micing a Drum set on an 8 channel mixer. Need advice!

Middleman3

Hey there.

I've got an 8 channel mixer, except the second half of the tracks are stereo, so technically its a 12 track mixer.

I've got 7 mics to work with on my set: 1 snare, 1 bass, 3 toms, and 2 overheads.
There nice mics, and made for their specific drum, but Im not sure which microphones to put on each track. the 4 mono tracks have a 75 Hz Bass cut, and a trim, but the stereos don't. Which drums need the bass cut and trim, and which need the stereo? How would you set it up? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 107
Run the 2 overheads on a stereo track. Kick and snare on the mono tracks. Do the tom mics the best you can with the remaining tracks.

Sorry, Greg...gotta dog you on this one...

If you look at the picture of the mixer you will see only four XLR inputs, which means only four preamps, which means he can only plug in four mics with this mixer.

While it's kinda hard to read, it appears that the other inputs are labeled "Mono L" which is fairly common on smaller mixers. If this is the case, by plugging into only the "left" input the channel serves as a mono channel. Which would allow for the use of four external preamps to get a total of eight.

And to the OP...why are you using mixers in the first place? What interface are you using to connect to your computer and how many mic inputs does it have? Do a search both here and on Google for "Recorderman" and "Glyn Johns". A lot of great drum tracks have been recorded with only four (or fewer) mics, and one of these methods is generally easier for a noob as you avoid a bunch of nasty things such as phase issues.

Your best bet is to give us a list of all of the recording gear you have at your disposal along with some information regarding what you are trying to accomplish and we can then give you some good recommendations.

Also, it's best to post your questions on a single thread, and in your case it should probably be the "Newbies" thread. In addition to being very poor manners, posting on multiple threads usually results in a lot of lousy and scattered answers. Look up the parable about the blind men and the elephant and you'll see what I mean...

Back