mic testing

hehe...sure...my problem is that I live in South Africa, which is hardly a place AKG would have a repair/test centre. i've emailed them and am waiting for a response.
these are real old mics (from the '60s i think). they can be real bright and have a bass drop off, which might compliment my voice, so i'm wondering if they'd be any good for vocals. plus they'd look super on stage =]

i guess i'm really looking for opinions of the mics, or AKG in general, if anyone's used them, and advice with regards to getting vintage mics repaired/restored.

Yo National! Welcome to the board! Question is- What's wrong with the mics? They're some cool old dynamic pencil mics. Here's a link, if it helps-

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,204,id,588,pid,588,_language,EN.html

They are small diaphragm mics, and like their condenser cousins, they'll respond quickly to fast transients, and pick up a lot of high end detail. I'd be surprised if they are good vocal mics, but they might be good as a stereo pair, as overheads, or on acoustic instruments. I'd be afraid to use them on cabs without doing further research on SPL handling. I bet they'll be fine. What I didn't get out of your post is- Why do they need service? South Africa is a dry country, which is very good for mics. Unless you know differently, I would think they would work fine.- Richie

thanks for the link richard, and for the comments. do you know any good online microphony resources? the whole mic aspect is a bit overwhelming, cos there are so many options.
south africa is wetter than you might imagine, but yeah it's not damp. :)
the mics are simply not in good condition; the previous owner didn't take care of them, or broke them even. on one, the metal sleeve is completely loose; on both, the bass attenuators at the bottom are loose. that sort of thing.
of the two, one seems to work fine, but how i can be certain if it really is working fine?
i got them free...so i'm not too anxious about them, but it would be cool to have a working pair.

Back