Micing amp with 2 mics. Phase issues.

scorpio01169 said:
why is it bad for the ldc to be up close to the grille?.....i 've done it many times and no problems ever with my mic. i know he's using a 609.
There are plenty of LDCs spec'd to handle up to 135dB SPL and therefore can handle such tasks just fine. The "general rule" of not using LDCs for high SPL stuff is just plain erroneous.

I think it may be a mis-translation of the idea that (until recently) LDCs tended to be on the more expensive side and also tend not to travel as well. For these reasons, you won't often find an expensive Neumann on stage; you're better off keeping that investment in the studio where it won't get dropped into a puddle by a stoned roadie. Since on stage is where the high SPL stuff is normally going on (amps tend to be tamed down in the quality studio), this was mis-translated into "don't use LDCs in high SPL environments."

G.

I'm just wondering why you feel the need to start off with two mics? If you can't get that sm57 to sound good, you certainly aren't going to get it and another mic to sound good. Just stick to 1 mic. Learn how to do that well first.

giraffe said:
A. record a little
B. see which track "happens" first
C. move that mic back
D. repeat

(the inverse works as well)
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cheating with a daw.

that is some pretty good sounding shit there. What is you setup. Analog/Digital? What for mic pres?

i have used it on my mackie 32.8 set-up and Amra and i used this technique on his set-up which is daw and they both sounded great....you have to get the right mix of the two signals but when you do you can go wrong....basically the 57 get the balls of the sound and the LDC gives it a nice crispness of the highs....like i said before start with the sm57 then pull up the LDC to compliment it.....and remember cut some of the lows from your amp...not in your daw or mixer....adjust the eq on mixdown.

HangDawg said:
that is some pretty good sounding shit there. What is you setup. Analog/Digital? What for mic pres?

digital
pre's
1 rnp
dmp3
art tps 2 (buy it)
digimax lt

chain? depends on the song.

thanks!!

HangDawg said:
I'm just wondering why you feel the need to start off with two mics? If you can't get that sm57 to sound good, you certainly aren't going to get it and another mic to sound good. Just stick to 1 mic. Learn how to do that well first.

well thats way off because you get a mix of two very different sounds using two mics. One sound can be a bass sound and one be a more trebel sound. I keep getting some neg feedbacks and its kinda bs soo maybe I should just stop posting.

DAS19 said:
well thats way off because you get a mix of two very different sounds using two mics. One sound can be a bass sound and one be a more trebel sound. I keep getting some neg feedbacks and its kinda bs soo maybe I should just stop posting.

No it's not way off. Is there a reason you insist on using 2? Does it make you cool or something? It's not sexy. It's not mandatory. And if it's causing more problems than it's worth, it's also stupid.

I didnt mean it like that sorry sometimes I might phrase things differntly and you cant tell how I am saying it becuase we are online. Anyway. I just feel I can get a much bolder sound with two mics, I am not satisfyed with just the 57. if you want to help me get a better sound with my 57 please feel free but I can get a good sound with my life depended on it like I said.

Back