mix to achieve said clarity?

Also, (not to throw things off topic but) what do you think of my new banner? I'm really pleased with the way it turned out
(Proud, even)!

Last edited:
It's cool - except for the burning stick! Even ironic references to gaspers make me wince given that it's part of my job to prevent little tykes taking them up.
Remix wise - I don't know - maybe reduce a little of the crackly distortion/decay on the bass synth just to see if that makes the middle a little clearer.
Have you heard the final, mastered, version of Watch? If Y what do you reckon?

I enjoyed the track. It made me think contemporary Devo. I too wasn't keen on the distorted synth at the start . . . but other than that it is an awesome song.

Yeah, I'm not super into the distortion on the accents at the beginning.

You've got some pretty cool sounds in here as usual.
I really like the funk bass sound when it kicks in

I'm not entirely sure I get the song. That sure is a lot of racial stereotypes without any good context to explain what you're trying to say about them... (I figured somebody had to comment on it.)

Adam, I wondered the same thing as VHS. Having listened a few times I'm thinking that by merely stating those racial stereotypes outright, you are pointing out how ridiculous they are. They sort of speak for themselves.

I like the tempo and the vocal delivery. Mix-wise, I feel like there's a hi-gain fuzz on something throughout that could be tamed maybe? It might be the sound from the intro that ray and vhs mention, but if so, I don't think it is confined to the intro. It's a good mix and a fun tune though :).

I read it as satire/outting the stereotypes. It was done Devoesque & they were into out.
I certainly didn't read it as anything other than humorous exposition.

The production doesn't work for me. I'd rather hear the modern punchy drum kit pounding out the beat, with the rock bass tone and tight guitar line, rather than the lo-fi distortion mixed in.The song doesn't need it, it has a lot of potential, but I'd consider the final production line up before finishing it.

Overall great job!

I thought this was a real fun song. I enjoyed it.

I hear a high-mid distortion in the first first 30 seconds or so. Kind of a annoying fizziness.

I lot of the synths are a little "small" sounding. The synth solo is especially "small". The mix overall is a little on the thin side. Except for a big kick sound.

But a real fun song to listen to.

It's cool - except for the burning stick! Even ironic references to gaspers make me wince given that it's part of my job to prevent little tykes taking them up.
Technically, it's not a "gasper." (It's a lit match... so... maybe it's ironic? I don't know.)

Remix wise - I don't know - maybe reduce a little of the crackly distortion/decay on the bass synth just to see if that makes the middle a little clearer.
I too wasn't keen on the distorted synth at the start . . .
Yeah, I'm not super into the distortion on the accents at the beginning.
Mix-wise, I feel like there's a hi-gain fuzz on something throughout that could be tamed maybe? It might be the sound from the intro that ray and vhs mention, but if so, I don't think it is confined to the intro.
There is a distorted acoustic running underneath the bass track but I’m going to assume that all of you are not referring, in which case, you’re hearing a straight synth that’s heavy on white noise, quick LFO on the filter and a fairly light touch on the cutoff. If that’s the case, I can either tame it with EQ or (and I’m leaning toward this option) programming a new bass synth that’s punchier and less harsh.

I'm not entirely sure I get the song. That sure is a lot of racial stereotypes without any good context to explain what you're trying to say about them... (I figured somebody had to comment on it.)
Adam, I wondered the same thing as VHS.
Well, I was afraid of that… Let me try to explain. This thing called “microaggression” has been making the rounds on various news outlets lately. Wikipedia says: “The concept of racial microaggressions is one of the relatively new theories of Social Psychology that purport to contribute to the understanding of factors that influence intergroup relations. Commonplace, public experiences or situations such as being stopped for a check-up at an airport, being ignored by a waiter/waitress at a restaurant or being assigned to a particular task by an employer, might seem irrelevant or innocuous situations under most circumstances. However, when such situations are interpreted as being linked to racial differences, they become distinct, and take on a different connotation. As a result, people who perceive themselves as being subjected to them (racial minorities) may experience emotional pain or other negative feelings.”

People are getting in trouble for this so-called microaggresion and, although I suspect there are a few cases where this actually applies, it’s basically admitting by its own description that it’s a perceptual thing on the “victim’s” part. Therefore, the first half of my song focuses “commonplace, public experiences or situations” that are (in the second half) misinterpreted as racist actions because the person is reading their race into the equation. “You’re asking me to help you with homework. It’s obviously because I’m Asian,“ etc.

I may be mistake in my analysis but it sounds like an easy way of getting people in trouble without the need for proof of intent built on a bed of the growing lack of communication among people. I’ve made a few racial faux pas in the past that still make me cringe when I think about them and, being as socially awkward as I am, I’m not counting on them being the last (as is the case with the rather long list of other mistakes I’ve made) but this approach seems dishonest and absurd which is why I chose to parody it and, in a way, let it speak for itself.

