Mic Pre's around $1500

Micter

No Title
What do you guys recommend at the $1500 range give or take a few hunnerd. I have a GT Brick that I like but it doesn't work well with certain mics. I have a Focusrite Trackmaster Pro it's decent for the price but sort of sterile. I also have an ART DPS II that is good for adding lots of coloration. :D So with the preamps I own currently I am thinking a higher end solid state pre might be a good idea. Anything I should be looking at? Maybe a Blue Robbie? I know it's another toob pre but a lot of people seem to like it.

And for the record I have searched this site. :cool:

At 1500 you are on the cusp of greatness. What are you tracking? What do you want to do that you can't do now? How many ins do you use at once? What's the GNP of Uruguay?

Last edited:
You could get on the waiting list for the GT SUpre? How about a chandler germanium? How about a DAV and a AEA TRP, the latter only if you have ribbon mics, tube mics, or dynamics that you want more out of them?

Big Kenny said:
At 1500 you are on the cusp of greatness. What are you tracking? What do you want to do that you can't do now? How many ins do you use at once? What's the GNP of Uruguay?
I track pretty much anything you could think of. I'm capable of doing anything but I'd like to do it better. I'm currently running a Digi002R, with an octapre that gives me 16 ins and if I use the DPSII's coax outs I can get 18 ins.

I'd go with two channels of Phoenix DRS, very versatile, from clean (not Hardy clean, but clean) to awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfully British.
EDIT: I just noticed they've gone up, maybe just one channel....

I like the suggestions of the Presonus ADL600 or Neve Portico 5012. Another fine preamp in that range is the Grace 201.

You can also bump up the budget a bit by selling the preamps you have now. Once you've heard a better preamp you're not going to want to use them anyway. Or maybe just sell the Focusrite, I've never been impressed with that particular unit.

The Blue Robbie has such a weird form factor, it just seems like it would be hard to physically find a place for it in a studio. Also, if you need to travel with it or do a remote it just seems awkward.

Pres!!!

Take a look at John Hardy, Dakings and API for a non vanilla sound. Also I like the Portico and the AMI TAB-Funkenwerk V-78. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for. :D

pres!!!

Take a look at John Hardy, Dakings and API for a non vanilla sound. Also I like the Portico and the AMI TAB-Funkenwerk V-78. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for. :D

There are a ton of pres in that range that are sweet. Just look around. I recently saw a Pacifica on one of these message boards sold for $1500.

SonicAlbert said:
I like the suggestions of the Presonus ADL600 or Neve Portico 5012. Another fine preamp in that range is the Grace 201.

You can also bump up the budget a bit by selling the preamps you have now. Once you've heard a better preamp you're not going to want to use them anyway. Or maybe just sell the Focusrite, I've never been impressed with that particular unit.

The Blue Robbie has such a weird form factor, it just seems like it would be hard to physically find a place for it in a studio. Also, if you need to travel with it or do a remote it just seems awkward.

The trackmaster works well with dynamic mics. I don't want to sell it as it has it's uses in my studio. I would sell the DPSII but I got such a great deal on it ($50) and it works as a stereo DI perticularly for synths. I have to admit it can be a bit harsh on some settings but again it does have it's uses.

I'm certainly not selling the brick.

As far as the Robbie goes I could find a place for it easily and wouldn't be dragging it out for remotes.

Big Kenny said:
I'd go with two channels of Phoenix DRS, very versatile, from clean (not Hardy clean, but clean) to awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwfully British.
EDIT: I just noticed they've gone up, maybe just one channel....

The money isn't really that tight at $1500 I was just trying to give a ballpark. I think that Pheonix needs to be seriously looked at.

Basically, when you get into this price range and above, it's going to be a good quality preamp. The questions become more about flavor than bang for the buck.

Because of this you really need to audition the pres if at all possible. You need to listen first or be able to return/exchange the preamp if it doesn't work for you.

I've been known to drive long distances to check out gear. I also go to trade shows like NAMM and AES whenever possible, and have gotten clued into some great gear that way. Nothing beats hands on and ears on the actual equipment. If you don't do that, you are really just guessing.

Guessing is okay when you are spending $50-500 a pop, but when you get into the $1,500 and up range it's really so worth it to go to the trouble of locating the gear and checking it out in person.

There's lots of really good stuff at this level. I'd consider a used A-Designs Pacifica (someone on the Gearslutz board has one for @$1500 - which I'd buy in a heartbeat if I had the spare cash). A really good high quality pre with great flexibility. Alternatively you might consider a lunchbox with a couple used API 512c pres. You can find used API pres for @$600 or so each and a used 6 slot lunchbox will run you @$350 or so. Then you could add 4 additional channels of whatever you want (within the power supply limits) in the future more economically.

I don;t know crap about high end pres, but on gearslutz everyone is all gaga over sebatron, but it doesn;t get too much mention here.

Daav.

SonicAlbert said:
Basically, when you get into this price range and above, it's going to be a good quality preamp. The questions become more about flavor than bang for the buck.

Because of this you really need to audition the pres if at all possible. You need to listen first or be able to return/exchange the preamp if it doesn't work for you.

I've been known to drive long distances to check out gear. I also go to trade shows like NAMM and AES whenever possible, and have gotten clued into some great gear that way. Nothing beats hands on and ears on the actual equipment. If you don't do that, you are really just guessing.

Guessing is okay when you are spending $50-500 a pop, but when you get into the $1,500 and up range it's really so worth it to go to the trouble of locating the gear and checking it out in person.

That's a givin :D I want to get some ideas what to try out. A couple of things are standing out at this point that I know I could just buy and not worry about it. The Neve stuff is always good, the GT SUpre would be something I'd spend the money on and not worry about. Some of the other items mentioned here I would have to check out before I dropped the cash on them. Most likely anything in this price range would do the job and do it well (at least I'd hope so).

Thanx for the advice

KEEP the suggestions coming!!!!!

You could start an API compatible lunchbox-- perhaps an OSA one and then mix and match some preamps from different companies-- API, Purple (the biz) the Pacifica P-1 (single channel of the Pacifica) and others, Eisen custom pres, Brent Averil, Avedis, etc.
A significant part of the cost for nicer preamps seems to be the power supplies and if you invest in an API-compatible lunchbox or rack, you can power multiple units and just buy the cards as you expand.

Back