mic preamp question

discordJF

I currently own a Roland VS-1680 and I was thinking about buying a mic preamp, probably the ART MP. The only problem is, I can only afford one of them. Would I be able to buy just one mic preamp and then after I record my drum tracks, run the tracks through the ART MP and get the same effect as running each mic through a separte mic preamp while recording?

Yo Discorded One:

I have an ART MP and it has two channels. So, I can have it processing two inputs at once if need be.

I don't quite understand your question; however, the ART has 1/4 inch in/outs; so, you can run something already recorded back into the ART and then out of it to wherever if you want.

Why not just record the drum through the ART? Since you have a dandy recording box, you should have no problema.

The Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 03-13-2000).]

What I want to know is whether running the drums tracks throught the preamp during mixdown will sound as good as recording each mic with a preamp on it. I can't do that, thought, since I don't have enought money to by like 8 mic pre's for all 8 tracks of drums.

It not going to even be close to being the same thing. give us more specific details about how you are micing the drums (what mics are you using, how many, placement... etc.) then maybe we might could give you some decent advise. The mic pre would be a good investment though- youll defintly get some good use out of it. But if your mics suck- I'd defintly start there.

I use shure sm57's on the snare and toms, 58's on the overheads, and an AKG D112 on bass drum. I think the mics are fine, and my recordings sound good, so the placement of the mics are not an issue. The problem is that the records don't have that warm sound that analog recordings or mic preamps give. I just want to know whether the tracks will get a warmer sound if I run the recorded tracks through the mic preamp during mixdown.

i had never lived until i used a couple AT condensers as overheads.... nearly threw my 58 away after hearing the difference in sound...

sub mix the drums through your board, use the stereo bus into a dual mic pre, voila, nice and toasty.

I use the Envoice by Mindprint.
In my VS1680 I process the drum track one at a time to another virtual track.
It is Ear's candy.
mic pre/low eq/mid eq/high eq/ freq filtered compression/ dial in tube saturation with real tube. Class A mic pre.
Accepts mic, line and instr. It rules.
I left my ART unit on the shelf.No offense to the ART lovers in this forum. I used it for 4 years. There is much better out there now.

Anyway you can do this stuff with the VS1680 or any unit with virtual tracks.

Sounds simple, but he's locked with what is recorded. If yo9u go dry and play after, then you help it sit in the mix. The VS unit has the tracks for that reason. So you don't have to commit until it's time. The less effect until mixing is always the best solution. Do you not agree?

Back