The audio clips I included are from a 1952 educational film called “The Bully.” I recommend you all watch it, as it is an extremely entertaining piece of camp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the obvious arrangement flaws that have been pointed out and the confusion caused by the song's lyrical content content, my belief that I’ve created something pretty good has taken a big dive and I feel kind of… dubious about continuing with the project.

Last edited:
Have you heard the final, mastered, version of Watch?
I have and it's fairly solid. It has a nice '90s indie rock vibe. The only thing that bothers me (and has since the project's inception) is the drum mix. It sounds muddy and lacking in oomph to me.

I like it. Half the songs on these forums are dreamy, low-tempo ballads, so a driving kick drum was a welcome change.

Couldn't decide if it was racist or anti-racist- it's a fine line, and I'm white too, so I don't know. You might want to run it by some ethnically-diverse listeners first before you go public with it just to see what they think.

JJ.

I actually re-read the title right after my post and realized what the song was about. I thought I'd edited my post, but it looks like I missed the button.

You're going the opposite direction with this from what I thought then! It's certainly not anti-racist per Propman's description. You've got to tread lightly with this kind of thing lest you lapse into belittling people's actual experiences with racism or using terms like "reverse racism" without any sense of irony!

Edit: OK. My rep is at 14 million. Let's see how fast this conversation drives that down!

I actually re-read the title right after my post and realized what the song was about. I thought I'd edited my post, but it looks like I missed the button.

You're going the opposite direction with this from what I thought then! It's certainly not anti-racist per Propman's description. You've got to tread lightly with this kind of thing lest you lapse into belittling people's actual experiences with racism or using terms like "reverse racism" without any sense of irony!

Edit: OK. My rep is at 14 million. Let's see how fast this conversation drives that down!

Racism is one-a-them hot button issues. Everybody in their right mind knows racism is stupid but it will persist as long as ignorance persists. I'm obviously not trying to devalue people's real experiences with bigotry but I'm aware that there is a growing number of people looking for racism in nearly every human action and it's driving me up a wall. Every "news" program is littered with stories about people/groups being criticized/demonized, sued, fired from their jobs, etc. for behavior that was perceived as racist.

I'm not saying anything new. Where there is a big cultural issue like racism, sexism, ageism, and the like, there will be people that try to use it to get leverage in a situation or misinterpreting people's actions because they're sensitive of the issue but it makes people nervous to talk about. I'm certainly nervous.

Really glad I listened to this one. The advantage of this adventure happens when good music shows up unasked for. The best sort. It's often past the critique stage though. I mean, you know the issue's the heavily compressed kick hits are slightly over the top, but it's what pushes the song and also gives the lyrics a foil. It's really hard to turn down the effect. But you should. :)

The audio clips I included are from a 1952 educational film called “The Bully.” I recommend you all watch it, as it is an extremely entertaining piece of camp.

Really? Do you think it'll help me with the issues I'm dealing with?

Between the obvious arrangement flaws that have been pointed out and the confusion caused by the song's lyrical content content, my belief that I’ve created something pretty good has taken a big dive and I feel kind of… dubious about continuing with the project.

No, it's great. I'm glad I dived in.

Really glad I listened to this one. The advantage of this adventure happens when good music shows up unasked for. The best sort. It's often past the critique stage though. I mean, you know the issue's the heavily compressed kick hits are slightly over the top, but it's what pushes the song and also gives the lyrics a foil. It's really hard to turn down the effect. But you should. :)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! However... I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I should turn down the kick? (It's an uncompressed synth kick.) On another note, do you have anything to add to the semi-political conversation I seem to have ignited? I'm really unsure if the song may carry a meaning I may not have intended or that my intended message seems to give no credence to microaggression as a real issue by making light of the obvious flaws in the thought-police-like attitude needed to accuse somebody of being secretly racist.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! However... I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I should turn down the kick? (It's an uncompressed synth kick.)

Ah okay, not the kick then. But there's something in the way it pumps that hits you in the head like a fuzzy mallet. How'd you do that?

On another note, do you have anything to add to the semi-political conversation I seem to have ignited? I'm really unsure if the song may carry a meaning I may not have intended or that my intended message seems to give no credence to microaggression as a real issue by making light of the obvious flaws in the thought-police-like attitude needed to accuse somebody of being secretly racist.

To tell you the truth, none of the ideas you just expressed found their way into my understanding of the tune when I listened to it. I just thought it was very clever the way the added layer of racial groups changed the meaning of the original lyrics. I didn't think it was denigrating. I thought it was either ironic or a lampoon. But know that if you keep it the way it is, there will always be morons who will jump on it and criticize it and you. The world is predictably moronic on a regular basis. Push the right buttons and it becomes immediately apparent. Good luck with the tune. I like it. I just wish it was marginally less in your face percussive. :)

Back