Mic Pres--I did a search and I'm more confused than ever!

guitarlover

Hi,

I currently using Art Tube MP's (2- I record in stereo). I know they're on the low end of cost but they were a definite improvement over those in the Behringer mixer I had used.

The details are as follows: I record acoustic guitar (almost exclusively). My mics are AT3035's and I record to a Fostex MR-8. I recently upgraded to good cables.

That leaves (maybe) the weakest link in the system, the mic pre's. I can't spend (and it wouldn't be worth it anyway) thousands as recommended elsewhere. Given what I have though, is it:

a) worth upgrading the mic pre

b) if so, to what? I don't object to a little warmth so tube is maybe good but I'm open to suggestions. 2 channels would be nice but 2-single channel units are doable.

Thanks in advance. Oh, one more thing. I do prefer meters on the pre (the art's don't have them).

Regards, Steve :D

Easy answer
DMP3 - 2 channels @ $159 new w/ meters ( I have 2 of these)
Aphex 107 - Older unit. 2 channels but xlr only. I paid $115 for mine on ebay.
On a budget I find these units to be very good.
Tom

check out presonus tubpre i use one and it sounds great its only 100$
also the art tps dual channel great for stereo trax i use it for over heads 140$
peace

zbert mentioned the Aphex 107. The Symetrix 302 uses the same equipment as the Aphex, and you may have better luck hunting around for 2 different amps than just one. I use a Symetrix 302 (along with some other things), and have never found it to be my weakest link, so would recommend it.

There are a lot of pres out there, at a wide variety of cutoff points.
I second the DMP-3 as the best currently available cheap 2 channel pre with meters out there. The FMR Audio RNP is $474.95 at Macmidimusic- better pre, no analog meters. M-Audio Tampa- $399, one channel with input and output meters, and lots of bells and whistles, which puts it in about the same area as Presonus Eureka. Toft ATC-2- 2 channels, meters, all the bells and whistles- about $1000. The new Joemeek twinQ should be out about the end of May. I am anticipating a street price of $600-$850 give or take, but only PMI audio really knows. I think it's going to be better than the old twinQ, which I use, and is a very good preamp with compression and EQ, 2 channels.
The DMP-3 is getting a little harder to find, as M-Audio seems to be concentrating on USB computer interfaces more than analog pres these days. If I were you, I'd buy a DMP-3 while it's still available. $159 at 8th street. What the hell? Even after you've upgraded, it'll still be good for something, and it meets your current requirements for cheap. I have a 2 channel Avalon, and I still use the DMP-3, mostly as a preamp for talkback mics. Later on, look at higher end pres. Expect 2 really good channels to start at about $800, with the top of the line being just over $1000 per channel. In the middle range, the RNP is a good compromise. Lastly, ignore tubes. Real tube preamps are *not* in your stated price range. In lower cost units, the advantage of a tube in the front end is highly debateable. Hope this helps.-Richie

FWIW, I have a DMP3 and prefer it over my VC1Q (a $600 channel strip) on acoustic guitar. I haven't compared it to my Sebatron tube pre yet, but I like it enough that I will skip all of the mid-level stuff (RNP, Sytek, etc.) and go straight to a John Hardy (or equivalent) for my next acoustic guitar (clean pre) upgrade.

Thanks!!

Sounds like the consensus is for the DMP-3. There are a couple of new units on Ebay with free shipping, I think that's the way to go.

Regards, Steve :D

Back