Mic setup.

BroKenSticKs

I'm making a new thread because it concerns all the mics i will be using.

I will be recording the full band (3 piece) simultaneously using 8 mics total going into (most likely) a BR1600. I'm looking to capture a good live type sound but with some control over everything when its on tape.

All the amps are tube and the drums have absolutely no muffling on them (BOOOM:D).

We play sort of classic rock/psychedelic/heavy rock. I want a big full sound that is very natural and warm.

I'm undecided on...
Overheads for the drums
Guitar mic (two 1-12 cabinets)
Bass Guitar mic (Cabinet with 2 10's ontop of one 15)

...and room mics. I would like to capture a good sound using just the room mics then use the other mics for more control.

All replies appreciated. :)

Attachments

• recording setup.jpg
    recording setup.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 152
i suggest,
drums: 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 bass drum. gate snare and bass drum mics
cabs: mic on each
bass: direct
vocals: mic

vintagetobes said:
i suggest,
drums: 2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 bass drum. gate snare and bass drum mics
cabs: mic on each
bass: direct
vocals: mic
I'd agree with you there. most bass cabinet setups have a similar frequency response to HIFI speakers, as opposed to guitar cabinets which have speakers with a limited frequency response that are prone to cone breakup and other fun "guitar speaker stuff". You definitely want them mic'd, but just putting in the bass sound directly should be more than fine.

you don't really need any stereo image from room mics, as you can just do that during the mix down. I had a friend who used to want to always have one or two, but it always ended up just not sounding good.

I would use baffles around the guitar amp mic myself (and the bass if you decide to mic it).
I would also DI the bass.

Todd

i do this same thing where i record my band's jam sessions live. I have a question though, how can I reduce the buzz that the snare generates from the bass cabinet? Is this a common problem ?

Jsn7821 said:
i do this same thing where i record my band's jam sessions live. I have a question though, how can I reduce the buzz that the snare generates from the bass cabinet? Is this a common problem ?

yea, it's a common problem

gobos will help, but nothing short of getting them apart (that i know of) is going to stop it.

BroKenSticKs said:
What would be a good pair of room mics to use? (using the placement in my diagram)

There's no right answer....whatever mic you want to use. If you want matched sound get identical mics though...

Jacob

matt rascal said:
Do you have a matched pair of sdc's for your drum overheads? If so I'd go with those.
I have no mics. ( i have one 57 for the snare but thats it)

Any suggestions on a pair of overheads for the drums that will pick up the toms and cymbals well, while sounding organic and warm?

Whats your budget?
sdc's = oktava, marshall, peluso, shure, earthworks, dpa
guitar cabs = senn 609, 421, shure 57, beyer 201 (great on snare), doubled with an ldc
ldc = CAD M179 (multi pattern, good as oh's though I prefer sdc's), ADK Hamburg (just got one myself, great on vox, cabs, etc), Rode NTK, Studio Projects T3, {There's a multitutude of mics that people are using here, they are all good}
I usually DI the bass and mix it with an RE20 or an ATM 25 on the speaker

BroKenSticKs said:
Any suggestions? LDC SDC?

Kenny made some great suggestions. He didn't make any that I wouldn't, and he made all the ones I would as well. However, if you're looking for room mics, I would say that I (and this is just my opinion) probably not a great idea to get two. You're gonna possibly run into phase issues, imbalance issues, as well as other problems. If I were to do it I'd use a flat and wide mic - like an LDC in Omni mode - that'll pick up the whole rooms sound. Then I'd have the whole band play while I found a possition for the mic that's balanced at ear level.

Try a multipattern for this rather than 2 mics...like the AT 4050, the SP T3, or the CAD M179. There's also a whack of others out there, but a poll I did here regarding multipatterns under 6 yielded that the 4050, then the T3 and then the 179 were the people's favorites...

Jacob

Back